• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SP542 plugs: A solution, or avoiding finding the problem?

Started by SHOdded, September 30, 2018, 11:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Curious about the growing number of people running tunes and shifting away from SP534 at 0.030 to SP542 at 0.028.  The tunes and mods being used in conjuction with the plugs are not even what I consider "HOT", but seem to be welcomed in case of mysterious KR, for example.  AFAIK, these folks are using Top Tier fuel too.

For a long time, Livernois has held the SP534 at 0.030 as a gold standard for the tuned SHO.  Unleashed has differed only in using plugs with a 0.028 gap.  Is spark blowout a real phenomenon with engines making "only" 400+ AWHP?  Is it only if you are running methanol or/and ethanol?

Thoughts?  Links to literature?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I most recently installed the NGK 97177 LTR6CI-8 Laser Iridium Plugs and immediately noticed a much more smoother idle than ever before IMHO!
The NGK 97177 precious metal plugs are a bit more expensive than the Motorcraft SP534 & SP542 which are a re-branded version of the NGK and are indeed made by NGK!
There is nothing wrong with expermnting a bit if you don't mind swapping your plugs as in my case.  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Just went through this...

I called LMS to speak them directly about this. They told me SP-534 is still the recommended plug UNLESS you are heavily modified then a step cooler plug is recommended. They didn't specify what heavily modded means. They also recommended stock coils since they have been able to produce well over 600hp with the above combination.

I spoke with Matt Robinson about this too... he recommended the SP-542 gapped at .026 for my setup for a more efficient burn and to avoid spark blow out. He said my current power out put which should be around 500tq doesn't need MSD coils with my plugs gapped at .026 and to save the money.

Matt said the MSD coils produce 15% more power to the plugs. Not a whole lot.

Real world feel? I would say that Z is right, initial warm up and idle is much smoother. The higher RPMs are smoother but that could be the tune. I'm getting very minimal KR... I think they are worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Z is running methanol and you are on E30 right?  Wonder if someone on 93 and tune would notice similar benefits.  Any effect on fuel consumption?  Does the fuel trim run richer?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Its only been a few days with the new plugs,but think my fuel consumption is up a bit @ 17.4 mpg with mostly city driving. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Macgyver

AJP tuned and I run the 534's. Fuel quality might be the issue for most I would think compared to spark plugs. My fuel is super good according to him and he let the spark go. No KR or pinging at all then.

E30 tune the same. Says I have great fuel and the SHO was easy to tune.

Car is so much faster than stock.

ToMang07

With my mods I'm averaging 21mpg on 93. I tend to drive like an a-hole and mostly hilly back roads 35-55mph zones.
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

StealBlueSho

Ha! E30 with the HPFP on SP-542's I'm gettjng 18 avg... that's up from LMS which had me at 16avg...

Changes were plugs and tuner though.

SHOdded

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 30, 2018, 07:07:39 PM
Thanks guys for all your input!  Keep it coming in :D

Are you considering changing plugs?

SHOdded

Hair plugs, yes.  Spark plugs, no.  No SHO, no need LOL.  It just seems like more people have chosen this as a goto for the very real issue of KR, so I am trying to ascertain if this is a viable longterm solution that does not end up creating another problem in the process.  Treating the symptom vs the cause kind of thing.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 30, 2018, 07:13:18 PM
Hair plugs, yes.  Spark plugs, no.  No SHO, no need LOL.

Let us not talk about hair...... I dread going to the barbershop now... there is less hair they need to cut everytime....

SHOdded

But they won't drop their rates, will they?  In fact might even raise them, to account for the care taken in preserving the "remains".  LOL.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 30, 2018, 07:16:10 PM
But they won't drop their rates, will they?  In fact might even raise them, to account for the care taken in preserving the "remains".  LOL.

I asked last time.. they said no sadly...

ZSHO

I think you will need to inspect or replace the Boots (COP) depending on the year in conjunction with new spark plugs as per NGK!  It also seems the Gaps have decreased from 0.035 to 0.032 from the factory throughout the years! Dunno! Z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ICexOws0fQXxAu7O9vPDRBrGWKEj4sj6/view