• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Smoking from bad turbo

Started by Spyder3000gtvr4, September 06, 2018, 03:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder3000gtvr4

Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

ZSHO

@ -Bottom of thread!  Z

I have the roller chain setup but I don't plan on changing styles. I'm trying to get an idea of what items I should replace as basic maintenance while doing this job. I've ordered many of the items that were on the list you posted (as appropriate for my model/year) but suspect I'll be able to re-use some of the parts that you had to buy due to changing designs. I'll have many of these parts on hand, but will return what is not necessary and would rather not disturb anything on the engine I don't need to (just trying not to create any problems that don't exist).

https://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16661

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

As far as the SHO goes, same P/N for  years, at least w/r  to timing chains.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spyder3000gtvr4

Well this is what I came up with on rockauto didn't want to go on eBay

Thermostat:   Motorad 180'      7354180.      7.85$

Water pump:  ac Delco.            252941.        66.79$

Timing set:     Melling              31047s.         296.79$

Timing cover   Mahle.               Jv5183.        39.79$
gasket set:

Vvt solenoid.   Gates.               Vvs117.        36.79

Temp sensor is out of stock on rockauto guess eBay

Not sure how many vvt solenoids I need
Not sure what else I need, phasers? (Dont know what it is) valve cover gaskets?

Suggestions?

SHOdded

One vct solenoid per bank for the SHO

Would recommend to stay with motorcraft for wp and tstat, but your call.

Phasers are the big gears on each bank that, along with the solenoids, make automatic timing adjustability possible.  Also used for emissions/egr functionality.
https://itstillruns.com/cam-phasers-7210662.html

https://youtu.be/wQ8M1aw-5qw

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spyder3000gtvr4

Great information and awesome video thanks for sharing it. So i saw phasers and they were about 120$ each on rockauto. I didn't even think of oil pump so I'm going to look into that also now it can't hurt. It would be nice if somebody offered a complete kit, I'm sure I'm missing something. Between the turbos, gaskets and a complete timing setup i should have gotten that engine/trans setup for 1800$ oh well atleast I'm learning

SHOdded

It's a gamble on what you get either way, i think.  Hard to know even if you look it over before buying.

I don't think you need phasers, would not worry about them.  Phasers were issues on the F150, not the SHO.  They are not the same engine in MANY ways :)  Timing chains, water pump, tensioners, VCT solenoids are really all that need to be replaced.  The oil pump does not need replacing.  The only way it is worth replacing the oil pump is to install an upgraded Livernois pump, which is helpful in enthusiastic autox type driving.  There might be a coupla new bolts to be installed as some are TTY.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Lots of goodies in that article :thumb:

Spyder3000gtvr4

Yea uh I read that article thank you by the way. It says thisinnthe oil section:
        Change the oil and the problem goes away. How about using synthetic oil? Nope. It is the anti-foam additive package that gets depleted, not the breakdown of the base stock.

Uh I used synthetic....

SHOdded

all synthetics are not the same.  Due to legal allowances, synthetics can be highly refined Group III (dino oil), Group IV (true synthetic PAO), or Group V (esters & other true synthetics) OR a combination thereof.  There is little to no regulation of the mixture in the U.S.  It used to be (IDK if it still is) that in Europe, an oil could only be Group IV or V if it was marketed as full synthetic.

Depending on the base stock, volatility of "synthetics" could be 11 or could be 6.  BIIIG difference (Noack) in how much of the oil gets into the PCV system.

Spyder3000gtvr4

Did not know about how big of a difference between "synthetic" just assumed they were all basically the same.

So I guess my first step would be drain my oil and get conventional?

SHOdded

Going in the wrong direction there, buddy, LOL!  You should get a good quality full synthetic oil.  Redline is probably the best, the most recent formulations of Amsoil hold up well, as does Royal Purple HPS (not the SAE certified stuff).  Otherwise I would go with Kendall GT-1 Max or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.  Pennzoil has a rebate on right now I think, $10 off 5 gallon jug.

ZSHO

I wholeheartedly agree with SHOdded and seems like very sage wisdom!   :)
I have been using Redline & Amsoil since purchasing it new with 2 miles on the OD back on 8/13! In this case you definitely get what you pay for IMHO and Not an ounce of oil is lost between oil change intervals according to OCD Specs..... Z

Spyder3000gtvr4

Ok will look into those oils now. I just figured from what I read it sounded like the use of synthetic oil was a big no no and would cause some drama with the phasers