• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Crazy tire price for G-MAX AS-05 All-Season Radial Tire - 275/40ZR20 106W

Started by Macgyver, August 15, 2018, 12:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Daaaamn it!  Anyone have any feedback on that tire?  I had planned to run Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires in that size.  But hard to pass up $95 instead of $170
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

lamrith

Tire-rack wants over 2x as much for them.  They have a nice video review of them next to other tires though.  The video review was good compared to other tires in class.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-05&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=74WR0GMAS05XL&tab=Sizes

Ugghhh  You guys are costing me $!!  It showed only 6 left, so I did not spend my usual time researching them as I knew they would be gone.   Just pulled trigger on a full set of them.  Simply cannot pass up that sort of tire for the $.  MY 245/45's still have tread left, but the new wheels are begging for properly sized shoes.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

glock-coma

I would've jumped all over this deal this morning if I didn't need to buy new wheels to fit properly :(
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Macgyver

I saw this late last nite and posted. The other day they only had 2. I have been checking this daily for more stock to show up IF they were not just clearing out two tires.

They must have got more stock? I grabbed 4.

They might have more stock showing up so pin this somewhere and check back daily.

You cant beat $119 a tire installed. I have a local shop that does it for $70 with disposal.

On that link to purchase it was gonna send me to Sears for $80 I think which isnt too bad.

lamrith

Quote from: Macgyver on August 15, 2018, 05:36:50 PM
I saw this late last nite and posted. The other day they only had 2. I have been checking this daily for more stock to show up IF they were not just clearing out two tires.

They must have got more stock? I grabbed 4.

They might have more stock showing up so pin this somewhere and check back daily.

You cant beat $119 a tire installed. I have a local shop that does it for $70 with disposal.

On that link to purchase it was gonna send me to Sears for $80 I think which isnt too bad.
They showed 6 when I saw this and posted earlier.  I bought 4 of them, we will see if they then add more.

That is a steal for install price.  Places out here are $100 higher than that.  I have a hole in the wall place close that is cheap, but I am not trusting my wheels to them.

Macgyver

Its Reading Pa so. Not a high cost of living area.

$15 to vulcanize patch a tire. LOL

lamrith

Quote from: Macgyver on August 15, 2018, 09:59:56 PM

They showed me a place that was $19.9/tire but it was a good 45min drive north on a no traffic day.

FYI folks they are back to full stock, not saying anything about limited qty and the price is still $95.  They are prime, but say in bold 2-3 days to ship.  Mine are showing approx next Wed.

Macgyver

Quote from: lamrith on August 16, 2018, 08:40:45 AM
Quote from: Macgyver on August 15, 2018, 09:59:56 PM

They showed me a place that was $19.9/tire but it was a good 45min drive north on a no traffic day.

FYI folks they are back to full stock, not saying anything about limited qty and the price is still $95.  They are prime, but say in bold 2-3 days to ship.  Mine are showing approx next Wed.

Incredible Pricing. Dont know why either unless they are clearing up excess stock.

I got an Full Injen 3" stainless exhaust for my Juke from Amazon. $100 shipped. They were just getting rid of them. Normally around $450.

These are decent tires and they should be a great ride on the SHO 20" flower wheels.

lamrith

Quote from: Macgyver on August 16, 2018, 05:44:33 PM
Incredible Pricing. Dont know why either unless they are clearing up excess stock.

These are decent tires and they should be a great ride on the SHO 20" flower wheels.
Probably overstocked, or they have a new version on the way, or maybe they have been sitting a while and trying to move them due to datecode?

I have 20X9.5 aftermarket wheels, so these will be perfect.  Only thing I am "concerned" about is they are pretty hard @ 500AA rating

griggs95

Quote from: lamrith on August 15, 2018, 02:53:58 PM
Daaaamn it!  Anyone have any feedback on that tire?  I had planned to run Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires in that size.  But hard to pass up $95 instead of $170

I have these in a 245/45 20 and the ride is firmer than I'm used to. I have a PP so I don't really want a firmer ride but the tire is over-all responsive with turn in, and grip is there when pushed in the corners. I have no idea what bad weather conditions are like since I try not to drive it in snow or rain.

My concern with these is if you're looking for a 40 series (like these listed) they would be too firm. Especially when they wear half way, you'd probably want to replace them early; which negates your savings and longevity.

They also want to "track" on concrete and follow the grooves which can get annoying. On asphalt they are great and really pretty quiet in general (no pun).

I'd go for the Indy's. I've heard great things about these and wish I'd gotten them. If you need all season though, maybe step up to a 45 series in these?
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

limited02

Quote from: griggs95 on August 17, 2018, 12:26:35 PM

I have these in a 245/45 20 and the ride is firmer than I'm used to. I have a PP so I don't really want a firmer ride but the tire is over-all responsive with turn in, and grip is there when pushed in the corners. I have no idea what bad weather conditions are like since I try not to drive it in snow or rain.

My concern with these is if you're looking for a 40 series (like these listed) they would be too firm. Especially when they wear half way, you'd probably want to replace them early; which negates your savings and longevity.

They also want to "track" on concrete and follow the grooves which can get annoying. On asphalt they are great and really pretty quiet in general (no pun).

I'd go for the Indy's. I've heard great things about these and wish I'd gotten them. If you need all season though, maybe step up to a 45 series in these?

Next time you need tires, go with a 255/45/20 as that should help it ride a touch better. 

Izzybird

Quote from: limited02 on August 17, 2018, 03:15:09 PM

Next time you need tires, go with a 255/45/20 as that should help it ride a touch better.
I agree, the 255 was a welcome improvement over the wearing Michelin's that came on it. Much better ride and it's not a PP, you guys with a PP must feel like your rolling down the road in my leaf sprung one ton truck.
Wife's '15 SHO non PP

lamrith

Quote from: Izzybird on August 18, 2018, 10:54:25 AM
Quote from: limited02 on August 17, 2018, 03:15:09 PM

I agree, the 255 was a welcome improvement over the wearing Michelin's that came on it. Much better ride and it's not a PP, you guys with a PP must feel like your rolling down the road in my leaf sprung one ton truck.
Mine does not feel like that.  Least not anymore since I removed the H&R's and went back to stock springs.