• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 SHO

Started by TomBuckman, September 01, 2018, 11:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBuckman

Hey Everyone!

About a week ago I picked up a new-to-me 2014 SHO. I bought the car to serve as a fun and "economical" daily driver since I just bought a Vortech kit for my 2014 Mustang GT. I bought the car a week ago from an independent dealer who had just bought the car from an auction not a week or two prior. Over the last week I have been finding little goodies that the previous owner left me, and that I'm 100% sure the dealer had no idea was on the car.

The unfortunate part is that I live in an area that requires emissions testing, so at this point I'm forced to figure out how to get the car back into emissions standing. I'll likely be ordering a set of PPE catted downpipes and an Unleashed Tuning tune in order to pass. If anyone has any other recommendations, let me know!

So far I have found:

• SYNC 3.0 Upgrade
  • H&R Lowering Springs
  • Atmospheric vented bypass valves
  • MSD Ignition Coils
  • 2010-2011 "T" Style Shifter Swap
  • Livernois Catless Downpipes
  • Livernois Catback Exhaust w/ black tips
  • Livernois Tune (assumed since no tuner came w/ car & I don't have a CEL w/ no cats)
  • OEM Ford 3-Bar MAP (on top of intake)
  • Possible owner-installed traction control "hard off" switch
2014 Mustang GT - Oxford White
2014 Taurus SHO - Ruby Red Metallic

StealBlueSho

I don't think there is a way to do a hard off switch....

Have you checked for methanol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomBuckman

I have not. Where would the tank be mounted?

I cant figure out what the switch is for. Its definitely an aftermarket switch mounted to the right of the power sunshade. When i flip it, i get warnings on the instrument panel that the stability control , abs, and parking break need serviced.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: TomBuckman on September 01, 2018, 12:10:31 PM

I cant figure out what the switch is for. Its definitely an aftermarket switch mounted to the right of the power sunshade. When i flip it, i get warnings on the instrument panel that the stability control , abs, and parking break need serviced.

Yup... sounds like they wired in an off switch to the ABS fuse which does disable traction control... it's a pretty decent idea...

The methanol tank could be in the the trunk, or they are using the washer fluid tank...

Check near the throttle body intake piping for a fuel line mounted...

TomBuckman

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 01, 2018, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: TomBuckman on September 01, 2018, 12:10:31 PM

Yup... sounds like they wired in an off switch to the ABS fuse which does disable traction control... it's a pretty decent idea...

The methanol tank could be in the the trunk, or they are using the washer fluid tank...

Check near the throttle body intake piping for a fuel line mounted...

Man, youre good. One of the first things I noticed when looking at the car was aftermarket wiring going to the fuse box. I did not look to see what that particular fuse location controlled.

StealBlueSho

Also, if it's been modified that much here are a couple things you should do..

-check the spark plugs, replace if needed... most likely SP-534 and should be gapped at .030 per LMS suggestion. Although maybe SP-542 gapped at .028 (these are becoming more popular)

-drain and fill the PTU

-drain and fill the Trans

-drain and fill rear diff

-oil change or check to see if the dealer did it

-Get the alignment checked to verify the car was properly re-aligned after the spring settled

-check turbos for leaking

-check PTU for leaking

Basic stuff..

How many miles on the car?

mjhpadi

I also believe that the 3 bar sensor was stock on the 14 cars.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

StealBlueSho

Quote from: mjhpadi on September 01, 2018, 01:12:21 PM

Huh, first I have heard that. My 2016 came with the 2bar at the manifold.

mjhpadi

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 01, 2018, 01:27:21 PM
Quote from: mjhpadi on September 01, 2018, 01:12:21 PM

Huh, first I have heard that. My 2016 came with the 2bar at the manifold.

I may be mistaken, but I was almost sure that when I changed to the 3 bar was because the tune required it because the new cars came with a 3 bar.  But again, I may be wrong....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

SHOdded

still 2bar on top of the manifold, 3 bar prior to the throttle body.  Part numbers have been updated though.
=====
Tom, welcome to EBPF!  Does your state have visual inspection for testing, or do the scan the OBD port, or get tailpipe readings, or a combination? CEL would likely be set unless turned off in a tune, OR the car is still relearning the inspections readiness monitors.  I would scan the OBD port for set and pending codes first. 

Definitely a tune running if the 3bar is on top of the manifold.  BTW, no one afaik is running an aftermarket 3bar MAP on the transverse engines (SHO MKS Flex Explorer).

I would not use the "kill switch" for the ABS unless I was really experienced with the car and willing to pay for what might break as a result.  Meaning, possibly the only place to use it would be at the track.  One thing to have safeties off at the strip, another in daily driving.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TomBuckman

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 01, 2018, 12:17:56 PM
Also, if it's been modified that much here are a couple things you should do..

