• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

TPMS Sensors

Started by jman, September 18, 2018, 04:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jman

I just bought a set of Winter tires for my 2010 SHO.
Found an awesome deal on a set of Michelin X-Ice 2 mounted on FAST F212 rims, all brand new, never used.

Seller said that the set was put together for a GM vehicle and he believes a set of TPMS sensors were also installed.

Going through the web I found that both, the SHO and many GM vehicles use 315 MHz sensors.
Anyone knows if GM sensors would work on my vehicle? I won't be putting the tires on until November but want to get ready in advance.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

SHOdded

I think you would have to reprogram the TPMS IDs to get them to work, at the very least.  Based on a member's experience with his XSport and FORD sensors.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

Depends on the sensor type. There are universal 315 and 433 sensors. They usually can only be cloned to your old ID number. So you would need the ID off your stock ones and a tool to clone them to that ID. If it's a direct fit for the gm it will be a different ID number and your car would never recognize them. I'll explain it this way say the original sensor in your car is named Joe. Your cars computer is always looking for Joe. When it sees Joe it can read the pressure and work great. If you put a different sensor in we will call that one Steve. Your cars computer has never met Steve so it has no clue who or what Steve is so it will throw a light.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

tarmstrong

Not sure about the sensors as I used Schrader units specific to the car, but you will need to reprogram them each time you change the wheels.  I bought a Ford TPMS programing unit for about $30.  It came standard with some of the F150's I think.  The tire rack sells the same one but it was more money.  Works great.

If you don't have the TPMS and just have the light on all winter when you put the summers back on it will recognize them after a few miles.
2018 Maroon PP SHO
K&N Drop-in

Previous: 2015 Dark Side Metallic PP SHO
3 Bar, K&N, Tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jman

Quote from: shoNoff on September 18, 2018, 07:39:59 PM
Depends on the sensor type. There are universal 315 and 433 sensors. They usually can only be cloned to your old ID number. So you would need the ID off your stock ones and a tool to clone them to that ID. If it's a direct fit for the gm it will be a different ID number and your car would never recognize them. I'll explain it this way say the original sensor in your car is named Joe. Your cars computer is always looking for Joe. When it sees Joe it can read the pressure and work great. If you put a different sensor in we will call that one Steve. Your cars computer has never met Steve so it has no clue who or what Steve is so it will throw a light.

As I stated, I believe the sensors are 315MHz.
The question is, is there a chance Steve, although it has the right age (315MHz), is not allowed to come play because he is wearing the wrong clothes (GM brand)? This just got weird :) :)

I do realize that the very first time Steve comes to the party he needs to be introduced, will the on/off ignition or hazard reset methods suffice to do this or do I need to buy one of those square looking tools I've seen around?

Once properly introduced, does the SHO store both sets? My Pathfinder does, it recognizes the new set after a few minutes whenever I switch from Winter to Summer tires or vice versa.

jman

Quote from: SHOdded on September 19, 2018, 09:08:33 AM
P/N TPMS19?
That is the square looking tool I was referring to....

jman

Yesterday I got my Winter tires on the vehicle. It took at least 25 minutes for the TPMS light to come ON.
It took so long I thought my SHO didn't have TPMS or had it disabled, not sure if I was relieved when it came ON as I now must deal with the warning light and message.
I still do not know what kind of TPMS my Winter set has on, it could or couldn't be compatible but I am willing to buy the relearn tool and see what happens.
I came across this listing:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-Ford-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Sensor-Training-Program-Tool-TPMS19-Band-Sensor-Only/182711432790?hash=item2a8a733656:g:4IwAAOSwAHtZ94eZ:rk:7:pf:0&vxp=mtr

So the question is, is there a tool for band sensors and another one for valve mounted ones?
This was the only listing I saw that had that note, all Chinese listings don't mention it.

SHOdded