• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning and the 2.7 More Corn!

Started by Scott4957, September 05, 2018, 03:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott4957

Hello all,

I know there are a lot of log junkies out there and not a ton of info on the 2.7, especially in vehicles other than the F-150. I have been tuning my Fusion sport with Torrie for about 6 weeks now. We started with a 93 tune and even the first base file he provided was knocking quite a bit so I scrapped that and went right for the corn. We worked though the revisions and when we started hitting the wall we added more and more Ethanol. We are currently running about 47% "assuming E85 is really at 85%". Nothing too surprising so far, as expected, the more Ethanol we added the less knock we had to the point of the car adding more timing. IAT's are high on this car so we are fighting that, it sure could benefit from a larger intercooler or meth.

Can it keep up with the MKS on E? It looks on par or faster than the MKS running E20. I never took the MKS to the track but it was a beast, comparing times between various MPH in the logs and the Fusion should win that race.

Can it keep up with the MKS on 100% methanol injection. Not yet. Per the logs we are closing in on it but that is going to be a tall order. My cleanest fastest log with the MKS on Meth was 80 degrees ambient, 2200 DA and it was adding timing. This may push me back to Meth on the Fusion.

In general the MKS felt faster which i believe was a combination of the torque and the hard hitting of the transmission. The Fusion soft shifts the 1-2 for some reason and I don't think the 2.7 will make the same torque as the 3.5 with the way its currently setup. Both cars were stock other than a drop in dry flow, fluids and a tune. The Fusion is a bit lighter and corners way better so for that it can hold its own against the MKS. The MKS was a beast on Meth spinning off the line and barking the tires in second and third. I have not done many launches in the Fusion but it does not spin the tires on the shifts, to be fair the MKS did not with just an E tune. All in all I love both cars, I still have the MKS but it has been relieved of its sleeper duties and is now the wife's daily driver.

Below is a link to a dropbox folder where I keep all my logs as we move though the revisions. I run them in pairs, so each two are runs from a revision. As we moved up to E40 than E50 we stayed on the same revision to see how it changed the logs. I'm about to load the 7th revision and first to make any changes to the car since we moved though E40 and E50 mixes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q3ujxk5j411eqde/AABgyuF9cPB0shust-tW2CiOa?dl=0

Let me know if you have any questions or any comments on the logs. Still pretty novice at reading them but I love to look at the parts I understand and hear peoples opinions on whats going on.

Scott
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

SHOdded

Definitely will benefit from the upgraded intercooler that's available now.  Whether or not you choose to have AJP tune the Sport as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Scott4957

Quote from: SHOdded on September 05, 2018, 05:39:42 PM
Definitely will benefit from the upgraded intercooler that's available now.  Whether or not you choose to have AJP tune the Sport as well.
AJP might just have something up his sleeve ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Most certainly will :D  The transmission will be the challenge I think, if the Continental was any indication. 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Scott4957

Quote from: SHOdded on September 05, 2018, 06:58:01 PM
Most certainly will :D  The transmission will be the challenge I think, if the Continental was any indication.
Tell me more, I've found very little data on the subject. I was under the impression the transmission and PTU was the same as the SHO/MKS.

SHOdded

Well not much data is available other than the gearing is different than for the SHO/MKS.  And the PTU is still very fond of fluid changes. I think the programming is getting harder to crack with each successive generation.

Scott4957

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was the gearing or the different wheel size between the two cars but I noticed it and now I know. I would agree with the transmission tuning getting harder to crack. Torrie has yet to get my shift points down in the first couple gears and it soft shifts the 1-2. He says some do that, some don't. I haven't logged a 2k launch yet, curious as to what the car will do to save its butt.
Quote from: SHOdded on September 05, 2018, 08:39:30 PM
Well not much data is available other than the gearing is different than for the SHO/MKS.  And the PTU is still very fond of fluid changes. I think the programming is getting harder to crack with each successive generation.

SHOdded

The Edge Sport is doing good so far with tuning, i will ask what might be possible woth the fusion.