• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Megan vs HR's

Started by StealBlueSho, September 05, 2018, 10:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

A few people have asked me for my input since I have now run the Megans and HR's.

Initial thoughts are that I really like the HR's way better than the Megans. The HR's handle well right out of the box without needing to tinker/adjust the dampeners, preload, ride height that is required with the Megans. I was NOT impressed with the built quality of the Megans AT ALL and there was a lot of slop on the dampener adjustments that always left me wondering...

I took the SHO out for a nice long ride last night and so far the HR's ride very close to stock feel with a slight bit more feel for the road and way less body roll..and I haven't yet experienced any pogo'ing that some people experience, but the roads around my place are really good.

Couple disclosures..

1: The Megans I purchased were LATEST model which is very different than the first run they produced.
2: My current SHO is a PP vs the NON-PP 2010 I previously owned.
3: The suspension still needs to settle, hence why I said INITIAL.
4: When I installed my Megans I never had them professionally adjusted or corner balanced. I am sure there was room for improvement.
5: Mike at EPP said he no longer sells the Megan coilovers due to quality issues.

For the cost difference thus far, HR seems a better bang for the buck IMHO.

And the shop that installed them said they needed to use the longer camber bolts to bring it back into spec. I DID NOT need those on my 2010 as the Megans were able to be brought into alignment without them.

shoNoff

Nice write up sbs. I'm so close to doing it, but our roads are miserable in NH during winter months. How many miles on your car? I'm thinking of doing new struts and shocks when I do mine as well. I just hit 50k over the weekend
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

StealBlueSho

Quote from: shoNoff on September 05, 2018, 11:10:04 AM
Nice write up sbs. I'm so close to doing it, but our roads are miserable in NH during winter months. How many miles on your car? I'm thinking of doing new struts and shocks when I do mine as well. I just hit 50k over the weekend

My current SHO has 11130.3 miles.

Ford has NO recommended replacement mileage for the shocks/struts (I called two different dealerships when I did the Megan's on my 2010) but I know other recommended 50K as the replacement interval but if they are not leaking then they SHOULD be ok.

Personally I would go ahead and swap the shocks/struts at the mileage if I am putting lowering springs on as those do shorten the life of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoNoff

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 05, 2018, 11:21:53 AM

Ford has NO recommended replacement mileage for the shocks/struts (I called two different dealerships when I did the Megan's on my 2010) but I know other recommended 50K as the replacement interval but if they are not leaking then they SHOULD be ok.

Personally I would go ahead and swap the shocks/struts at the mileage if I am putting lowering springs on as those do shorten the life of them.

Exactly what I'm thinking. They ride great now and aren't leaking. But really with 50k and lowering springs the life will be short. Plus the shocks and struts are not very expensive and no point in basically doing a job twice. Do you know what camber bolts they used?

StealBlueSho

Quote from: shoNoff on September 05, 2018, 12:21:14 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 05, 2018, 11:21:53 AM

Exactly what I'm thinking. They ride great now and aren't leaking. But really with 50k and lowering springs the life will be short. Plus the shocks and struts are not very expensive and no point in basically doing a job twice. Do you know what camber bolts they used?

lamrith

Good to hear SBS!  Crossing fingers it works for you.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on September 05, 2018, 01:37:41 PM

Thanks! Hoping with better air and the springs I can hit 12.5 consistently with LMS.

shoNoff

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 05, 2018, 01:48:08 PM

Thanks! Hoping with better air and the springs I can hit 12.5 consistently with LMS.

Im thinking the springs will help launch. Ive watch many videos of my car leaving. Once the weight rocks off the fronts its spin city. Im thinking the stiffer springs will keep more weight over the front tires.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: shoNoff on September 05, 2018, 02:24:14 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 05, 2018, 01:48:08 PM

Im thinking the springs will help launch. Ive watch many videos of my car leaving. Once the weight rocks off the fronts its spin city. Im thinking the stiffer springs will keep more weight over the front tires.

This would be correct. It is well documented that spring alone are worth a tenth or more in the 1/4..