• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU blew.. (confirmed PTU now)

Started by TopherSho, August 28, 2018, 07:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Quote from: SHOdded on September 14, 2018, 11:18:22 AM
Letting the car warm up for 4+ minutes only warms up the engine, not the transmission.  Keep an eye on trans temps to see how long they take to reach operating temperature under your driving conditions.
So true.

I see it on my trans temp gauge that it routinely takes twice as long, if not longer, for the trans fluid to get up to operating temps.

Annoying when one's just starting out and wants to have fun. But due diligence, coupled with patience, is tantamount to longevity of the components.

Mine's a great example of that.

Topher...... continued successes with not only resolution, but also enjoying your whip to its' fullest! :thumb:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on September 14, 2018, 11:04:51 AM
My 2010 had stuttering issues on shifts which is well documented here... specifically with Unleashed and LMS... the car would go to shift under WOT and it would stutter before catching the gear.. sometimes it wouldnt catch gear until very late if I pushed through it. Topping off a pint over full helped a lot but it never fully solved the issue..never was able to figure it out..

Hammering it while turning almost always produced the issue.. think trying to swing the rear end around into a drift.. it just flat out wouldnt catch gear and it wasn't the advancetrac kicking in, it was a mechanical issue.

I hope you are able to solve it, it was a major PIA at the track.. some runs would go flawlessly and others I would have to back out halfway down the track.. it would do it most on the 1st to 2nd, but occasionally on other gears..

That 2010 had been beat to death...so I am SURE that played a factor.

Sounds similar,  it is frustrating as the issue did not occur until the PTU replacement.  I am still mapping it out.. I am less inclined to think it is the TQ converter now as running in manual mode i can load the crap out of it and not see the issue in any other gear. 

If the Fluid is at the right level after testing hot today and the behavior is dead cold only i may just resolve to accept it as is for now until it breaks.  I dont race it cold so i simply may have never seen the cold stutter before.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 14, 2018, 11:18:22 AM
Letting the car warm up for 4+ minutes only warms up the engine, not the transmission.  Keep an eye on trans temps to see how long they take to reach operating temperature under your driving conditions.

noted.  but it is not dead cold though?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

ZSHO

It takes roughly 30 minutes before the TRANS is FULLY Warm up IIRC!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Just a sample of trans temp behavior.  It takes a while.  And with the bypass valve opening well before operating temp, higher speed driving will slow temp rise further (passive cooling).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 14, 2018, 01:44:02 PM
Just a sample of trans temp behavior.  It takes a while.  And with the bypass valve opening well before operating temp, higher speed driving will slow temp rise further (passive cooling).

That's a handy chart.. i need to just do a log of my own for my environment ..

SHOdded

it's always good to get cozy with your ride ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

After a hot drive to and from my work meeting I checked the fluid in the transmission after adding one quart and one eighth yesterday, it still needed more to not be in the fill zone and to a
Be above the hash by 1/8.

That makes 1 fully and about 1/3-to 1/2 I put in it.

SHOdded

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on September 14, 2018, 05:11:44 PM
Lotta fluid!

Fixed. runs EXACTLY like it used to now.

I'm taking the video of me checking the fluid and finding it almost off the stick to the dealership gm.  i have no real expectations,  but i plan on letting them know of how awful it has been dealing with them and their past and current mistakes, NO TEST DRIVE and now i get to drive to another shop for my needs. 

These guys just suck.  I gave them 4 opportunities ... the failed every time.

bpd1151

Glad to hear all is whole/complete once again.

The irony of how touchy this car is to even slightly low level(s) of fluid(s) is awkward.

Seems it likes a touch more of everything across the board with any/all fluids.

Particularly in the cases of the tranny and coolant.

Meh. I digress. Sucks you have to source yet another new shop for future repairs, but at least it sounds like you escaped this craptastic experience virtually unscathed.

Enjoy a weekend of spirited fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Thanks BPD1151

The GM listened and has added text to my car record that the incident with the tranny fluid could have 'possibly' damaged it.  They have agreed to take a sample of the fluid for testing..  obviously THEY will do it and THEY will have test run themselves .. So how much i trust this i do not know.  But when i mentioned if it fails in the next few months they said they'd replace it.  I asked for a Tranny shop to do it as my experiences there have been negative and they declined to pay for another shop to do it citing them not covering third party repairs.. I get it .  I don't like it.

I am keeping my exceptions super low,  like dead gopher low.  But we will see.

lamrith

Quote from: TopherSho on September 14, 2018, 05:45:04 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on September 14, 2018, 05:11:44 PM
Lotta fluid!

Fixed. runs EXACTLY like it used to now.

I'm taking the video of me checking the fluid and finding it almost off the stick to the dealership gm.  i have no real expectations,  but i plan on letting them know of how awful it has been dealing with them and their past and current mistakes, NO TEST DRIVE and now i get to drive to another shop for my needs. 

These guys just suck.  I gave them 4 opportunities ... the failed every time.
Some things to keep in mind

• It may very well have had a test drive, and been full of fluid before said drive and ran ok.  I do not recall you saying you had any odd shifting or issues under normal driving?  That is exactly6 what a tech would have experienced as well, normal operation.  Post drive it probably pulled fluid in and thus the level dropped.  Now the SHOULD have checked it post drive, no argument there.
  • Tech are NOT going to be WOT testing any car.  Do you really want them to?  Every car group I have ever been part of there has been holly hell raised if it was found out a tech was WOT a car in for repair.  I am talking burning tech at the stake, widespread social media bashing and  boycotting of said dealership sort of outrage.
  • As mentioned here a few times, you never want to WOT a car when cold, so if I tech was to run it hard that means 30min+ time driving around, time you are being billed for, and time they do not have.  Not to mention more risk in time on road with other morons having an accident
Just sharing an opposing view, I fully understand your frustration.  You have had a rough go Topher, and way more patience than I have.  I would have dumped that car months ago, been there done that with the car before this.  I LOVED my STS-V, but the constant issues drove me crazy, so I traded it in on the SHO.  I hope this is the last of the issues for you, I want to see you in the 12's.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

TopherSho

Would agree *if* I had detuned it. It was still full tuned.  50% throttle cold caused the issue. 

As to wot testing.. it wasn't needed to reproduce just getting on the freeway dropped it out and back into gear. 

As for 12's ;) I have been running 12.6# since last September and it is a hoot pushing this 4650lb sled with a paltry 2.77 ratio.

I totally get the POV but it was evident there was a issue without hammering it.

TopherSho

Quote from: Macgyver on September 12, 2018, 09:15:27 PM
Since they serviced and flushed etc your Trans.

What is the fluid level at ?

Isnt the recommendation here to slightly over fill these units?

BTW,  I forgot to thank you properly sir. your reminder about the slight overfill lead me to find the 1.25 missing quarts of Trans oil.  TOTALLY forgot I did the overfill with the previous tuner.

thank you Sir!