• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Smoking from bad turbo

Started by Spyder3000gtvr4, September 06, 2018, 03:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

(CHT) Cylinder Head Temp sensor.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Spyder3000gtvr4

Thank you both. I was able to locate it fairly easily with the picture from Sho and it looked a little funny so I checked it and sure enough it wasn't clipped in. I don't recall removing it but fired her up no high temp coolant light, temp gauge now reading, fans not on at start up. Purging the car now, let it get to temp turned heat on high and it feels weak at idle but nice and hot when I revved itup a few times. Cars jacked up as per your instructions. Letting it run a few more min since coolant level still fairly the same. Got about an ounce out of the intercooler maybe a little more if I countthe oil I sprayed all over the car, shirt and then did the dipstick about 50 times. Couldn't get it all but some has to be better then none.
Doesn't seem to be smoking as bad but haven't hit the street again yet, although it still stinks pretty bad and not sweet.
CEL still on... next step.

Cars been up to temp for about 20 min heat is on high and not hot at all at idle about 650rpm. Really hot at 3k rpm when I rev it then slowly cools down again
Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

Spyder3000gtvr4

So update:
Drive the car around before still lots of smoke under load flooring it. Then smoke dies down after 20-30 seconds. Still smoking while driving easily. Not as bad as before I did the turbos it was pouring out before the swap driving easily. Checked fluid no change
Let the car cool down a bit check the fluid no change. Went down the block floored it no smoke. Smoke started developing as car warmed up. Drove it easily smoke was still present but nowhere near as bad. Went to autozone to get codes pulled. Driving home got on a side block floored it, lots of smoke again and then check engine light started blinking.

SHOdded

Are you sure there are no accompanying rattles.  Almost looks like timing chain issues.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spyder3000gtvr4

I have zero prior maintenance history other then finding 1 piece of paper in the entire car showing an oil change a few years back. Judging how bad the rear turbo was I'm not sure how well the car was taken care of. The interior and exterior looks close to mint though. With that said I don't notice any rattles but I have zero prior experience with the sho other then this car. The only thing I noticed that I though sounded a little off was the thing under the foam circle thing under the pop off cover. That seems to be ticking. But with the sho cover on its barely noticeable. Again nothing to compare it to though.
Is it normal to pull codes and have the same one show up multiple times?

SHOdded

These engines basically sound like diesels coz they are similar in setup.  Post a video if you want confirmation.

I dont see the same EXACT code popping up multiple times.  I do see warnings of the same problem on both banks, which is what led me to the timing question.  None of the codes point to PCV or emissions, which tells me there is an active problem, just not in those areas at this time.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spyder3000gtvr4

On the autozone printout it has
code p0016 and p052b 3 times
Code p052d 2 times

I took a video but it won't let me upload it

Thanks so much for all the help

ZSHO

It sounds like your VCT-Solenoid on bank 1! The system is of the force-feed type in which oil is supplied under Full pressure to the crankshaft connecting rod bearings,time chain tensioner's and VCT solenoids . It could be something simple as a chafed wire which can be fixed by purchasing a pigtail..

Here'a similar topic below. Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5280.msg84366.html#msg84366

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Spyder3000gtvr4

Fantastic so I'll look into the wires and look into diagnosing/replacing a vct solenoid. Also read in the tread about timing chain stretching really hoping not to do a timing chain

Spyder3000gtvr4

Something is def up with the car. It's raining out and figured perfect it will dissipate the smoke a little and nobody's outside walking. Get out of the driveway get on the car instantly a few times no smoke like before gets up to temp starts smoking again when I get on it and CEL starts flashing again, weak acceleration running a bit rough. Thankfully only a 1/4" mike from home. :(

Izzybird

Look in to Forscan for a scan tool, quite handy on the fords. It was free for quite awhile, I assume it still is but not positive. I use a hard wire dongle, but the Bluetooth ones seem to do fine for a lot of people.
Wife's '15 SHO non PP

Spyder3000gtvr4

I will look into it and found a few post in a few forums about throwing similar codes and this timing chain being known for stretching. I know none of the cars history so I'm thinking timing chains maybe update to 2012+ replace the phasers/sensors? And just because it's only money and time and oh yeah I have nothing better to do water pump.

SHOdded

No real "updates" to be had in the timing area between Gens 4 & 5.  You can opt to put in new sensors at the time of work, tho.  If you do the water pump, do timing chain, tensioners, and guides, along with VCT solenoids.  The toughest part of it all, believe it or not, will be getting the front cover back on securely due to it using an RTV seal instead of a real gasket.

Spyder3000gtvr4

I read the chain was a different type and you had to change the gears?

SHOdded

Might be for the F150?  Different version of the 3.5EB in it.