• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New EBC Rear Rotors not cleaning up

Started by Godfatherws, October 10, 2018, 09:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godfatherws

So I put EBC red stuff pads and their slotted rotors on. The front rotors cleaned the black paint off almost right away but the rear didn't. I now have 350 miles on them and decided to do my break-in. So after say the 4th hard 60-30 mph stop they felt glazed, rear rotors Still haven't completely cleaned up, almost but not all the way. To add I did just squeeze the calipers back in, no bleeding.
For the rears I didn't get the special tool, I just used a pair of channel locks to turn it while I had someone else tighten the c-clamp as I turned it. So idk maybe my shortcut way on the rear was not a great idea?...
I'm worried the front brakes are doing 90% of the work and thats why they couldn't handle the hard stops.
Has anyone seen anything like this?
2013 SHO non PP(X4 Unleashed 3 bar tune, LMS Dpipes, VTA, 170 t-stat, Modded Airaid, EBC brakes/rotors)

SHOdded

Pull the rear calipers off take a look at the pads, check for uneven wear.  Maybe even get the right tool from the parts store ("rental") if you doubt the pistons are properly seated.  Are the caliper bolts and slide pins greased well/free of rust?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Godfatherws

The slide pins were not rusted and I greased them with the EBC stuff(looks a lot like anti-seize)
They are already compressed so I don't see the tool doing anything now. I do agree I need to take a look at the pads and was thinking about just changing the brake fluid and a doing a good bleeding all around. I should note that the parking brake works quite well.
So I assuming that them not cleaning up is not normal?
2013 SHO non PP(X4 Unleashed 3 bar tune, LMS Dpipes, VTA, 170 t-stat, Modded Airaid, EBC brakes/rotors)

Godfatherws

SHOdded

It MAY take longer in the rear, as they are not as heavily engaged compared to fronts.  If you are regularly in situations where traction control or AWD is called for, then yes, you might actually see them cleaning up FASTER than the fronts.  This is due to a feature called Electronic Brake Distribution, part of the traction control features package.

As to how evenly the coating should come off and whether the pattern you posted looks normal, I have no experience.  I do know that if you buy the coated Ford/Motorcraft rotors, the wear pattern on the coating looks similar, almost like grooving, but after the coating is completely gone, the rotors look just fine.  So maybe just hang in there a bit longer.  As long as brakes are working fine, really, no worries IMHO.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Godfatherws

Well I guess they are working fine during normal driving but just doing 4x 60mph - 30mph and they got glazed. Soft pedal on easy stops, but I guess they still did OK on the next hard brake but just not as good as the first few.
Maybe I am expecting too much out of these. Not that I'm going to track-it but I was under the understanding that you could do some light tracking with the red stuff pads, I'm not feeling confident they would.

So the pic you posted, do you remember how many miles was on them?

SHOdded

less than a 100, 70 i think.  cleared up in another 70 or so.