• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

WGA Question

Started by 4sfed, August 28, 2018, 11:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4sfed

Hey everyone. :)

My apologies if is answered somewhere, but a search didn't reveal it to me.

Can someone clarify/confirm how the WGA works?  I'm assuming that vacuum holds the WGA open and when vacuum drops low enough it allows the turbo to build boost that is routed to the engine.  If so, I'm assuming the higher the PSI rating, the faster the turbo starts building boost.  Obviously there's a point of diminishing returns....just wanting to make sure I understand the theory.

Also, what's the stock WGA rated at?  I see EPP's WGA rated at 7 psi and I'm wondering how this compares to stock.

Thanks in advance,
S
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

ZSHO

The stock pressure is 5 psi IIRC!  Z

Page 162 +
Good Info can be found here!  Z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VkJM9I721ybIDRvniEtIgKh-1zKZAS4F/view?usp=drivesdk

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: 4sfed on August 28, 2018, 11:13:47 PM

Can someone clarify/confirm how the WGA works?  I'm assuming that vacuum holds the WGA open and when vacuum drops low enough it allows the turbo to build boost that is routed to the engine.  If so, I'm assuming the higher the PSI rating, the faster the turbo starts building boost.  Obviously there's a point of diminishing returns....just wanting to make sure I understand the theory.

Also, what's the stock WGA rated at?  I see EPP's WGA rated at 7 psi and I'm wondering how this compares to stock.

Thanks in advance,
S

I think Z is correct at bout 4-5 psi...But I think you need some turbo boost control theory school.

Vacuum is NEVER part of this boost control system..On some of the newer ecoboosts it is.

Look at the line that comes from the charge pipe to the boost solenoid...It's always under pressure. The Wastegate is held shut by a spring in a canister with a diaphragm that pushes on the wastegate actuator arm. At 0% duty cycle all of the air in that hose goes through the solenoid, because it's an "normally open" type solenoid, and that pressure pushes on the diaphragm and spring in the canister and the gate opens and lowers boost.

Now if the wastegate duty is 100% the solenoid is acting as a bleed valve and releasing as much air possible, which is making less pressure available to push on that spring in the canister and the wastegate will remain closed which keeps boost higher.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SM105K

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 28, 2018, 11:46:56 PM

Thanks in advance,
S

I think Z is correct at bout 4-5 psi...But I think you need some turbo boost control theory school.

Vacuum is NEVER part of this boost control system..On some of the newer ecoboosts it is.

Look at the line that comes from the charge pipe to the boost solenoid...It's always under pressure. The Wastegate is held shut by a spring in a canister with a diaphragm that pushes on the wastegate actuator arm. At 0% duty cycle all of the air in that hose goes through the solenoid, because it's an "normally open" type solenoid, and that pressure pushes on the diaphragm and spring in the canister and the gate opens and lowers boost.

Now if the wastegate duty is 100% the solenoid is acting as a bleed valve and releasing as much air possible, which is making less pressure available to push on that spring in the canister and the wastegate will remain closed which keeps boost higher.

I was watching that on my datalogs and have it real time on my Livewire.  So basically the higher percentage the more the gate is open and bleeding boost correct?
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

AJP turbo

Quote from: sm105k on August 29, 2018, 10:02:48 AM

Thanks in advance,
S

I was watching that on my datalogs and have it real time on my Livewire.  So basically the higher percentage the more the gate is open and bleeding boost correct?

No......The higher the percentage the more air the boost solenoid is bleeding off which means there will be less pressure acting on the wastegate actuator arm which means the wastegate is staying closed more.....The wastegate doesn't bleed boost, it allows exhaust to bypass the turbine wheel.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SM105K

Thanks Brad, I get what you are saying.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

4sfed

Okay....so this question came from an assumption that the external wastegate controlled max boost, and the internal wastegate controlled when the boost comes on.  My assumption was that the internal wastegate was open until the throttle was pressed far enough to allow the internal wastegate to close, closing the bypass.
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

4sfed

Quote from: 4sfed on August 29, 2018, 08:14:49 PM
Okay....so this question came from an assumption that the external wastegate controlled max boost, and the internal wastegate controlled when the boost comes on.  My assumption was that the internal wastegate was open until the throttle was pressed far enough to allow the internal wastegate to close, closing the bypass.

So...are the wastegates always open until a demand for boost is made?  If not, how is the engine not under constant boost?

Just trying to get my head around how this works.  I understand the basic idea of forcing air in the engine, just not familiar with how the wastegate systems actually work (other than obviously releasing pressure).
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

geophb

-Wastegate is on the turbine side and is held closed by a spring until boost over comes spring pressure. Once boost reaches that pressure it bypasses the turbine, thus limiting boost. IN THEORY if you have a 5# wastegate spring, the max boost you can make is 5#.

-BOV just dump boost when throttle blade is closed so it doesnt backfeed the compressor and try to spin it backwards (surge).

-Wastegate spring wont affect spool time. Since Wastgate is always closed until boost hits certain pressure. 

-Engine wont be under constant boost because there is not enough exhaust flow at low load/idle conditions to spin the turbine fast enough to make boost.  Example: Blowing on a toy pin wheel. Harder you blow the faster it spins. You can demand whatever you want but until you blow harder, it wont spin faster.  ;D

I assumed Wastgate percetage PID meant that was how much the wasgate was open, but it means the opposite?
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

AJP turbo

Wastegate duty cycle % is the duty cycle of the solenoid

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

geophb

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 30, 2018, 10:38:31 AM
Soooo, if wastegate duty cycle stayed at 100% all the time the wastgate will never see boost? Similar to not even having it hooked up, and will never open?

AJP turbo

Quote from: geophb on August 30, 2018, 10:45:09 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on August 30, 2018, 10:38:31 AM
Soooo, if wastegate duty cycle stayed at 100% all the time the wastgate will never see boost? Similar to not even having it hooked up, and will never open?

Well not entirely. If you don't have the vac line that comes out of the solenoid hooked up the wastegate will never open and you will over boost...It needs reference

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

4sfed

Quote from: geophb on August 30, 2018, 09:57:39 AM
-Wastegate is on the turbine side and is held closed by a spring until boost over comes spring pressure. Once boost reaches that pressure it bypasses the turbine, thus limiting boost. IN THEORY if you have a 5# wastegate spring, the max boost you can make is 5#.

Okay, I'm with you on everything you said except the 5# thing.  It sounds like our WGA is 5-ish #'s stock.  How can we make 9# or 14#, if the WGA opens at 5#?
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

geophb

Quote from: 4sfed on August 30, 2018, 12:33:01 PM
Quote from: geophb on August 30, 2018, 09:57:39 AM

Okay, I'm with you on everything you said except the 5# thing.  It sounds like our WGA is 5-ish #'s stock.  How can we make 9# or 14#, if the WGA opens at 5#?
The boost solenoid bleeds boost off the line to the wastegate. So rough example: if your making 10psi and the solenoid is bleeding 5 psi off the pressure line to the wastegate then the wastgate is only seeing 5 psi, and starting to open (with a 5psi spring)

4sfed

Quote from: geophb on August 30, 2018, 12:45:49 PM
The boost solenoid bleeds boost off the line to the wastegate. So rough example: if your making 10psi and the solenoid is bleeding 5 psi off the pressure line to the wastegate then the wastgate is only seeing 5 psi, and starting to open (with a 5psi spring)

Ah!  Okay...thank you.  That helps.

ALSO, I was confusing an external wastegate with the BOV.  I now realize they are not the same thing.

Thanks for your explanations and patience everyone.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)