• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Smoking on decel only

Started by Jordan, September 08, 2018, 06:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Quote from: glock-coma on September 09, 2018, 08:51:36 AM
Have you checked the intercooler for accumulation? Even with a good turbo you'll still get some oil in there.

Intercooler was cleaned out about 3 weeks ago. It had some in it, but how much I am not sure. I hung it up and spray brake parts cleaner in it and funneled the excess into a fuel can
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

StealBlueSho

Trading it in already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan

Ha, I have had it for over a year now. Been fighting this problem for a few months easily. It would be a few different things to trade it. Would allow me to get a slightly newer lower miles Taurus while also alleviating me of the oil in the exhaust problem that I can't seem to figure out.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Jordan on September 09, 2018, 11:18:22 AM
Ha, I have had it for over a year now. Been fighting this problem for a few months easily. It would be a few different things to trade it. Would allow me to get a slightly newer lower miles Taurus while also alleviating me of the oil in the exhaust problem that I can't seem to figure out.

If the trans and PTu are good, might be worth sending the motor to Supersix for a stroker kit... cheaper than buying a new car... I would have done that had everything else in my 2010 been sound....

Jordan

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 09, 2018, 11:20:02 AM
Quote from: Jordan on September 09, 2018, 11:18:22 AM

If the trans and PTu are good, might be worth sending the motor to Supersix for a stroker kit... cheaper than buying a new car... I would have done that had everything else in my 2010 been sound....

Can't exactly finance a stroker kit, however that would be cool, but would need for a lot of other upgrades as well at the same time! Don't feel like spending 3.8k plus another 4k in turbos and fueling none the less the price to put it together!

Gray Brick

I replaced my pcv valve and canister that mounts to the valve cover and my smoking on decel went away. 

Check all of you vacuum hoses... good vacuum helps the rings seal.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

AJP turbo

Quote from: Gray Brick on September 09, 2018, 12:57:10 PM
I replaced my pcv valve and canister that mounts to the valve cover and my smoking on decel went away. 

Yes and good vacuum helps the turbos drain . Also I doubt this is an issue but the 10w- oil you think the dealer used is not correct and will be a bit thicker when cold and will increase oil pressure which may be excessive for the seals..Garrett has a section on that issue
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Jordan

Quote from: Gray Brick on September 09, 2018, 12:57:10 PM

What do you mean by the pcv valve and canister? I replaced the valve cover and the PCV just not sure what you mean by using both those words. Also not sure what oil they used I assume it's whatever ford suggests which honestly I have never bothered to do an oil change myself on this vehicle so I am not sure what they call for.

AJP turbo

The canister separator on top of the valve cover you should try flushing with solvent or replacing..sho bro had that problem that helped with smoking
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Jordan

Quote from: AJP turbo on September 09, 2018, 01:30:44 PM
The canister separator on top of the valve cover you should try flushing with solvent or replacing..sho bro had that problem that helped with smoking

Ah yes that was replaced via the TSB for the valve cover. So that is all new OEM

Jordan

SHOdded

When was it replaced, Jordan?  If you are finding more than a misting of oil in the turbo piping, or a goodly amount of accumulation in the intercooler, worth changing out the PCV valve and separator.  At least pull them and inspect closely
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Jordan

Quote from: SHOdded on September 09, 2018, 07:33:57 PM
When was it replaced, Jordan?  If you are finding more than a misting of oil in the turbo piping, or a goodly amount of accumulation in the intercooler, worth changing out the PCV valve and separator.  At least pull them and inspect closely

3 weeks max on replacement.

Jordan

Like I said the PCV has not even been hooked to the intake for about a week now so nothing oil wise has been going into the intake from the PCV.

ryanp49

Typically smoke on decel with high engine rpm and closed throttle...AKA high vacuum situations, is a result of bad valve stem seals allowing oil to be sucked around the seals during high vacuum situations. Which explains why it doesn't do it any other time...now I will admit these cars with all their turbo piping and PCV routing make it hard to make a 100% certain diagnosis over the internet. But that's the typical scenario that bad valve stem seals will rear their ugly head...and as they get worse they will leak down into the cylinder over night and cause smoke on startup. Which some will diagnose as bad turbo seals...which it could be LoL Forced induction engines are fun...but they can be a pain when it comes to tracing certain issues down!