• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Power loss at mid and high rpm

Started by Quinid, August 14, 2018, 04:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinid

Just this morning to work, I noticed the Flex was crawling between 90 to 100. Thought it may have been just a fluke. Played around on the drive home and the torque is still there at the bottom end for the most part, but then the pull weakens as the rpms go up, then pulls harder again once it shifts. Old school me says fuel filter, but after looking it up online, there is no fuel filter to change?
33k miles
Never modified or tuned
no engine light.
no rough idle or studdering.
I use 93 octane from the same station every time.

Any ideas? It's under warranty still, but just hoping there's something I can check myself before handing the stealership 100 bucks.
2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

SHOdded

I would like to see you tell the stealership you are having this issue at 90-100 mph LOL.

When were plugs and fluids last serviced?  Belts look ok?  IAT snd IAT2?  I would start there.  Might be cats, but doesn't seem so.  If you have climate control on, may not be putting out enough voltage/amps.  If all else fails, check that fuses are firmly seated in the engine comp fuse box and try a KAM reset.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Quinid

Oil changed about 1500 miles ago. Doubt the plugs have been touched. Unless they check the plugs when Ford does the Ford certified thing, which was done at 21k miles. I'll try a KAM reset. Ty Hopefully not cats. Found out the hard way Ford warranty does not cover exhaust with the taurus.

SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod

ToMang07

Quote from: Quinid on August 14, 2018, 06:09:56 PM
Oil changed about 1500 miles ago. Doubt the plugs have been touched. Unless they check the plugs when Ford does the Ford certified thing, which was done at 21k miles. I'll try a KAM reset. Ty Hopefully not cats. Found out the hard way Ford warranty does not cover exhaust with the taurus.

QuoteThe warranty coverage period for:
• Passenger cars, light duty trucks (applies to vehicles up to 8,500
pounds GVWR)
— The emission warranty coverage period is 8 years or 80,000 miles
(whichever occurs first) for catalytic converters, electronic
emission control units, and onboard emissions diagnostic devices.

Page 23 actual, 18 in document.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/14frdwa2e.pdf
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

SHOdded

Ford CPO is a joke IMHO, BUT it gives you access to the best and longest warranty offered by Ford.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on August 14, 2018, 06:22:16 PM
Ford CPO is a joke IMHO, BUT it gives you access to the best and longest warranty offered by Ford.
Very dependent on tech and dealership...

SHOdded

I really don't think so ... the payoff isn't there for them to do an in-depth inspection I guess?  Do they really put their best and most experienced tech on the job for CPO?  Does that tech have experience specific to that car/powertrain?

Izzybird

Quote from: SHOdded on August 15, 2018, 12:08:37 AM
I really don't think so ... the payoff isn't there for them to do an in-depth inspection I guess?  Do they really put their best and most experienced tech on the job for CPO?  Does that tech have experience specific to that car/powertrain?
My guess is a big No. I looked at a local "certified" car and noticed one of the tires didn't match, looked closer and a spot on the wheel had a different look to the finish. Huh, the dang wheel is bent. Start looking over the front end on that side real good and sure enough, a little overspray and tape marks. This car has been in a wreck Buddy. He couldn't even begin to build a argument, quite obviously.
Wife's '15 SHO non PP

Vortech347

Quote from: Izzybird on August 15, 2018, 11:38:02 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on August 15, 2018, 12:08:37 AM
My guess is a big No. I looked at a local "certified" car and noticed one of the tires didn't match, looked closer and a spot on the wheel had a different look to the finish. Huh, the dang wheel is bent. Start looking over the front end on that side real good and sure enough, a little overspray and tape marks. This car has been in a wreck Buddy. He couldn't even begin to build a argument, quite obviously.

My car was a CPO and had new tires but they were the cheapest damn tires possible on it.  I talked to the dealership about putting the correct OEM ones on and they told me to pound sand.  Two of my SHO wheels were also curb rashed.  Don't hold your breath that CPO stuff is awesome.  It's better than nothing but don't blindly go in thinking it's "as new".
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

AJP turbo

What it is it's a biz and it's dirty , you'll get rich but life expectancy is about thirty

Now what you want me to do? Lol lol lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

This is not related to the ecoboost platform but most recently purchased an 03 G35 and noticed the other day it still had the original oem tires which were dated late 2002 exactly when the vehicle was built based on the date on the tires.
This was indeed a one owner corporate vehicle which then purchased it as a pre-owned certified vehicle which means crap!!! Its simply the luck of the draw IMO!

Now Back to the Topic on hand posted by the OP. TIA.  Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Quinid

Update: i did not do a KAM reset. Have not had time this week. Also I think I left my Bluetooth scanner in the Taurus when i traded it in. So I get to go purchase another one of those...
I managed to run the entire tank and refueled more 93 octane but from a different station. Still acting funny. Also there's a squeal at the shifts at 3/4 throttle, but not full throttle. I honestly could not tell if it was the tires chirping or a belt squeal. Anyway it is going in the shop. The Flex has also developed a funny noise in the steering. That popping sound you hear when you turn the wheels on gravel? Just like that, yet I'm on pavement.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'll just let the techs figure it out. It's amazing how much available time you lose to fix your own car once you have a baby......

Quinid

So the dealership called. The Flex is overboosting and they can't figure out why. Still no engine light. Their scanner is reading 20PSI with spikes of 29PSI and the fuel can't keep up. So they thought this Flex may be tuned so they checked and found that it is in fact stock so they are stumped so far. Now it is accelerating like a bat out of hell from stop lights at 20% applied throttle. It's also surging at 50% throttle, boost going all over the place. Looks like it will be at the shop a few more days...

SHOdded

Turbos, BOVs and the hoses atop the manifold would be the obvious things to check in an overboost situation. They have verified all those?

Quinid

I imagine they will first thing in the morning. I'm guessing a BOV. They also ordered a new door hinge. They think that is causing the driver door open alarm going off once a week going down the road. They can't seem to get the steering to make the noise I hear.