• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

DIY ceramic paint coating

Started by 4sfed, September 06, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4sfed

I've pretty much decided that my next "mod" will be ceramic coating the paint.  I decided to go with Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating 9H hardness kit.

I've searched and I don't really see any information on people doing this.  Can anyone offer some pointers or tips/tricks?  I have to admit I'm more nervous about THIS, than I was applying AJP's tune. :)
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SHOdded

Seems fairly simple if it is the same product as shown in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeUTBeOSPYU

I have heard that Adams has pretty good customer service, so you should be able to lean on them if necessary.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

4sfed

Quote from: SHOdded on September 06, 2018, 04:23:04 PM
Seems fairly simple if it is the same product as shown in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeUTBeOSPYU

I have heard that Adams has pretty good customer service, so you should be able to lean on them if necessary.

Agreed....it seems simple.  I priced it here locally, and it's upwards of $1500 - $2000!  Apparently these places do a lot of prep work.  Not being too much in to bodywork....I'm hesitant cautious.
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

nickstewartroc

Having done my Flex in the past couple of weeks, all the work is in the prep. It took me two days of compound + polishing to get the paint the way I wanted it. It took me a couple of hours to do 2 layers of coating, mainly from the time between coats. Each coat took about 45 minutes or so, with 3 hours in between for the ceramic coating I used, Carpro Cquartz
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: 4sfed on September 06, 2018, 01:17:40 PM
I've pretty much decided that my next "mod" will be ceramic coating the paint.  I decided to go with Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating 9H hardness kit.

I've searched and I don't really see any information on people doing this.  Can anyone offer some pointers or tips/tricks?  I have to admit I'm more nervous about THIS, than I was applying AJP's tune. :)

Glad this question was asked actually. Couple reasons i've been less active on the forum this summer . . .
1) Returned the car to stock back in April and am just about to take it into the dealership to have them troubleshoot my oil ingestion issue.
2) I started a side business detailing cars on my "days off" from my normal job.

Just so happens the Adam's Polishes warehouse is 20 minutes from my house and i use their products almost exclusively so i'm extremely familiar with the product line and process'.
Adam's ceramic coating is one of the easier retail products to apply by design as it's considered a "enthusiast grade" coating vs "professional grade" coating which are more difficult to apply but have much better durability and better anti static capabilities(less dust accumulation).

The real question to ask yourself is are you going to do the prep work yourself? there's A LOT that goes into getting ready for any coating and i fear many people underestimate the effect that has on the end result. The ultimate goal is to get your paint as perfect as possible before you "seal it all in" with the coating. So the paint needs to be CLEAN and then swirl marks/surface scratches removed with a machine compound and polish.
The full process is as follows:
Strip wash, iron decontamination, claybar, compound+polish, paint prep wipe down, then apply coating.
If any of this sounds over your head  or you've never touched a polisher to paint i'd recommend paying someone to do the prep process and paint correction for you and then do the coating yourself.

It's a big job but totally worth it and makes your car SOOO much easier to maintain.
Any other questions please feel free to ask. Adams also has a forum that's a great resource.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

4sfed

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on September 06, 2018, 11:44:02 PM
The real question to ask yourself is are you going to do the prep work yourself? there's A LOT that goes into getting ready for any coating and i fear many people underestimate the effect that has on the end result. The ultimate goal is to get your paint as perfect as possible before you "seal it all in" with the coating. So the paint needs to be CLEAN and then swirl marks/surface scratches removed with a machine compound and polish.
The full process is as follows:
Strip wash, iron decontamination, claybar, compound+polish, paint prep wipe down, then apply coating.
If any of this sounds over your head  or you've never touched a polisher to paint i'd recommend paying someone to do the prep process and paint correction for you and then do the coating yourself.

Excellent!  Thank you!  That's what I was afraid of...and it looks like their kit doesn't include all the stuff to do all of that prep properly.

So....what products do you recommend for all the prep work you mentioned above.  I assume Adam's, but what of their products covers the necessary prep work?  AND, any tools you recommend?

Thank you again for the advice.
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on September 07, 2018, 12:59:51 AM
Welcome back to "life", sir!
Haha thanks! Hopefully my issues are remedied soon and i'll be more active here again.

QuoteExcellent!  Thank you!  That's what I was afraid of...and it looks like their kit doesn't include all the stuff to do all of that prep properly.

So....what products do you recommend for all the prep work you mentioned above.  I assume Adam's, but what of their products covers the necessary prep work?  AND, any tools you recommend?

