• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

rhythmic vibration at 67mph+

Started by StealBlueSho, August 29, 2018, 03:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Car is back at the dealership... I am getting this rhythmic vibration from the front driverside of the car at higher speeds... this is the second stint at the dealership for this... first time they just did a road force balance of the tires and sent me on my way... that did not resolve the issue... it also sometimes makes a grinding noise when making a U-turn going left..

Not sure if its a wheel bearing issue as it presents like that as the vibration gets louder when you load up the left side..

oh.. and they quoted me $900 to install my new HR lowering springs...

lamrith

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 29, 2018, 03:14:10 PM
Car is back at the dealership... I am getting this rhythmic vibration from the front driverside of the car at higher speeds... this is the second stint at the dealership for this... first time they just did a road force balance of the tires and sent me on my way... that did not resolve the issue... it also sometimes makes a grinding noise when making a U-turn going left..

Not sure if its a wheel bearing issue as it presents like that as the vibration gets louder when you load up the left side..

OUCH, seems a bit high for springs, but again, this is dealer labor $/hr..
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on August 29, 2018, 03:29:05 PM

Yea... the service advisor was a bit shocked.. he pulled the labor times from the Ford recommended times.. and even tried pulling the Alldata hours... which he said they can quote as well... 1.8hrs for the rear and 4.0hours for the front... plus an extra hour (just to be safe he said) to get the rear camber back in alignment... then an alignment...

My local speed shop quoted me $250..

geophb

Sounds like wheel bearing to me. Jack it up and see if you can move the wheel.

2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

lamrith

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 29, 2018, 03:32:22 PM
Quote from: lamrith on August 29, 2018, 03:29:05 PM

Yea... the service advisor was a bit shocked.. he pulled the labor times from the Ford recommended times.. and even tried pulling the Alldata hours... which he said they can quote as well... 1.8hrs for the rear and 4.0hours for the front... plus an extra hour (just to be safe he said) to get the rear camber back in alignment... then an alignment...

My local speed shop quoted me $250..
4hrs for the front seems kind of slow.  Now that I have done it, it is actually pretty darn quick to do, 2-3hrs would be my estimated realistic timeframe.  Especially with a trained mechanic in a shop with all the right tools and air tools.  Including alignment that $900 is not quite as bad though, but still high.  The $250 at speed shop though seems too far to the low side, I am guessing that does not include alignment?

Do you have a Firestone in the area?  Not sure what they charge for a swap like that, but the reason I bring it up is that they have  lifetime alignment package.  Usually $200, but sometimes it goes on sale for $150.  I opted for that when I did my springs and glad I did as now that I pulled them and returned to stock I need alignment done again.  Comes in handy if you forsee changing suspension down the road.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

I might just pull the front myself, take them to a shop to have the springs switched...I can do the rest of it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZSHO

It sounds like your Hubs aka (wheel bearings) IMO!I
I recently had mine changed and found more than 1/4 of play coming from the left driver's side. 

I find it strange that its always the left (driver's side) thats mostly affected! Dunno!

Here's my most recent post below.
There is also an updated TSB IIRC!
Z
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,299.5085.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

would have the wheel checked over by a pro for crack/out of round/overtightened lugs etc. if other suggestions do not help.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

4sfed

I'll see your wheel bearing and raise you "a bad tire".  I'm thinking a bad spot on the sidewall. At speed I think it heats up and bulges out.

2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

StealBlueSho

Ok... well this f*cking dealer was supposed to call me before they closed to let me know what was going on... no phone call....

I'm calling first thing in the morning....or going over there... if they haven't figured it out I'm taking the car.... this is the second time I have had warranty work done there... the first time took over a week for them to replace a motor mount, road force balance the tires, drive my car for 60 miles, and scratch my car....

Unfortunately they are the only dealership within 45 minutes of my house... hoping for a better line of communication this time.... apparently I am asking too much...

SHOdded

Need to stop living in a nuclear bunker, buddy!  I do feel your pain, though.  I have unlimited choices within 5 miles of me LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Just got a call back... no noises.. everything checks out on the lift... they cannot find the problem... another waste of time... this is the LAST time I am taking my car to this dealership... I am done.

SHOdded

Then they will be toasting success!  Prob dont want customers who are tuned into their cars.

ZSHO

Is the noise consistent or intermittent,depending on weather! FWIW might want to research a Lincoln Dealer in the vicinity!!! some food for thought! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Gray Brick

Do your wheels have need/have concentric spacers? If they are aftermarket they might need them.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---