-check the spark plugs, replace if needed... most likely SP-534 and should be gapped at .030 per LMS suggestion. Although maybe SP-542 gapped at .028 (these are becoming more popular)

-drain and fill the PTU

-drain and fill the Trans

-drain and fill rear diff

-oil change or check to see if the dealer did it

-Get the alignment checked to verify the car was properly re-aligned after the spring settled

-check turbos for leaking

-check PTU for leaking

Basic stuff..

How many miles on the car?

The car has 68k on it. I got a pretty good deal, all things considered. I figured the plugs were changed since all of the mods are so tasteful, and the fact that I found a set of MSD's on it. I will pull them and check. Of course, only after I bought the car did I learn about the PTU fun. I called a few shops, all were clueless except for the one Ford dealer I called. They, like all the others, stated the PTU was not serviceable and that "Ford never specified a fluid for it because it's a lifetime fill".

I plan on drilling/tapping the PTU at some point. I may borrow a Mityvac from a friend in the mean time to take care of the PTU and the RDU as soon as I can. I do plan on doing an oil change this weekend as I checked the oil and I'm sure the dealer did not change it. I do need to check the alignment because it does seem that the car pulls ever so slightly to the right. The right front also creaks when steering, which I hear could be caused by the aftermarket springs.

TomBuckman

Quote from: SHOdded on September 01, 2018, 01:56:07 PM
still 2bar on top of the manifold, 3 bar prior to the throttle body.  Part numbers have been updated though.
=====
Tom, welcome to EBPF!  Does your state have visual inspection for testing, or do the scan the OBD port, or get tailpipe readings, or a combination? CEL would likely be set unless turned off in a tune, OR the car is still relearning the inspections readiness monitors.  I would scan the OBD port for set and pending codes first. 

Definitely a tune running if the 3bar is on top of the manifold.  BTW, no one afaik is running an aftermarket 3bar MAP on the transverse engines (SHO MKS Flex Explorer).

I would not use the "kill switch" for the ABS unless I was really experienced with the car and willing to pay for what might break as a result.  Meaning, possibly the only place to use it would be at the track.  One thing to have safeties off at the strip, another in daily driving.

It's good to be here! My state does a combination of visual/OBD port/ tailpipe readings. Luckily since it's AWD they'll likely only sniff it at idle, since their dyno's are all 2wd. I just ordered a decent scanner from Amazon that has an IM readiness scanner on it, so I plan to take a look at that. I do have a Rev-X tuner from my Mustang that I used to check standard DTC's and there were no codes. I spoke with I believe a guy named Jay at Livernois' parts department, and he stated that their tunes do not turn the O2's off in any way, but they do affect their readiness monitoring. I don't know that the car has a Livernois tune, I'm just making an educated guess since it's got their downpipes and exhaust.

As far as the 3-bar comment you made about no transverse engines running it aftermarket, could you explain that? The part number I pulled off of the sensor is:

AA5A-9F479-AB
G1UHF Germany
5WK9 6848

And I do not plan on using the kill switch. The car was originally bought to be a fun DD, and I'd like to not break it!

SHOdded

I don't even know if there are aftermarket 3bar MAPs available for these engines.  Since Ford makes a 3bar MAP already, no one has needed to go the aftermarket route.

The part number you posted is for Ford's 3bar MAP sensor, also known as Motorcraft CX2231.  The sensor itself has now been updated to an -AC revision from -AB, and is available as Motorcraft CX2594, should you need to replace it.

Having a 3bar MAP installed on the intake manifold needs a tune to read it correctly, but yeah, it could be anyone's tune.  You can always run the VIN by Livernois and see if it might be one of theirs.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TomBuckman

Quote from: SHOdded on September 01, 2018, 03:39:06 PM
I don't even know if there are aftermarket 3bar MAPs available for these engines.  Since Ford makes a 3bar MAP already, no one has needed to go the aftermarket route.

The part number you posted is for Ford's 3bar MAP sensor, also known as Motorcraft CX2231.  The sensor itself has now been updated to an -AC revision from -AB, and is available as Motorcraft CX2594, should you need to replace it.

Having a 3bar MAP installed on the intake manifold needs a tune to read it correctly, but yeah, it could be anyone's tune.  You can always run the VIN by Livernois and see if it might be one of theirs.

Oh I understand what you're saying now, no one has used an aftermarket manufacturers 3-bar because Ford makes one!

I did ask Livernois the question about the VIN, and they stated they couldn't release that information unless I was in contact with the previous owner and they OK'd the release of the info, so that's a dead end. Either way, I'm likely either going to have to throw a stock tune into it or an Unleashed tune. I've emailed Torrie today and he said he'd be able to provide a stock tune since the car did not come with any kind of tuner containing the original tune. So it seems I need to buy a standard 2-bar map now if my plan is to swap to stock for emissions.

SHOdded

It is always best to return to stock (tune) for emissions testing.  Yes, you would need a 2bar MAP for that.  And you would need to allow time for the monitors to reset.

That said, the assumption is that the rear O2s are not turned off currently.  I suppose that is easily verified using an OBD adapter and Torque Pro software.