• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Incoming Grokker

Started by Grok, October 17, 2018, 12:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

Just found this forum, thanks to a link in an explorerforum post. I'm hoping to learn a lot about this platform and what's possible for the 3.5L TT on the 2018 Explorer Sport. My previous ride was a 2004 Volvo S60R that I bought new and modded for 14 years and 160K miles. Gave it up after USAA pronounced it totalled after a BMW hit and run me (no injuries) on I-95 one dark night.

The ExSport met all my needs at a really good price for the features. Tonight I installed the Livernois tune, 3bar MAP sensor, and tomorrow the 160-degree thermostat. Looking to increase the intake air volume by adding a 2" hose to the stock airbox, inlet location unknown yet, suggestions welcome.
2018 Ford Explorer Sport in Burgandy Velvet 401A Livernois tuned, running boards, window visors, roof rails, American flag decals

SHOdded

Welcome to the community, congrats on the new ride, albeit via dire circumstances (long time to hold onto a car :) ).

Most people end up staying with the stock inlet(s) - one down in the fender where the snorkel is aimed and one up front via the grille.  If you really wanted to improve I suppose you could extend the snorkel to the "fog light" area.  But I suggest that for race day only.  Even if you protect that opening properly, there is a risk of water intrusion.  Not as much as in a low slung sports car probably, but still ...

The stock airbox is actually designed very well, you can add volume for upper rev ranges with a dropin filter such as K&N, and the tune will adapt to maximize the value of that additional airflow.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on October 17, 2018, 12:11:30 AM
Welcome to the community, congrats on the new ride, albeit via dire circumstances (long time to hold onto a car :) ).

Most people end up staying with the stock inlet(s) - one down in the fender where the snorkel is aimed and one up front via the grille.  If you really wanted to improve I suppose you could extend the snorkel to the "fog light" area.  But I suggest that for race day only.  Even if you protect that opening properly, there is a risk of water intrusion.  Not as much as in a low slung sports car probably, but still ...

The stock airbox is actually designed very well, you can add volume for upper rev ranges with a dropin filter such as K&N, and the tune will adapt to maximize the value of that additional airflow.

The stock air box and a K&N drop in are the best bang for your buck. Welcome to the community.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |