• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Smoking from bad turbo

Started by Spyder3000gtvr4, September 06, 2018, 03:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyder3000gtvr4

So I bought an Sho a few months back with "bad turbos" The car was smoking like crazy I had to drive it home about a mile from where the car carrier had to drop it off. I bought a set of used turbos (was under the impression they were new) off eBay. I'm not a turbo expert but the turbos seemed good. So I swapped out the turbos with new gaskets and decided to change all the fluids. Rear, put, trans, rad, oil. I did get a little on the exhaust. I just took the car out for a test drive and the smoking is horrible. Anybody have any idea how long it will take to work the oil out of the exhaust?
Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

SHOdded

:o  Are you sure there isn't any leak at this point?  seems like a lot of oil got into the cats, so it could take a few days of a good amount of driving to burn it all off.  Hopefully the cats survive the process!  Also check the o2 sensors, they might be coated in oil if the leak is upstream.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spyder3000gtvr4

The rear turbo was toast in fact the shaft was broken in it so I'm sure it was dumping oil. Well I didn't replace the hoses like I found out I should have done and I do see some smoking from the rear area was hoping it was just stuff on the exhaust. Will check everything soon the check engine light is on and what I'm assuming is the radiator fluid light. I'm going to check now about how to properly "burp" the antifreeze. So I guess next step is to buy a scan tool to see what the code is. Lol should have bought the driveline I found for 2k

SHOdded

Oil feed lines do leak, both on the SHO and MKS.  Not sure about Flex/XSport.  Is the intercooler free of buildup?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Spyder3000gtvr4

I honestly have no idea I don't even know how to check that. I guess I'll research that as well

SHOdded

HOWTO on checking/cleaning the intercooler is available.  Basically use the engine oil dipstick after removing IC to TB hose. 

Spyder3000gtvr4

Well I replaced the battery and started the car this morning no check engine light no smoke but the coolant high temperature light was on again as soon as I started the car and fans both running. Let it run for 20 min then it started smoking but no visible leaks. Engine temp gauge didn't go up at all. Put the heat on full blast high temp and revved the engine as per the post I did find on purging/burping the system and fluid level didn't change. Turned the car off and let it sit about 2 minutes restarted car check engine light now on. Have to check intercooler like you said when I get back to looking at the car. As well as trying to find out if I missed a connection for this high temp light which I do not believe was on before turbo change. :)

SHOdded

If a CEL is on, it is a major item that needs to be addressed, so def read the codes.  Sometimes they are misleading, but usually help point in the correct direction.

I had assumed the smoking was from oil, is that 100% true?  Could there be coolant in there too?  I think that coolant high temp light was a red herring from the battery replacement, but best to make sure.

Spyder3000gtvr4

I can't really find a proper write up or video on burping/purging the coolant. I want to try that and see if that fixes the high coolant temp light. Not seeing or noticing any disconnected wires maybe I'm missing that still. Took off air intake and there's oil in there. Checked the cac with the dipstick and oil in there so about to try and suck it out. Going to go get a code reader to see why the cel is on as far as the smoke I'm pretty sure it's just oil as the level of coolant does not seem to be going down. The smoke does not smell sweet it smells like burning.... oil?
Just a thanks to everybody on the forum as I've been trolling it quiet a bit to do everything and a big fu to ford for the rear turbo lol

SHOdded

Yeah book time is 2 hrs for front, 6 hrs for rear turbo :)

Not much really to burping unless it is a stubborn air bubble.  Highly recommend jacking up the passenger side to create a high point at the degas bottle.  Up on a curb prob works too.  Get the heat on in max after engine is warmed up.  let sit that long with the engine running, then shut it off.  Let cool down to ambient.  Check coolant level.  Repeat as needed.

If the problem is stubborn, use of the Lisle SpillFree Funnel has proven invaluable.

Spyder3000gtvr4

Will try that tomorrow car is jacked the other way to get all the oil to the one side for the intercooler. I can't find the location of the temp sensor to see if I didn't reconnect the wire. Do you think that could be giving the high temp warning as soon as I start the car if that's not connected?

SHOdded

I am not 100% sure but the warning may be issued by the CHT sensor which is extrapolated to the ECT values.  Hopefully no pests have chewed up wiring but it doesn't seem so since it runs ok afterwards.  If you get it repeatedly, you might want to inspect the connectors for the sensor, for dirt/grime, frayed wires, loose pins, etc.

Spyder3000gtvr4

Do you happen to have a picture of where the sensor is? I can't find a location for it searching the web. I found a YouTube video for a 2013 Ford Edge 3.5 which I'm sure would be similar but the web searches are just filled with junk not relevant to any of my searches.

SHOdded

I will have to check.  I thought i posted it before on here but if not i will update.

SHOdded