• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

More problems 2010 sho

Started by Spyder3000gtvr4, October 07, 2018, 02:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder3000gtvr4

So I got the car a few months back as a donor for a build. Decided it was to nice to chop up and decided to make it a spare dd. I've put less then 10 miles on the car since I got it. Bought the car sight unseen with 150k was told it needed turbos. Replaced the turbos with turbos that had 20k (I thought they were new, Long story) put the turbos on super fun btw. the CEL is on (not sure if it was on before the turbo swap) changed all the fluids. The old oil wasn't milky and looked like it was done fairly recent. So i decide to do the timing chain the car has 150k and I have zero service history and more then likely reason for the codes. I just took off the intake and valve covers off and the oil with about 10 miles on it is milky. Antifreeze looks like new still with some copper fleaking in it, normal??? 1 of the intake runners is spotless front passenger side. All the others are blackish

Soooooooo is one of my recent turbos bad? Installed wrong? (Can't imagine that) headgasket all the sudden go out?  I guess at this point I might as well pop the head and do the head gaskets right? No I didn't do a compression or leak down test wasn't expecting yummy chocolate milk oil.
Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

ZSHO

I feel bad about all the mischief as of late! Its sometimes an expensive gamble.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Spyder3000gtvr4

Thanks for the video al of my driving was short but I did check the dipstick as I had to pull it out when removing the the valve cover and thought well that doesn't look right. I just can't believe that I apparently blew the headgasket after changing the turbos. 😔

SHOdded

You did the water pump along with the timing chains, right?  Head gasket failure on a SHO is rare, but yeah without a compression test, we are guessing.  Having the #s will help narrow the field for sure.  Sometimes a block will crack and cause all kinds of problems.  Was the clean side bank 2 or bank 1?  There tends to be uneven air flow and uneven levels of deposits between the banks.  Usually bank 2 is cleaner.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spyder3000gtvr4

I took the intake and valve covers off that's point I'm at so far. I haven't gotten to the chain and pump yet. There is def some play in the chain. As far as the clean intake it's the front of the engine passenger side just 1 runner not the entire side. Not sure what bank is which.

SHOdded

Bank1 is firewall side, Bank2 radiatorside.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mjhpadi

Did you ever check out to see what codes are being thrown by the engine. Instead of chasing problems you may or may not have, pulling info from the ECM may be of some help.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Spyder3000gtvr4

Yea pulled codes a few weeks ago.

FiveLeeter918

yow that's a lot of codes. Based on the codes, it sounds like your VCT solenoids are either unplugged or have gone bad.

Had it been driving ok otherwise?
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

Spyder3000gtvr4

It seemed to be driving fine but I don't know the car. I got to work on it a little today couldn't figure out the exact location to lock the cam locks on as the chains marks didn't line up where it was supposed to. So I ignored the chain and went off the tdc on the rear passenger cylinder (#1) and the timing marks on the intake gears. But the problem is I don't have this mystery tool to lock the crankshaft pulley. Can't find any information on it and I might have just messed up the head. I put the cam locks in and figured I'd use the timing chain to hold the crankshaft pulley and jumped the timing 2 teeth. Can't wait to find out if I messed anything up now but I'm more annoyed by not being able to find this damn tool (2 pin spanner according to this useless Hayes manual that is not sho specific)

SHOdded

I haven't seen any tool necessary for the crank, just the cam locks.  On either the naturally aspirated 3.5 or the Ecoboost version.

Spyder3000gtvr4

Well not sure how to lock the motor to loosen the crankshaft bolt to get the pulley off. I can't imagine its just by putting in the cam locks as I jumped two teeth and can only imagine the damage that's done to the valves. Here's a picture in the non specific book.

SHOdded

The manual says to use a strap wrench, a 3 jaw puller and an oil seal remover to deal with the crankshaft portion of it before removal of the front cover.  Cam locks are "special tools", but should also be available for "rent" at the local auto parts store if you don't have them.

Using the Strap Wrench, remove the crankshaft bolt and washer.
Discard the bolt.

Using the 3 Jaw Puller, remove the crankshaft pulley.

Using the Oil Seal Remover, remove and discard the crankshaft front seal.

Spyder3000gtvr4

So 3 auto stores, harbor freight and a Home Depot later. Only hd had one and it was a cheap one with a rubber band. I made my own and this worked great. This is what should be used in my opinion anyway. It's not pretty but I was more concerned about getting 1 bolt off all day today.

SHOdded

Nicely done.  Putting the ole noggin to work :D