• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AC Fan In Outdoor Compressor Unit

Started by StealBlueSho, September 18, 2018, 04:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

So the bearings in my AC compressor fan (the big fan ontop of the coils on the outside unit) are apparently toasted. Sounds like a diesel truck warming up when it runs... got a quote for over $1,000 to replace it.. looking online the fan blades and motor are only about $250 combined... anyone ever replaced theirs? I can't see $750 in labor charges...

wraitherx

It's easy. Turn off the breaker, remove cover, unplug, remove, replace fan and motor. I've done it on a Trane as well as a Lennox unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 SHO PP
1999 SVT Cobra Built

SHOdded

Yeah, easy peasy.  Not even that heavy.  Just dont damage any fins on the coil in the process.  Replacement parts are not near the same quality these days, and refrigerant is an arm and a leg lol.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Thanks for the info... after looking it over, checking some youtube videos... installing a meth kit is way more effort... ordering the new fan motor tonight. Thanks guys!

SHOdded

Hmmm, a meth kit for an A/C unit.  Didn't think of that!  Well, off to the drawing board!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 18, 2018, 06:56:20 PM
Hmmm, a meth kit for an A/C unit.  Didn't think of that!  Well, off to the drawing board!

Super cooling the coils.... ya know... for efficiency...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoNoff

SBS I used to be a service tech for an hvac company years ago. Like others have said fairly easy job. Just be sure not to damage any fins on the coil. Also always be sure to turn your breaker off. Hell if you installed a meth kit you could do this blind folded.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile