• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Swapping down pipes..Hard moderate easy?

Started by TopherSho, September 21, 2018, 03:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

I am *thinking* of putting on some form of HF cats/downpipes.  But I am skipping the shop.  it looks like it is a matter of dropping the shield and being on a reasonably tall set of stands and having a wrench and socket wrench. 

can this be done by a old man reasonably ?

My hope is to gain faster spooling.  I really dislike the lag the car currently has.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TopherSho on September 21, 2018, 03:46:41 PM
I am *thinking* of putting on some form of HF cats/downpipes.  But I am skipping the shop.  it looks like it is a matter of dropping the shield and being on a reasonably tall set of stands and having a wrench and socket wrench. 

My hope is to gain faster spooling.  I really dislike the lag the car currently has.

I personally wouldn't do it without air tools... and the O2 sensors can be hard to get out....

I have done pipes in the past but always with air...

On my 2010 I had a local shop knock it out for $200... worth...every...penny...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 21, 2018, 04:01:10 PM

I personally wouldn't do it without air tools... and the O2 sensors can be hard to get out....

I have done pipes in the past but always with air...

On my 2010 I had a local shop knock it out for $200... worth...every...penny...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All right,  maybe I will go likely that route then I am lacking any impact/air tools.   
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

nickstewartroc

I did mine in my driveway back when I had my SHO, it was a royal pain with not much room, and it being very "wiggly" on the jack stands. +1 for the air tools though, not sure I could have done it without them
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

5ohSHO

It is a lot easier if you pull the front passenger wheel and have long extensions. A universal for your socket is also nice to have.

shoNoff

I did mine on my buddies lift at his shop. Major pain in the ass we had to cut all 6 nuts off the studs on the turbos. Then of course replace all the studs. Car only had 44k on it when I switched. But here in New England we friggin use enough brine and salt to make McDonald's jealous. I didn't even bother tying to get the o2's out just bought new ones.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

802SHO

When I worked at a shop detailing and tinting, one of the techs helped me(or I helped him) install mine on a lift over the weekend.  All the compressors were turned off, not sure why we didnt turn them on...so he did it by hand, well with a breaker bar..penetrating lube....torch..Had to replace 3 studs. Was able to use the original O2 sensors.  Came with its share of issues, leaving and going to buy studs to replace the studs we used from the shop.  Definitely took longer than previously anticipated.  Overall it wasnt as rusted as expected with the weather up North.  Car is from MA but its the same weather. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Jordan

I did mine around 100k with a buddy of mine who is a ford tech. We just shot some penetrating lube on the studs then disconnected the exhaust and hit them with some air tools after. Car was still hot when we did it. They gave a little fight but came out pretty easy in the end. Air tools is an absolute must and can be done in like an hour with the right tools and a lift. Don't destroy your back trying to do it on jack stands.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

jims2015

My car was less than 6 months old and when the down pipes arrived. I thought it would be a piece of cake with the relatively few miles and no rust on anything. I heard my PP model would be more difficult. I have all air tools so I started the project on jack stands and the front turbo and pipes went well. But I ran into trouble removing the rear turbo down pipe and was scared of rounding off the nuts so I put it all back stock and drove to Livernois. It was still a new car and I wanted it done right. I left the car there and rented a car to go home. Livernois did a professional looking job on the down pipes and Alky Control meth install and set it up on the dyno while there. I've never been sorry taking this route.
2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods

ZSHO

I would just spend the extra $$$ since you have a 2011MY! Sometimes the contributed rust buildup throughout the years will make it a difficult task without the aid of air tools and even with Pb-Blaster,especially with the turbo studs and 02 sensors.
BTW you need to take extra precaution NOT to twist the 02 sensor wiring .  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|