• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AJPTurbo....Brad is the Man.

Started by SM105K, October 29, 2018, 10:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

I started working with Brad about 3 months ago on a tune for my bone stock 2013 SHO PP. I bought it to be my daily.  It started with a 2 bar 91 octane tune. I wanted something mild yet fun. I installed a drop in K&N and 542 plugs.  I got a LiveWire TS+ from him with the tune and off we went.  The first tune woke the car up greatly.  I didn't dyno it but you could feel a difference.  Later on I installed a 3 bar and the revision was made. 

After 5 months of owning the car I put 12,000 miles on her and pumped the brakes.  She went into the garage, and the GTI was put back on daily duties.  Tuned, Turbo, 5 speed cars are really fun.....

I asked Brad to start working on a E30 tune for me.  I had a couple of goals since the car wasn't my DD anymore. I wanted to crack 400 AWHP and run sub 12.50 at full weight with a quarter of tank of fuel with a tune only. 

Brad worked with me every step of the way and the car kept just getting better and better.  Being here in Phoenix we fight IAT's fiercely. Brad made the comment that I had the hightest IAT's he had ever seen.  Most dyno pulls and tracks pulls were done with the IAT's in 170 degree range.  Looks like the upgraded intercooler is needed here in AZ.

First track outing netted me with a 13.08 at 109.  Was having issues with car pushing on the line and it was over 100 degrees.

Brad started working on the tune and I set a quick dyno appointment.  This gave us more tools to keep chipping away at these goals. Car made 366 HP and 414 TQ on the PUMP E30 tune.  Once again high IATS and it was 105 degrees while on the dyno.  Went back to the track a couple weeks later.  In 3700 ft D.A. she clicked off a 12.85 @ 105.47. Getting closer to that goal.

Here in Phoenix our pump E85 is all over the place.  It can read E51 to E85.  Plus our regular gas is straight trash as well. So I decided that I was only going to run QT 91 octane fuel and mix it with Torco T85. Both fuels are readily available to me so why not?  This would give us a consistent fuel source and the T85 is a damn good fuel. 

Another dyno appointment and track day all in one. This time on the dyno it was 95 degrees.  With high IAT's and Brad in we hand pushed the SHO up to 391 HP and 470 TQ.  Almost cracked 400 AWHP Tune only.  I was extremely pleased and had a good laugh.  I told Brad she is good, and let's see what she does at the track.  In 2900 ft D.A. and 78 degrees she ran 12.61 @109.23.  Best MPH that night was 111.78.  So my goals are in reach tune only. Once it gets colder, and the D.A. improves I will get my goals.

Brad has been awesome to work with. The car runs great, and at no time have I felt like the car has been put on the edge.  Everything in the logs looks good, and Brad takes the time to get in depth with me about the changes and what to expect.  Now we just have to wait for Arizona's weather to cooperate with us so I can obtain these goals.  If you are looking for a tuner, Brad is the man. My numbers are better then most bolt on tuned cars...so I am happy.

Once my tune only goals are obtained. I will strip some weight out of her and see if we can get into the 12.25 range.  Realistically, I want to see an 11 second pass one day however that will probably have to take DP's, intercooler, and more weight deduction.   So stay AJPTurbo tuned....   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

4sfed

As far as Brad is concerned; THREE SNAPS, IN A "Z" FORMATION!  Brad is the man!
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SM105K

I have a couple more tricks up my sleeve....lol. We will crack 400 AWHP and go sub 12.50 tune only.   Take it to the bank.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Good fuel.  Is that too much to ask for?  Keep at it, the next time the hammer drops, the line will be obliterated!  :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on October 29, 2018, 12:38:18 PM
Good fuel.  Is that too much to ask for?  Keep at it, the next time the hammer drops, the line will be obliterated!  :thumb:

No, we will crack it on the E30 tune.  Just have to wait until it cools off.

Gray Brick

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

802SHO

Excellent review.  I'm so so happy with Brad's skillz as well!!!
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

Quote from: avidmotion on October 29, 2018, 05:20:33 PM
add meth inj meet 400 sooner

Why? My car makes more then most bolt on, meth cars.  I want to hit 400 AWHP tune only.

