• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hot pipe mod?

Started by 4sfed, August 20, 2018, 08:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4sfed

In the never ending search for a cooler intake charge, I was playing with the idea of wrapping heat tape around my factory downpipes. I figured that would HAVE to help at least a little with underhood temp.  Then I was trying to think of a way to take some heat out of the intake air charge.  WHICH leads me to my question;  has anyone ever experimented with putting some type of heat sink fins on the hot pipes?  With an air charge temp of 130+, and a 90 or 95 degree under hood temp passing through the fins, might it help a little?

2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

Agentlongwood

I asked some similar questions when I first started posting on here.  The answers I got were that the improvements would be mostly wasted, since our intercooler sucks so bad.  To be fair I don't think anyone has actually tried it... But the answer I got was that you could wrap all the exhaust, shield the intake, put on turbo blankets, and it wouldn't matter much.  The air gets heated up by the compressor, and the intercooler just isn't up to the task.  You'd see WAAAYYY better numbers by improving the intercooler.  Then worry about the insulation.  At least that's the gist of the answers I got when I asked.  I would like to see someone try the combo of exhaust wraps, turbo blankets, and hot pipe insulating/shielding.  For science, lol.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

ZSHO

Im not sure if it's relevant,but you can certainly add some heat reflective tape on the existing charge pipes similar to the PI version ! Z
https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8744.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

EcoPowerParts

I firmly believe that with the speed of the air going through the pipes at WOT that there's no real time for convection heating to occur. The thing that needs to be upgraded is the intercooler which Matt@GHG is working on BUT I still really feel that a water to air would be amazing on the car and easily made. I just don't have the cycles or funds to develop it currently due to someone doing some credit card fraud against my paypal account and costing me $2900 :(
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOdded

May hell rain rain upon the perpetrators, Mike!  So sorry to hear!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Agentlongwood

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on August 21, 2018, 11:48:54 AM
due to someone doing some credit card fraud against my paypal account and costing me $2900 :(

Dang man, sorry to hear about that.  We had a break in at our house and had to deal with credit and what not.  So I know it's not fun.  I hope everything gets worked out for you man.

On the subject of intercoolers, wasn't someone working on one that was a "drop-in" replacement for the factory unit, just Bar-and-plate style with better end-tanks?  Is that the one you are mentioning in regards to Matt@GHG? 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

geophb

Was on rockauto looking at intercoolers after i hit a deer. There are a few all aluminum aftermarket ones, I dont know if they are better though.
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

@- Mike.B Sorry to hear about the mischief with PP! I'm a firm believer what goes around comes around!  Best of luck. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

4sfed

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on August 21, 2018, 11:48:54 AMMatt@GHG ... due to someone doing some credit card fraud against my paypal account and costing me $2900 :(

Sorry to hear about the credit card fraud.  With that Equifax breach last year (or whenever it was), EVERYONE should freeze their credit with Transunion, Equifax and Experian.  That will keep people from being able to pull a credit score without your permission.  That breach has enough information in there, for anyone to literally become you...very scary.

Who or what, is GHG?
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

4sfed

2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: 4sfed on August 21, 2018, 10:38:44 PM
Quote from: EcoPowerParts on August 21, 2018, 11:48:54 AMMatt@GHG ... due to someone doing some credit card fraud against my paypal account and costing me $2900 :(

Sorry to hear about the credit card fraud.  With that Equifax breach last year (or whenever it was), EVERYONE should freeze their credit with Transunion, Equifax and Experian.  That will keep people from being able to pull a credit score without your permission.  That breach has enough information in there, for anyone to literally become you...very scary.

Who or what, is GHG?
I had a customer use a bad card against my website and paypal allowed for it to pass as my credit card processor. I'm all over my own personal credit, anybody touches it I know, anything changes I know and have instant lockdown capabilities. :) Myfico.com is super awesome for that.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts