• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Taurus sho and mkt ecoboost driveline question?

Started by Spyder3000gtvr4, October 07, 2018, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder3000gtvr4

is the Taurus sho and mkt ecoboost driveline (engine and trans) the same? 
Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

suMWon

With some minor variation in the AWD systems in how they put down power and in what ratios to front and rear (MKS front bias SHO rear bias) the drivelines are the same, to my knowledge

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

bpd1151

How did you come about that the SHO is RWD bias?

That is inaccurate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ZSHO

Quote from: suMWon on October 07, 2018, 01:39:39 PM
With some minor variation in the AWD systems in how they put down power and in what ratios to front and rear (MKS front bias SHO rear bias) the drivelines are the same, to my knowledge

I think the OP was referencing the Taurus sho and mkt ecoboost driveline!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

suMWon

Quote from: ZSHO on October 07, 2018, 06:26:56 PM
Quote from: suMWon on October 07, 2018, 01:39:39 PM

I think the OP was referencing the Taurus sho and mkt ecoboost driveline!  Z
Apologies, my eyes deceived me.

suMWon

Quote from: bpd1151 on October 07, 2018, 04:30:23 PM
How did you come about that the SHO is RWD bias?

That is inaccurate.

According to several posts I've read on forscan the MKS AWD Eco is front bias and the SHO is rear. Can anyone confirm this for me?

bpd1151

The GEN4 ('10-'12) & the GEN5 ('13-Current) SHO platform, as well as the Lincoln platform of same/similar model years are FWD bias.

Approximately 70% of the power goes to the front axle, and the remaining 30% dumps to the rear as/when needed.

Spyder3000gtvr4

So then the engine/trans are pretty much the same? I ask because I'm not using my Sho as a donor and found an2010 mkt ecoboost that needs a headgasket (and I'm pretty sure I'll be doing my headgasket on my Sho this week as I took off my valve covers and found chocolate milk oil) for only 2200$ so I was thinking of grabbing that as my donor for my midengine build. Not having any luck finding an f150 engine/donor with paperwork for a reasonable price
Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

bpd1151

My apologies as my original reply pertained to the MKS, **NOT** the MKT.

I politely defer to those who have more knowledge about the MKT for future advice/consultation.

However, that said, my info in regards to the SHO being FWD biased is still accurate.

SHOdded

The platform is still FWD biased on SHO Flex Explorer MKS MKT etc using the 3.5EB AWD setup.  However, FoMoCoSHO did note that in his 2015 SHO, the AWD gauge showed power TEMPORARILY going to 100% to the rear on a HARD launch.  No one else has followed up on this, so make of it what you will.

I think you should try to find a much newer powertrain tho, have to swap around some minor parts from 2010-12 engines like the crank tone wheel, coils, some sensors, etc.  But I think hi mileage EB powertrains with no maintenance history are a bigtime gamble.  Don't want to cheap cheap, if you know what I mean.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

Quote from: SHOdded on October 08, 2018, 08:03:13 AM
The platform is still FWD biased on SHO Flex Explorer MKS MKT etc using the 3.5EB AWD setup.  However, FoMoCoSHO did note that in his 2015 SHO, the AWD gauge showed power TEMPORARILY going to 100% to the rear on a HARD launch.  No one else has followed up on this, so make of it what you will.

I think you should try to find a much newer powertrain tho, have to swap around some minor parts from 2010-12 engines like the crank tone wheel, coils, some sensors, etc.  But I think hi mileage EB powertrains with no maintenance history are a bigtime gamble.  Don't want to cheap cheap, if you know what I mean.

I know it's been said that there are "issues" with the AWD which was why it ended up being disabled, I know I get similar events in my Flex when I launch it hard. I need to hook up forscan and take a look, back when I had my SHO I believe there were some values that you could go off of for the the power transmission to the rear
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

Vortech347

The AWD in all of the Ford cars (except RS) and baby SUV's are a transmission that drives 100% power to the front wheels, there is a module attached called a PTU that has a ring gear that is directly connected to a driveshaft.  At the rear of the vehicle there is a cute whittle clutch pack that can tighten up electronically and send some power to the rear wheels.  It is not a direct drive, It's something like 175ish ftlbs max?   It's a helper system.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

autobahn terror

Quote from: Vortech347 on October 08, 2018, 11:26:30 AM
The AWD in all of the Ford cars (except RS) and baby SUV's are a transmission that drives 100% power to the front wheels, there is a module attached called a PTU that has a ring gear that is directly connected to a driveshaft.  At the rear of the vehicle there is a cute whittle clutch pack that can tighten up electronically and send some power to the rear wheels.  It is not a direct drive, It's something like 175ish ftlbs max?   It's a helper system.

Hilariously accurate!!!
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

6500rpm

I had ran across a post on one of the boards that essentially stated that our cars (SHO) aren't technically AWD like some of the upper end Euro vehicles due to the 70/30 front to rear split. Are there advantages to one design over the other?
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SHOdded

Are these Euro models FWD or RWD biased, do you know?  The Taurus of course is FWD biased, and the AWD is actually quite good, if it were not the limitations of the PTU being jammed in there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!