AJP turbo

Thank you for the review and praise. Yeah I'm pretty happy with the results and considering the DA no reason not to be satisfied. Your 1/4 mile E.T.'s were super consistent..It could do some damage in brackets. Close to 400awhp without meth is awesome any day of the week. And the torque my god that's got to be around 550 at the flywheel? The midrange is so strong in the 3.5

You Are right the tune is not running the car ragged. The midrange is around 16-17 psi and tapering to about 14-15 at redline. Knock sensor adding spark too. And solid fuel pressure on E30 at that boost is nice to see.

And the torque peak on the dyno is not simply a wild and wreckless boost spike..The tune uses throttle control to help boost spikes and to help prevent hugh fuel pressure dips than can come from forcing the throttle open.

Nice job and thank you, love seeing dyno charts from the calibration and reading the reviews.

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SM105K

Quote from: AJP turbo on October 30, 2018, 01:51:55 PM
Thank you for the review and praise. Yeah I'm pretty happy with the results and considering the DA no reason not to be satisfied. Your 1/4 mile E.T.'s were super consistent..It could do some damage in brackets. Close to 400awhp without meth is awesome any day of the week. And the torque my god that's got to be around 550 at the flywheel? The midrange is so strong in the 3.5

You Are right the tune is not running the car ragged. The midrange is around 16-17 psi and tapering to about 14-15 at redline. Knock sensor adding spark too. And solid fuel pressure on E30 at that boost is nice to see.

And the torque peak on the dyno is not simply a wild and wreckless boost spike..The tune uses throttle control to help boost spikes and to help prevent hugh fuel pressure dips than can come from forcing the throttle open.

Nice job and thank you, love seeing dyno charts from the calibration and reading the reviews.

Just getting started buddy.  We should crack 400 wheel next month when it cools down even more. 

After that, intercooler and custom downpipes, HPFP, and I plan to have an 11 second full weight EcoBoost SHO.

shoNoff

Brad really is awesome to work with. Ive worked with other tuners and Brad just listens to your feedback. He will tell you what is and isn't going to work. And tell you most importantly WHY he changed something and what he changed. Im still on his first revision as life has gotten in the way of sending him logs. But I know once we start cooking with 100 octane my shomu will fly.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

GhostlyGrenade

Brad is definitely the best tuner ive had the chance to work with. By far the best at explaining things and offering advice. +10 for ajpturbo
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

SM105K

Going to update this as we go.

Been DD'ing the SHO for the past 3 weeks. GTI is getting worked on. I took the SHO to Cali a couple of times, ect. During the second trip, I started getting over active BOV's. Mine are vented to atmosphere, (maybe re-vent them back to the stock locations, I am the fence) so they are very noticeable. Very light throttle they are doing their song and dance. I chatted with Brad and he told me log it. Took ME way too long to get the logs to him (my fault).

Friday night I took the BOV's off to check the o rings and they were good. I had the cover off and everything and did a once over of the top end. I went out and data logged the car and sent them to Brad late Friday night. I looked that the logs and noticed there was a difference in tip boost and MAP boost pressures. I was seeing 29 psi at the turbos, but only the commanded 18 psi at the MAP sensor. I didn't think much of it at the time, being up for 20 hours didn't help this. In hind sight, I know better.

I ended up going to the track Saturday afternoon/night and ended up running a PB. The car was getting it in the 8th mile, but just didn't seem right on the big end. It has run as fast as 112 in 1/4. It only ran 108.98 as the fasted pass that night. Packed it up disappointed because I thought she would run faster with it being way colder, way better DA, and a way better 60 foot. I know the 60 foot can affect MPH, however I didn't think 4 to 5 mph.

On the way home Brad literally emails me and says, "DON'T DRIVE THE CAR HARD!" OOPS. He could see in the logs that something wrong and told me to check all of my boost reference hoses. He also saw the difference in boost.

Sure enough he was correct. I got home and yanked the cover, and there she was. A hose was detached. Why any line that sees boost that isn't properly secured (hose clamp, spring clamp, zip tie, bubble gum, super glue, Ford was stupid about this) is beyond me. I posted pictures. Long story short, the turbos were running away (over boosting). The computer sees this and actually closes the throttle to limit boost into the motor (Ford was smart about that). I fixed the line and now she is back to normal and now has the big end rush again.

At the track with the boost reference line issue the car was getting all the boost out off the launch. The computer saw this and started closing the throttle during the pass, so....maybe in January we will see a faster pass.

Long story short car went faster (not at 100%), check your boost reference line (clamp it down), and SENT IT!

Also my SHO at full weight (no weight reduction) with me in it (240 lbs) and a quarter tank of gas weighs 4560 lbs. So 4320 by herself.