• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Emergency brake lever not engaging

Started by wraitherx, October 10, 2018, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraitherx

So this morning I get into my car and everything is working perfectly. I always engage when parking. Just a habit from manual cars. I go to leave my dental appointment and once I get to my friends house the damn thing is not ratcheting and locking and now the "ebrake" light is constantly on. Put the car in drive and and held the ebrake down and it engaged and didn't allow the car to move. I'm leaning towards the lever mechanism going bad. Thoughts?  And no warranty left. Just 5k left on powertrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

Parking Brake
The parking brake system consists of the following components:

Parking brake control and front cable assembly
Rear parking brake cables
The parking brake system is a mechanical system that activates a self-adjusting brake ratchet system within the rear brake caliper.

The parking brake system is cable-actuated and controlled by an independent foot-operated parking brake control. The parking brake system is actuated when the parking brake control is pressed and released by pressing the parking brake control a second time. The parking brake control applies tension to rear parking brake shoes through the front parking brake cable and conduit, and the LH and RH rear parking brake cables. The respective rear parking brake assemblies are then applied.

The parking brake cable tension is self-adjusting inside the parking brake control.

==

Basically, all mechanical so you have to check the cables, the rear calipers, the whole shebang.  Seems like the range sensor may not be detecting shifter in park correctly?  Next time it does that in Park, move to Neutral/Drive etc then back into Park and see if it works then.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wraitherx

May have not explained it right. Sorry. I tested to make sure the brakes were actually working I took the car out of park holding the brake pedal and then held the ebrake pedal down as far as it would go and removed my foot from the brake pedal and the car didn't move. Then I put it back in park. So to me the brake system works but just isn't latching and locking like it should at the ebrake pedal and the ebrake light is constantly on. Hopefully that makes sense now.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

wraitherx

So from when I went to go pull apart the kick panels that was sitting at the bottom. Then once i looked there appears to be a white plastic piece that it actuated the locking mechanism and the tip of it broke. I was able to mess around with the part and it sounded as if it was going to latch but couldn't. Anyone got part numbers?

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

ZSHO

This is based on my Vin number since our vehicles are very similar! Hope this helps any.  Z

Ford OEM Control Parking Brake AG1Z2780B (UPDATED TO FB5Z2780A)

$54.77 ea

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-lever-asy-parking_ag1z-2780-b.html?Vin=1FAHP2KT5DG183206&Filter=()&Location=parking-brake,,2780

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

wraitherx

Thank you sir! 
Got the piece out and that piece is what pushes the mechanism down when fully disengaged to make it ready for the next time to engage it.

2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

ZSHO

Quote from: wraitherx on October 10, 2018, 08:41:22 PM
Thank you sir! 
Got the piece out and that piece is what pushes the mechanism down when fully disengaged to make it ready for the next time to engage it.

NP Brother! Please keep us updated.  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|