• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What would be the behavior of a 'weak' BOV?

Started by TopherSho, October 04, 2018, 06:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

OK I had two issue crop up at once,  the whooshing sound,  and the fountain of meth from my coupler. I originally thought they were related.  But  I fixed the underhood engine bay washing system but the sound has persisted.  Against my better judgement I gave the dealership one last try and they advised the could not find any cracks, missing seals or popped of hoses beyond the turbos.  I could not see any popped hoses either when i looked but i am a clumsy ape...

Attached is a datalog,  I gave it a hard run after a couple light accerlation tests and found no glaring issues in the small light 0-60 logs...  in the hard 0-100 it seems to maintain boost,  seems to be running BETTER sparks values and seems within normal ranges for AFR and STFT with meth so i'm not sure what the BOV affects would be if it is giving up after ## amount of pressure.   I do not think is a full failure as the sound only occurs top end when i think boost is much higher.

thoughts? 

1-safe to drive to washington to watch the Seahawks kick the s*** out of the Rams this weekened?
2-what behavior would you expect from a weak BOV?  so far i see none besides sounding like i am strangling dustbuster under my hood. 

as always thank you in advance!
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Quote from: TopherSho on October 04, 2018, 06:25:51 PM
OK I had two issue crop up at once,  the whooshing sound,  and the fountain of meth from my coupler. I originally thought they were related.  But  I fixed the underhood engine bay washing system but the sound has persisted.  Against my better judgement I gave the dealership one last try and they advised the could not find any cracks, missing seals or popped of hoses beyond the turbos.  I could not see any popped hoses either when i looked but i am a clumsy ape...

Attached is a datalog,  I gave it a hard run after a couple light accerlation tests and found no glaring issues in the small light 0-60 logs...  in the hard 0-100 it seems to maintain boost,  seems to be running BETTER sparks values and seems within normal ranges for AFR and STFT with meth so i'm not sure what the BOV affects would be if it is giving up after ## amount of pressure.   I do not think is a full failure as the sound only occurs top end when i think boost is much higher.

thoughts? 

1-safe to drive to washington to watch the Seahawks kick the s*** out of the Rams this weekened?
2-what behavior would you expect from a weak BOV?  so far i see none besides sounding like i am strangling dustbuster under my hood. 

as always thank you in advance!

In addition what the heck does ford ''CALL'' a BoV .. Rockauto does not list any entries under 'blow' 'valve' for the BOV..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on October 04, 2018, 07:21:05 PM
The BOV is called an Air Duct valve . Z
$49.88  ea.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-air-duct-valve-aa5z9u465a/?c=Zz1jb29saW5nLXN5c3RlbSZzPWludGVyY29vbGVyJmk9S0QwOTA2MzUmcj1sYXllcl8xMiZhPWZvcmQmbz10YXVydXMmeT0yMDEzJnQ9c2hvJmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,9215.0.html

.. Air Duct valve ? :P  that is a very informative name :P  .. thank you sir.

Are the the same for both BoV?  my plan is to swap in the new part in each position and test so as to not buy 2 and find out i'm wrong:P

SHOdded

I see a revision D is out now too.  Hopefully you get that shipped to you.  RockAuto does not seem to carry this part.

Yes, same for both BOVs.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on October 04, 2018, 07:29:18 PM
I see a revision D is out now too.  Hopefully you get that shipped to you.  RockAuto does not seem to carry this part.

Yes, same for both BOVs.

Perfect.   i just ordered 1,  if it fixes the issue i will order another for S&G's ...

ZSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on October 04, 2018, 07:22:34 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on October 04, 2018, 07:21:05 PM
The BOV is called an Air Duct valve . Z
$49.88  ea.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-air-duct-valve-aa5z9u465a/?c=Zz1jb29saW5nLXN5c3RlbSZzPWludGVyY29vbGVyJmk9S0QwOTA2MzUmcj1sYXllcl8xMiZhPWZvcmQmbz10YXVydXMmeT0yMDEzJnQ9c2hvJmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,9215.0.html

.. Air Duct valve ? :P  that is a very informative name :P  .. thank you sir.

Are the the same for both BoV?  my plan is to swap in the new part in each position and test so as to not buy 2 and find out i'm wrong:P
I would on a Temporary basis disconnect the harness connector leading to one BOV @ a time to see if your symptom's,noise still persist! Bit of Trial and error. Z

BTW Other Names: Valve, Adapter Seal, Air Pipe Seal, Seal.   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

? Adapter seal? How on earth would one surmise BoV ... sheesh!

QuoteI would on a Temporary basis disconnect the harness connector leading to one BOV @ a time to see if your symptom's,noise still persist! Bit of Trial and error. Z

i totally forgot they are electric.. wont throw a code ?

ZSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on October 04, 2018, 08:01:49 PM

QuoteI would on a Temporary basis disconnect the harness connector leading to one BOV @ a time to see if your symptom's,noise still persist! Bit of Trial and error. Z

It will probably emitt a code! The simplicity of trial and error
Z

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on October 04, 2018, 08:15:08 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on October 04, 2018, 08:01:49 PM

It will probably emitt a code! The simplicity of trial and error
Z

i will try it tomorrow .. i lack good night lighting .. thanks for the tip!

ecoboostsho

Your waste gate percentage seemed pretty steady around 80%...if it was leaking badly I would expect that to keep climbing and max out? 
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

TopherSho

Quote from: ecoboostsho on October 05, 2018, 11:33:30 AM
Your waste gate percentage seemed pretty steady around 80%...if it was leaking badly I would expect that to keep climbing and max out?

Honestly I would not know for sure,  i figured if 1 was bad unplugging one then the other would 'stop' the noise.  So I did the test today and the noise 'changed' after the test.  it is still hissing VERY loudly,  but not 'whoosing' any more :( ..

80% is right where it always has been, that and the stft and boost are all super in line with old logs so i am not as concerned as i was.  Were out of race season to its  fine ta this point with rain coming for the next 4 months.

Given it seems fine so i'm just going to let it be noisy.. something will pop and it will be easy to find.  Or it wont and next spring i'll have shiny chrome\black hot pipes..

I have had so many issues i just don't have the will power to hunt it down right now.  I planned on full metal hot pipes anyways so we will revisit this later. 

ZSHO

I forgot to mention are your Bov Vta! 
Check for loose connections in Air intake pipe,hoses leaking.  Z

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on October 06, 2018, 07:08:24 AM

Good tip but no, they are OEM and feed back to the intake... however I had the idea that maybe I should make them vent to atmosphere one at a time and see if one is louder

TopherSho

Quote from: TopherSho on October 07, 2018, 01:44:16 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on October 06, 2018, 07:08:24 AM

Good tip but no, they are OEM and feed back to the intake... however I had the idea that maybe I should make them vent to atmosphere one at a time and see if one is louder

Update: 

It has opted to not make weird noises any more all by itself.   I received the new BoV and enie-meanie-mini-moed and replaced the front BoV with the new unit and am just monitoring.. if it gets hissy and whooshy again i will swap it to the rear.    As a pure 'WTH why not' I pulled the remaining old one and silk tipped a tiny bit of oil on the orange ring to hopefully give it more seal.

meh .. solved for now?