• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

DIY ceramic paint coating

Started by 4sfed, September 06, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronco2fan

I did mine last month. She certainly looks 100 times better. Like said, it's all in the details. Took me and my son 6 hrs or so to clay it, paint correct (most important part and time consuming)swirls and light scratched disappear. Has to be done in certain order with different grades of polishes. Good DA is essential.  I think Q2 has the best prep spray, easy on, easy off, ceramic coating was the easiest part lol. photos to follow, they're on the phone lol.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

Bronco2fan

Photos as promised

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

ZSHO

It looks very NICE! Need to lower that Beaut! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Dang it, I KNOW I have seen a red 2013 SHO SOMEWHERE before.  Think, THink, THINK, Jimmy Neutron!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

4sfed

Quote from: Bronco2fan on September 10, 2018, 06:17:57 PM
I did mine last month. She certainly looks 100 times better. Like said, it's all in the details. Took me and my son 6 hrs or so to clay it, paint correct (most important part and time consuming)swirls and light scratched disappear. Has to be done in certain order with different grades of polishes. Good DA is essential.  I think Q2 has the best prep spray, easy on, easy off, ceramic coating was the easiest part lol. photos to follow, they're on the phone lol.

Okay...so what do you mean by "paint correction"?  Is that not the whole strip wash, clay bar, polish process?
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

Bronco2fan

Not necessarily. Newer rides may only need clay bar to remove surface contamination. Others have swirls and scratches over the whole body, and need to be taken care of. You can't use 1 step to remove them. Different grades of compounds needed to remove them and leave the paint and clearcoat smooth and blemish free.

Then prep for ceramic coating. Different products.

Bronco2fan

Like these. Use what you feel comfortable with.

4sfed

Quote from: Bronco2fan on September 11, 2018, 08:14:57 AM
Like these. Use what you feel comfortable with.

Okay, so how do you know when to use each of these different polishes?
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

Bronco2fan

Get a really good LED light, not florescent, shine it on your car at different angles. If you see massive swirls or scratches start with the lowest number and work your way up till they're gone or almost imperceptible.

Like sanding wood smooth, you work your way up.

The ceramic can actually fill in the small ones to a point.

This is why if you never used a DA or similar polishing tool, people opt to have it done for them. ( Not cheap)  Time consuming and more than 1 product is often needed.

Vortech347

I do a ton of detailing on my rides.  Adams is also my go to.  The one big thing about ceramic coating to remember is that it does in fact add an actual layer onto the paint.  So take your time, don't be in a rush.  Also one thing no one mentions is it's very common to end up with a spec of dust or dirt somewhere that gets into the coating.  Unless you're in a painters booth, it's gonna happen.  No big deal though, absolutely no one will notice or know it's there than you.

A product that's not Adams that I absolutely love for ceramic and non ceramic is called Clear Shine Nano Wash.  It's some sort of voodoo but for just a quick wipe spray it's sealing abilities are insane.  When I recently did a strip wash on my Cobra the NanoWash wasn't even phased on  it's sealing.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

4sfed

Quote from: Vortech347 on September 11, 2018, 10:25:29 AM
Also one thing no one mentions is it's very common to end up with a spec of dust or dirt somewhere that gets into the coating.

Excellent!  That was a question I was gonna ask; their video mentions it being tacky for at least a little while after applying.  My garage is not hermetically sealed....so how do I get something out without ruining the coating?
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

Izzybird

Anyone do the "bag test"? When the wife bought her SHO she decided she wasn't paying someone any longer to upkeep her cars, that job was now mine. I tried to remind her that I fix things, not clean...lol. So, I bought all the stuff, read tons on the detail forums, got advice from acquaintances, I can do this. Worked my rear off and the car was gleaming, surely I'm ready to start sealing it back up. Tried this "bag test" people talk about and it was a grit farm. Needless to say, I'll just pay to have it done from now on. That's why I like a beater truck, it gets washed when it rains!
Wife's '15 SHO non PP

SHOdded

Done it for the clay barring stage.  So easy to feel the before/after difference!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Vortech347

Quote from: 4sfed on September 11, 2018, 10:34:04 AM
Quote from: Vortech347 on September 11, 2018, 10:25:29 AM
Also one thing no one mentions is it's very common to end up with a spec of dust or dirt somewhere that gets into the coating.

Excellent!  That was a question I was gonna ask; their video mentions it being tacky for at least a little while after applying.  My garage is not hermetically sealed....so how do I get something out without ruining the coating?

Just be mindful of it.  While you're doing it and it's curing don't go do yard work and keep the garage door closed.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0