• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

All over the road... suspension improvement possible?

Started by ToMang07, August 17, 2018, 09:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToMang07

Ok, so I've got a couple thousand miles on the car now, and overall, I absolutely love it.

My issue I think is twofold.

One, on a hard acceleration, I get torque steer. On a flat road, it's manageable.

Two, on crowned roads, specifically changing lanes, it's scary under power, the car is all over the damn place.

I'm very convinced it's a torque steer issue. under normal driving conditions to moderate acceleration, it's fine. But if I'm feeling froggy and goose it.... just about every time the road dips, changes angles, etc, the car just wants to go whichever way the road dips.

The one thread I found with traction bars seemed to indicate that they didn't help. I found a couple with upgraded adjustable stabilizer end links. Outside of that....what options are there to minimize/reduce this issue?
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

TopherSho

Hey boss! 

I can relate,  we have some crappy roads here in Oregon,  they full the ruts with patch pavment and under hard accel the car LURCHES from left to right as it moves across. 

I found that my issue was tire related,  i had Conti-DWS 06's and when they were about 18-19k worn they would cause the behavior to be come exaggerated.   once i replaced them with my pirellii's the issue is much less pronounced...

*but* i can still feel it and always have.  under hard pedal action the traction control (disabled or not) shifts power dynamically from front to back..and only seems to do it under hard acceleration so it literally just shoves 150+ftlbs to the back... then doesn't.. then does it again.  it makes the back push left or right depending on the ruts.. it feels weird.

on the other hand it means i can in limited fashion drift .. until it gets mad and shuts off the rears and then i can do 3rd gear burn outs :P
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ToMang07

Quote from: TopherSho on August 17, 2018, 10:11:53 AM
Hey boss! 

I can relate,  we have some crappy roads here in Oregon,  they full the ruts with patch pavment and under hard accel the car LURCHES from left to right as it moves across. 

I found that my issue was tire related,  i had Conti-DWS 06's and when they were about 18-19k worn they would cause the behavior to be come exaggerated.   once i replaced them with my pirellii's the issue is much less pronounced...

*but* i can still feel it and always have.  under hard pedal action the traction control (disabled or not) shifts power dynamically from front to back..and only seems to do it under hard acceleration so it literally just shoves 150+ftlbs to the back... then doesn't.. then does it again.  it makes the back push left or right depending on the ruts.. it feels weird.

on the other hand it means i can in limited fashion drift .. until it gets mad and shuts off the rears and then i can do 3rd gear burn outs :P

LOL, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just feel there's gotta be a way to tighten it up.

My tires Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105.... front are around 30% tread remaining, rears are 85%. However they don't make these anymore, so I'll be running them at least for this summer, and hopefully in the spring I can put new ones on when I swap back to summer tires. I have Michelin Winter Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 tires for it on SEL wheels) and I've been considering the Michelin Sport/Super Sport Tires when the time comes.
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

geophb

Mine does this and also has alot of bump steer. I replaced the front lower control arm bushings which seemed to help but its still there.
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

How many miles on your SHO!  I changed Struts-Strut mounts -Shocks-Stabilizer Bar Links- Hubs (wheel bearings) and new updated metal thrust washers @ roughly 60K and IMO certainly warranted.
The SHO drives better than new with a best overall 1.72 60' times. Z

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,suspension,strut,7584

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ToMang07

I just had it inspected a couple weeks ago, everything is tight.
~Tom~

SHOdded

The wider the tire the worse it can get.  Are the yokos stock sized?  Tramlining.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ToMang07

Rear Tires - 295/35ZR-20 Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105
Front Tires - 255/40ZR-20 Yokohama ADVAN Sport V105
~Tom~

SHOdded

Hmm could be a problem due to the rears.  A) wider tire, B) more tread.  No rotation possible due to differing sizes, so i cant even say to swap f/r and see.  An idea MAY be to run higher pressure in the rears to reduce the contact patch some, if willing to experiment.

ToMang07

Quote from: SHOdded on August 17, 2018, 12:12:53 PM
Hmm could be a problem due to the rears.  A) wider tire, B) more tread.  No rotation possible due to differing sizes, so i cant even say to swap f/r and see.  An idea MAY be to run higher pressure in the rears to reduce the contact patch some, if willing to experiment.

Worth trying I suppose. I am already running 34PSI tho.
~Tom~

lamrith

stock height, lowered?  Have you taken it in to have alignment checked and set properly?

When I lowered my car it was that way, Allll over the road, specially on bumps.  Even if you have not lowered, your alignment still could be off enough to cause those issues...

Other than that the other guys have covered most other possibilities.  Due realize though, this is a FWD biased drivetrain, they have torquesteer, though sounds like yours is pretty severe.

Hope some off that helps.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ZSHO

FWIW noticed my SHO has a bit of Tramline since upgrading from the stock 245-45-20 to 255-45-20 Dunlop Sport max Gt tires which have a firmer sidewall and handles corners like it's on rails... ...  :drive:
It drives nice & straight with precision,but on rare instances it will Tramline depending on the type of road.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Vortech347

Just don't try to take any fast turns.  You'll understeer and plow like a farmer with that tire combo.

TQ steer is gonna happen, our car's front wheels are directly driven.  The rear's only get power occasionally and it's not even a big transfer, it's only about 150-200ft-lbs if I remember right.

Now if we had AWD systems like a Focus RS...oh boy, things would be very different.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

SHOdded

34 psi is below 35 psi standard.  So you need to RAISE to say 37-38 in the rears to test.