• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU blew.. (confirmed PTU now)

Started by TopherSho, August 28, 2018, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

PTU is all mechanical, no electronic controls and no clutches on that guy.  But have not heard/read of any gearing differences, so couldn't say. They operate on similar principles, ie, intelligent AWD as Ford calls it, but physical unit sizes are different based on which model they are installed into.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOme

The PTU is significantly cheaper than a trans.  If you never changed the fluid it is likely that.  My PTU fluid in my 2014 had begun to thicken at 30k.  I change it every 20-25k now and use amsoil severe gear.  Got 104k on her and no issues yet.  I'm knocking on wood:)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

TopherSho

Verdict is PTU,  a "inspector" for the warranty is coming to look at it in the next 48 hours.  My fingers are crossed a little bit.. HOPEFULLY the car will be on the lift still where nothing will show of the meth kit ..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOme

Quote from: TopherSho on August 29, 2018, 12:57:00 PM
Verdict is PTU,  a "inspector" for the warranty is coming to look at it in the next 48 hours.  My fingers are crossed a little bit.. HOPEFULLY the car will be on the lift still where nothing will show of the meth kit ..
Do yourself a favor and get the trans serviced while it's there.

SM105K

Quote from: TopherSho on August 28, 2018, 07:39:00 PM
OMFG .. THE SMELL .. WTH???  Seriously do they take urine and feces from demons, dead cats, meth and  cram them into these units?

this is the most awful thing I've ever smelled and I've taken apart a supercharger when I was dumb..

THIS! The fluid in the Eaton M90 was the worst.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

lamrith

PTU is best news it could be, they are relatively inexpensive all things considered.  I opted to not get extended warranty because replacing turbo's and PTU was less than I would pay on an extended coverage warranty. 

Crossing fingers for you that they cover it.  They are a known weak point regardless of tune, so hopefully be straightforward process.  From what I have read here they will hopefully replace it with the '13+ version so you can do flushes on your own moving forward.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

TopherSho

Quote from: sm105k on August 29, 2018, 02:20:14 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on August 28, 2018, 07:39:00 PM
OMFG .. THE SMELL .. WTH???  Seriously do they take urine and feces from demons, dead cats, meth and  cram them into these units?

this is the most awful thing I've ever smelled and I've taken apart a supercharger when I was dumb..

THIS! The fluid in the Eaton M90 was the worst.

Even the refill oil I ordered was pungent ..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho

Quote from: lamrith on August 29, 2018, 02:25:57 PM
PTU is best news it could be, they are relatively inexpensive all things considered.  I opted to not get extended warranty because replacing turbo's and PTU was less than I would pay on an extended coverage warranty. 

Crossing fingers for you that they cover it.  They are a known weak point regardless of tune, so hopefully be straightforward process.  From what I have read here they will hopefully replace it with the '13+ version so you can do flushes on your own moving forward.

Yeah that seems a stellar idea!

polskifacet

Mine fell apart and i put it back together with silicone and loctite 92k and still ripping, changing the oil is critical.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

TopherSho

It has been covered.   But they protested heavily citing the meth kit.  :P

ZSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on August 31, 2018, 11:51:24 AM
Congrats! I guess your last resort is to Blame the previous owner!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on August 31, 2018, 11:54:12 AM

maybe next time! Hopefully this is the last major repair.  if i can go without another big bang for a few years maybe e85 will be a little more wide spread and i can ditch the meth and go e30 instead.  then there will be no visible mods for them to zero in on. 

bpd1151

So much for hoping they wouldn't find it. Despite how well hidden you believed it to be.

Problem is now, is that in the event of future repairs, is that it has been noticed, and is highly likely that it has been documented quite extensively in their database(s), so no matter which dealer you may choose to return to for future repair(s), this will follow you around like an albatross.

Be prepared for constant, uphill battles from this point forward. On nearly everything.

Good luck. :thumb:

irondoor19

DO THE PTU Drain Plug Install when they are done at 20K more miles
then you will be golden till the trans or motor blows...
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

SHOme

Let me know if you ditch the meth.  I'm interested in putting it on.
Quote from: TopherSho on August 31, 2018, 12:31:06 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on August 31, 2018, 11:54:12 AM
It has been covered.   But they protested heavily citing the meth kit. 

maybe next time! Hopefully this is the last major repair.  if i can go without another big bang for a few years maybe e85 will be a little more wide spread and i can ditch the meth and go e30 instead.  then there will be no visible mods for them to zero in on.