• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Smoking on decel only

Started by Jordan, September 08, 2018, 06:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

StealBlueSho

Does it smoke on startup or ANY other time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 08, 2018, 06:31:24 PM

Literally only on decel or if you rev it to 2k+ in neutral/park which doesn't really happen for me.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Jordan on September 08, 2018, 06:33:30 PM

Literally only on decel or if you rev it to 2k+ in neutral/park which doesn't really happen for me.

Could be piston rings if you have new turbos and have ruled them out...

I would pull some of the plugs and check them, additionally a compression check would be worth it.

Decel smoke would indicate a vacuum issue... are you running a catch can?

Jordan

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 08, 2018, 06:35:33 PM

I would pull some of the plugs and check them, additionally a compression check would be worth it.

Why would there be oil in the intake tract if it could be piston rings is my question? I have replaced the plugs and nothing looked out of the ordinary. I have pictures of them and they are all very even in terms of colors. It's been doing this for probably 5,000 miles now. I haven't done a compression test though, but never thought it would be necessary if it's intake side.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Jordan on September 08, 2018, 06:38:45 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 08, 2018, 06:35:33 PM

Why would there be oil in the intake tract if it could be piston rings is my question? I have replaced the plugs and nothing looked out of the ordinary. I have pictures of them and they are all very even in terms of colors. It's been doing this for probably 5,000 miles now. I haven't done a compression test though, but never thought it would be necessary if it's intake side.

Is the oil pooling at the TB? It's normal for a small amount of oil residue to be the intake track with these cars. Pooling is not though...

How much smoke are we talking about? Is it noticeable in the rear view?

Looking at that picture you posted, that doesn't look out of the ordinary... and if there was enough oil coming through the intake track into the combination chamber, you would see smoke at more than just decel.

Jordan

Here is a picture of plugs. And the noisemaker delete from EPP was put on 2-3 weeks ago. There was a decent drip at the bottom of the pipe. You can see a decent bit in the rear view if you really aggressively downshift or try to do it. Even was doing this when I was at the strip so I'd like to assume it wouldn't be lacking on compression if that's the case. I'll need to check the throttle body, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I took the pipe off, but can't say I was paying attention as I was really just checking the noisemaker pipe. Plugs were done last month and it's been smoking a long time longer then that.

StealBlueSho

Maybe someone else will chime in... but if you have done all the things you have said... then I would start with a compression test, that will let you know if the rings, valves, etc are causing the problem...

Otherwise you could have a DOA turbo but if it was doing before the original set were replaced, and again after, that leads me to believe it's mostly likely not a turbo...

Could try a catch can, but that would most likely hide an existing issue..

So is the smoking only on decel and when reving past 2K in Park? Cause your last post made it sound like it's also smoking when it down shifts going into wot?

Jordan

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 08, 2018, 07:00:46 PM
Maybe someone else will chime in... but if you have done all the things you have said... then I would start with a compression test, that will let you know if the rings, valves, etc are causing the problem...

Otherwise you could have a DOA turbo but if it was doing before the original set were replaced, and again after, that leads me to believe it's mostly likely not a turbo...

Could try a catch can, but that would most likely hide an existing issue..

So is the smoking only on decel and when reving past 2K in Park? Cause your last post made it sound like it's also smoking when it down shifts going into wot?

PCV is completely blocked on the intake manifold so there is no crank case ventilation going into the intake manifold. It has a catch can technically just that line is zip tied down. If you rev and hold above 2k it'll smoke decently and I mean on aggressive downshifts to slow the vehicle via engine braking. I didn't specify that at all thanks for catching that it made sense in my head.

ZSHO

True Indeed!  It sounds like a plugged crankcase ventilation system as noted ^^^
Inoperative turbocharger bypass valve!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Jordan

Quote from: ZSHO on September 08, 2018, 07:20:50 PM
True Indeed!  It sounds like a plugged crankcase ventilation system as noted ^^^
Inoperative turbocharger bypass valve!  Z

Haha I mean the PCV itself isn't blocked, but the port that it leads to the intake manifold has been blocked as I thought it may had been pulling excessive vacuum/ oil vapors into the engine causing the smoke, but that made no change as well.

glock-coma

Have you checked the intercooler for accumulation? Even with a good turbo you'll still get some oil in there.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

AJP turbo

I had this on my SHO as well. My car had 800 miles on it. I had catless DP's and a catback so NO cats. On decels and idle revs I would see and smell oil smoke. I never checked my PCV oil separator  back then so I don't know if it was clogged but I doubt it. Jordan I don't like you capping the intake and venting the PCV to atmosphere because turbo engines need to have some sucking of the crankcase. It helps the oil drains.

I hate thinking that new turbos are bad but maybe these turbos are just junky..I mean they are only like 500$

SOmetimes people overfeed oil to turbos or mount the drains too low in the pan but this is an OEM setup so you know that's right.

I have never or will never buy the idea that when back pressure is too low the turbos will smoke. Race cars have huge exhausts with no cats and I've run multiple turbos with not cats and 3" exhausts...A little oil can cause a lot of smoke so maybe your oil problem isn't as bad as you think.

Are you sure your catch can system is routed properly and check valves if you have any are fine?...All of this is why I route my crankcase hoses right into my filters in my turbo coyote...It's simple and I'm not worried about a little oil mist lowering octane, it's tuned for the octane it has.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

What type of oil R U using! sometimes the incorrect type or grade of oil can cause these symptoms... Check the 3-bar map sensor by the (intercooler) to see if any oil is present and proceed from there!  R your BOV -VTA!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Jordan

PCV was only unhooked to see if it was pulling excessive vacuum plus oil vapors into the engine. I'll hook that back up. And as far as oil I am unsure I get free full synthetic oil changes at my local ford store due to how many I get with my company car. (4 oil changes 5th is free so I just do the fifth on my own car) I do believe it's 10w30, but not 100%. I just don't get it and I am kind of at the point where I am tired of throwing money into this 114k mile car despite it being wonderfully reliable. Might just check out my local store and see about getting a decent mile SHO and swap all my goodies over.

However something I still need to do, but won't have the time to is pull off the charge pipes off the turbos and see if there is any excessive oil build up between the two. Assuming it could be a turbo then it would have more oil on it than the other... At least I'd hope.