I'll try and provide links to everythings i would use. I love adams stuff but i have found more affordable substitutions for certain things.
"Strip wash" is basically a non ph neutral car shampoo that is stronger than the ph neutral wash that most detailing companies offer. It has the ability to remove previously applied waxes/sealants etc. This is what you want to use before doing a complete detail. adams has theirs but i use this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purple-Power-Heavy-Duty-Vehicle-and-Boat-Pressure-Wash-Concentrate/50941516
Of course after any application of wax/sealant/ceramic you want to use a ph neutral soap.
Then iron decontamination- watch the video for instructions but it's easy to use
https://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-iron-remover-16oz.html
clay bar- Really any clay bar will do. You can buy many at auto parts stores then you just need detail spray for lubrication. I just use the large bottle of meguiars detail spray. No need to use top dollar detail spray for clay lube. I do however also like Adams clay mitt- pricey but it makes the process go a little quicker.

Now on to polishing the car . . . There's a whole world's worth of info/opinions/ equipment options out there. You could research it for months and never have a clear answer. I'll leave you with this video as i think it boils it down for a beginner. Harbor freight DA machine, griots complete compound(not what i use but it will do well).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CUC6zurChM
Then for maintenance use Adams Ceramic Boost every 3rd wash to prolong the longevity of the coating.

Welcome to the big world of detailing! haha. I'm sure you'll have more questions throughout the process. Don't hesitate to ask
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

4sfed

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on September 07, 2018, 09:46:49 AM
Of course after any application of wax/sealant/ceramic you want to use a ph neutral soap.

Pfff...of COURSE!

"Strip wash" is basically a non ph neutral car shampoo that is stronger than the ph neutral wash that most detailing companies offer. It has the ability to remove previously applied waxes/sealants etc. This is what you want to use before doing a complete detail. adams has theirs but i use this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purple-Power-Heavy-Duty-Vehicle-and-Boat-Pressure-Wash-Concentrate/50941516
Then iron decontamination- watch the video for instructions but it's easy to use
clay bar- Really any clay bar will do. You can buy many at auto parts stores then you just need detail spray for lubrication. I just use the large bottle of meguiars detail spray. No need to use top dollar detail spray for clay lube. I do however also like Adams clay mitt- pricey but it makes the process go a little quicker.

Now on to polishing the car . . . There's a whole world's worth of info/opinions/ equipment options out there. You could research it for months and never have a clear answer. I'll leave you with this video as i think it boils it down for a beginner. Harbor freight DA machine, griots complete compound(not what i use but it will do well).
Then for maintenance use Adams Ceramic Boost every 3rd wash to prolong the longevity of the coating.

Welcome to the big world of detailing! haha. I'm sure you'll have more questions throughout the process. Don't hesitate to ask

Seriously...excellent information!  THANK YOU!

...I may actually want to change the springs again, than do this. :D  However I AM looking forward to how this turns out, so I'm expecting it to be worth the trouble.

Just in case...do you ever find your way through St. Louis, MO?  :)  ;)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

Izzybird

If you get a Harbor China polisher, swap the grease in the head out to a high end grease. It'll reduce the noise and vibration some.
Wife's '15 SHO non PP

Macgyver

Quote from: Izzybird on September 07, 2018, 01:43:24 PM
If you get a Harbor China polisher, swap the grease in the head out to a high end grease. It'll reduce the noise and vibration some.

Thats good to know. I got a HFreight cheap plug in drill the other day as my old tried and true plug in burned up due to me. Man that Friggin HFreight drill is LOUD.

I hope this stuff goes on as easy as it looks as long as you prep prep prep.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: 4sfed on September 07, 2018, 10:12:37 AM

Pfff...of COURSE!

Seriously...excellent information!  THANK YOU!

...I may actually want to change the springs again, than do this. :D  However I AM looking forward to how this turns out, so I'm expecting it to be worth the trouble.

Just in case...do you ever find your way through St. Louis, MO?  :)  ;)
funny you should mention that my wife is from columbia MO and a trip to lake of the ozarks is in the works for next summer! haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Jordan

Funny I stumbled across this post in the most recent, but I live in Columbia, Mo!
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SHOdded

markssho

I've kept a ceramic coating on mine since new. Have it refreshed or reapplied every three years or so. Then just keep a coat of wax on it yearly. I've been very satisfied.... And it looks pretty good as those have seen at the Ford Nationals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC