• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

rhythmic vibration at 67mph+

Started by StealBlueSho, August 29, 2018, 03:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on August 30, 2018, 10:41:02 AM
Is the noise consistent or intermittent,depending on weather! FWIW might want to research a Lincoln Dealer in the vicinity!!! some food for thought! Z

No, they said they tried to duplicate the noise after I brought it in while everything was still at operational temps and then again this morning after letting it sit... I might need to look for lincoln dealer... the closest one I know is 30+ miles away...

Quote from: Gray Brick on August 30, 2018, 11:43:42 AM
Do your wheels have need/have concentric spacers? If they are aftermarket they might need them.

Nah, stock flowers or as I like to call them "Ninja Stars of Death"

lamrith

Betting it is a bearing a well.

Only thing I can thing to narrow it down more is to rotate tires around and make sure the issue does not move to another location.

Then call the lincoln dealer, let them know issue, and setup a day/time to go and that you want to take the service writer and/or mechanic out for a drive to show them the issue before you leave the car with them..?
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on August 30, 2018, 12:26:54 PM
Betting it is a bearing a well.

Only thing I can thing to narrow it down more is to rotate tires around and make sure the issue does not move to another location.

Then call the lincoln dealer, let them know issue, and setup a day/time to go and that you want to take the service writer and/or mechanic out for a drive to show them the issue before you leave the car with them..?

Already rotated the tires and had the wheels rebalanced.... the vibration did not move.. same place... front drivers... good idea though!

Yea, that's my next step but I need to find the time. Luckily the SHO is not my DD so it's not pressing... just annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4sfed

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 30, 2018, 09:33:23 PM
Already rotated the tires and had the wheels rebalanced.... the vibration did not move.. same place... front drivers... good idea though!

Oh!  I withdraw my wager...  :)

2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 4sfed on August 30, 2018, 11:21:34 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 30, 2018, 09:33:23 PM

Oh!  I withdraw my wager...  :)

Too late!! (Although not sure what the wager was!? A ???)

StealBlueSho

Soooo interesting... I had the HR springs installed today and took it for a bit of a test drive to make sure it tracked straight etc... The rythmic vibration is gone... I am confused? They did obviously re-align the car afterwards HOWEVER, it had just HAD an alignment so I am not sure what the deal is... but.. its gone... who knows.

SHOdded

sure, sure.  You won't admit to having removed the trunk monkey, will ya?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

ToMang07

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 04, 2018, 03:25:33 PM
Soooo interesting... I had the HR springs installed today and took it for a bit of a test drive to make sure it tracked straight etc... The rythmic vibration is gone... I am confused? They did obviously re-align the car afterwards HOWEVER, it had just HAD an alignment so I am not sure what the deal is... but.. its gone... who knows.
Good news!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

jman

I suspect your issue is on the CV axle. Now that your car is lowered, the axle is now working on a different angle. It is possible that there is a minor imperfection in the CV joint.
I battled Nissan for 18 months with my Pathfinder for a similar vibration that only occurred at 110 km/hr (68 miles/hr). After multiple visits, they replaced the drive shaft which finally fixed the problem.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

StealBlueSho

Quote from: jman on September 05, 2018, 04:22:48 PM
I suspect your issue is on the CV axle. Now that your car is lowered, the axle is now working on a different angle. It is possible that there is a minor imperfection in the CV joint.
I battled Nissan for 18 months with my Pathfinder for a similar vibration that only occurred at 110 km/hr (68 miles/hr). After multiple visits, they replaced the drive shaft which finally fixed the problem.

Good thought! They claimed to have checked them the first time I took it in.. but at this point I don't trust that dealer.

shoNoff

Have you ever tried slipping the car into neutral when the vibration is happening? That way you would be able to tell if it's engine related or speed related. If the vibration continues usually it's speed related meaning driveshaft, axle, wheel etc. if it subsides usually it's engine related meaning possible motor mount. Now this isn't always true but I've seen it true more often then not.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

StealBlueSho

Quote from: shoNoff on September 05, 2018, 09:48:30 PM
Have you ever tried slipping the car into neutral when the vibration is happening? That way you would be able to tell if it's engine related or speed related. If the vibration continues usually it's speed related meaning driveshaft, axle, wheel etc. if it subsides usually it's engine related meaning possible motor mount. Now this isn't always true but I've seen it true more often then not.

Yup! I did this when I first noticed it. No change...

shoNoff

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 05, 2018, 09:49:43 PM
Quote from: shoNoff on September 05, 2018, 09:48:30 PM

Yup! I did this when I first noticed it. No change...

I have a similar one in my car I've always suspected was the tires. I've had the dealer balance them twice under cpo. Mine is around 73ish though. I'm still chasing it. 
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

ticoscen

carrier bearing on the propeller shaft is dry and causing vibration on the shaft.
2010 PP , coil overs, upgraded larger brake system, Hawk Pads, Michellin Sport 4S 275 40 20, CAI, Livernois Stage 4+, MSDs, Brisk Silver Plugs, Amsoil 100% Syn throughout, Apple CarPlay, Reverse Cam, 70mm TB, Boomba BOVs, Muffler delete, Side Skirts, Splitter, Upgraded TC, New PTU, Rebuilt Trans, DORMAN Prop Shaft,
new motor mounts 4 places (TC lowers..). SHO II: 2011 NON PP, CAI, Stage 4+ LMS, Apple Car Play, Larger Brake  System, Hawk Pads, Brisk Silver Plugs, MSDs, 70mm BKK TB, Skirts, Splitter, Amsoil 100%