• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Overheating story

Started by 02nbmformula, September 05, 2018, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02nbmformula

This issue has been resolved but i wanted to post it for the benefit of other members because it threw me for a loop.  2014 Explorer sport started to overheat in traffic, roughly 75k miles. Mods where a intake, tune and thermostat.  Got the car home, fans where working, coolant was a little down from expansion tank.  Let it cool off overnight, next day let it idle, fans kicked on, no codes, upper radiator hose got to a similar temp as lower hose, coolant dropped from normal level in the expansion tank so i thought it wasnt a thermostat, oil checked out as well. 

I had to leave the following day for vacation so i dropped it off at the dealer, they called later, said it was fans.  Picked it up a week later with new fans but that didnt fix it and it was still overheating, so i took it back.  They called again and said it was the thermostat and that it was bent and barely opening.  Hopefully this helps someone else troubleshoot there overheating issues. 
2014 Explorer Sport

SHOdded

interesting that the coolant level dropped.  since it is supposed to be pretty much a closed system, wonder where it went.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

How does a thermostat get bent?   If it was bent from the time it was installed, the car would have overheated from the get-go.   

I smell a rat...or maybe just a mouse....with that diagnosis.

02nbmformula

my thoughts exactly.  oil looked fine so idk.
2014 Explorer Sport

Macgyver

Weak housing structure per say. Time and heat cycles. The spring (material my company makes) flexes and warps the structure enough to cause it to bind up and not move. Thats the only thing I can think of.

I have seen bins of these come back in for remelting. So if they failed at the Mfgr. What caused them to?

The worst is seeing the guns come in from NYC Police. 4 to 5 Rolloffs Filled a couple times a year. Sad.

Gray Brick

Did you get the old thermostat from the dealer?
Post pics please.

Is the overheating fixed?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---