• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS Touchscreen MyCalibrator

Started by StealBlueSho, October 11, 2018, 01:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Received the LMS Touchscreen MyCalibrator today, ordered it on Tuesday and it was here on Thursday.  Comes with the Touchscreen Unit, OBD2 to RJ45 cable to interface the car and the calibrator, and the USB cable. Plus a plethora of stickers.

The RJ45 connects to the back of the unit and not the bottom, so my current suction cup based window mount will not work with it cleanly, you can see in the picture why...

Not sure if this will effect everyone, but to protect the IP of the tunes, LMS masks the strategy of the HPFP tunes. So in order to start using the new unit I need to wait for LMS to reload my old mycalibrator with my stock strategy, revert the car to the stock calibration, update the new tuning device with my current HPFP tunes, and then connect my new tuning device to the car for updates. Anthony said it should be a simple matter of pushing the tunes back out to the devices. Waiting on a call to let me know I can start.

In any event, the screen is full color which is neat, the device is light weight, and takes up very little room.   There is a new software package that needs to be loaded onto your computer that you interface with. Once I get things all setup with LMS and the tunes swapped over I will update this.. and probably create a how to on datalogging with their device.

StealBlueSho

Just playing around with the gauges... there are a BOAT LOAD of parameters to monitor.. I am not going to even attempt to list them all here at the moment.. I am hoping once I can get the device registered on the computer there is an easier way to select them than the touch screen... otherwise.. a stylists would be a good to have...

SHOdded

Great info as always!  Except for the location of the RJ45 port, everything to get excited about :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StinkinLinkin13

So is the cost still as if your a first time buyer? For those of us already running tunes and own the generic my calibrator and want to upgrade?
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

StealBlueSho

This is gonna take awhile...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

OK... could things to note thus far...

1: It takes A LONG time for the calibrator to pull your stock file and save it. So when LMS says make sure you have a full charge on the battery and possibly a batter helper on it.. they mean it.

2: The available datapoints to datalog are plentiful, however, a lot of the naming convention is different for the pids. So there is a learning curve in trying to figure out which ones you want to look at.. aka.. knock is proving to be a difficult one to track down..

3: Datalogging in an of itself is a bit lack luster.. you can datalog up to 6 pids at a time which you can argue whether thats good or bad... the lack of being able to datalog 20pids at once kinda stink but usually you are only looking for a few datapoints anyway... so who knows... however you can store up 4 different datalog sessions on the device at any time... which is really nice.

4: You can IMPORT the datalog into live link if you wish, you just need to modify the column format on the time pid... for best results I have found it better to take an existing time column from an SCT device log and paste it into it. You dont have to do it this way but you can... another option is to use the native graph features within excel which work really well..

Overall I think the device is worth while replacement.. but it doesn't have the eye candy and ease of use that the SCT devices offer from a technical datalogging stand point... I do need more time to play with it to get all the ins and outs down.

Thanks the Anthony over at LMS for getting this squared away for me.

StealBlueSho

Picture of the "Gauges"

StealBlueSho

Pictures of the menu to select data points to monitor...

Those are high level categories with more options as you drill down into each category.

StealBlueSho

Main menu

Diag options

Bronco2fan

So excuse my ignorance, but LMS is data logging now or is that something they've always offered before? Plus you didn't comment on if they gave a deal on previous mycal owners for the new system. It does look like it offers much more then the other system. Very nice.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Bronco2fan on October 11, 2018, 06:11:36 PM
So excuse my ignorance, but LMS is data logging now or is that something they've always offered before? Plus you didn't comment on if they gave a deal on previous mycal owners for the new system. It does look like it offers much more then the other system. Very nice.

Datalogging is a new feature... it was not something did with the old Mycal device....

And I would suggest you call them for pricing.

SHOdded

I like the manual transmission pid :D

This is the first iteration of the device, might get down and funky in the next iteration w regards to datalogging, but time will tell.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on October 11, 2018, 06:19:22 PM
I like the manual transmission pid :D

This is the first iteration of the device, might get down and funky in the next iteration w regards to datalogging, but time will tell.

I am not sure... the descriptions are all different...

For example.. the IAT2 PID in SCT is ACT2 in LMS.. which is under the Turbo category...

There are two datapoints for knock... KNKSNS1_CNT and KNKSNS2_CNT.. but the data being displayed is more traditional information.. not a + or - like you would see in SCT.. its displaying the raw noise data.. which I have no clue how to interpret yet.

I CANNOT find the PID for boost... there is DSD_Boost which I assume is desired boost.. but its not in KPA or PSI..and doesn't tell me...

the learning curve on this is going to be interesting... but what it does tell me, is that engineers put this together... and that if they are pulling this information to develop tunes or to trouble shoot their tunes... I am pretty sure they are not using a mainstream tuning software.. I don't think... lots of questions...

SHOdded

Well, if you get 200 units of boost, it probably is not psi unless they are decimalating the numbers too :D

I have raw noise numbers on my Edge using Forscan.  The only value is comparing to the numbers for a "standard" engine of the same variety.  And I do not know where to get that data.

ZSHO

Stellar SBS! Now Just getting accustomed to the new hardware ! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|