• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear Brake issue?

Started by Scott13SHO, August 13, 2018, 12:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott13SHO

I have a '13 SHO with about 77k on it. I replaced the all brakes on it about two years ago-I think I was at the 43k mark then.

Anyways, been having some weird issues with the drivers side rear brake-I drove out to Ohio back in May and had some minor squeaking coming from it.

A month or so later when it was like 90+ the car squeeled really bad coming home work when I applied the brakes-then never did it again.

I broke my leg July 3rd and the car sat for a few weeks (and a dead battery later) and I started driving again about two-three weeks ago.

So I drove home Thursday and the car was acting a little weird (was getting about 16.5 MPG which was pretty low, normally get 17.5+) and the rear wheel squeaked once or twice again.

I got home and felt the wheels. The fronts where warm like they are normally, but the back rear was really warm to the touch and it sounded like I could hear the caliper retracting after I parked it (didn't set the parking brake)

The car sat a few days and drove to work this AM. No squeaks and the rear wheel was barely above ambient temp when I checked it. My MPG also was starting to rise back to its norms also.

I know the 2006-2008 gen D4 cars used to eat rear brake shoes up (parents had one), but never heard that with the post 2010 design.

Anyone else experience something like this? Im thinking the caliper could be hanging, but I haven't hit metal to metal contact on it yet either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

ZSHO

It sounds like a Sticky Caliper IMO! 
Check the rear rotors for any such scraping marks,followed by any rust buildup around the perimeter of the rotors.......
Brake reservoir fluid @ Full capacity!
I would also perform a brake system flush especially if the brake fluid is original IMO!  Z 

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ToMang07

I had my passenger rear stick a little when I first bought it, only did it a few times, (Wheel was getting hot to the tough, squeaking) I assume from sitting. (PO used it little) I took the wheel off, took the pads off, cleaned the pads and rotors really well with brake cleaner, cleaned the caliper really well, greased up the pistons, then used my kit to compress it back in all the way. Cleaned it again, lubed the seal area and pad slides, and it had been good since. Mileage instantly rebounded from 17 to 20.
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

Scott13SHO

Ok, I'm following up on this and I'm still stumped with why it's squeaking. I pulled the wheel off a couple weekends ago and took a look-I have no abnormal wear on the brake shoes or rotor.

It is still squeaking-I noticed it only does it at 0-15
mph and disappears over 20 mph. I does it without the brakes being applied (at a stop, release the brakes) and doesn't happen all the time either. Could there be some sort of issue with the hub?

Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

Macgyver

Depress the parking brake a little while moving and see if the noise changes.

4sfed

If everything is okay, that squeak is most likely the pads vibrating.  Put something on the back of the pads, and it'll most likely go away.  I usually put some anti-seize on the back of my pads.....not because I think they'll seize, but because that what I've already got next to me (for the caliper slides).  But any anti squeak/squeal stuff should work.
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

ZSHO

I would spray some WD-40 only on ONE SIDE of the rear brakes to see if you can pin-point the exact side the squeak is coming from! 
I would also Check the E-Brake!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Factory pads or aftermarket, Scott?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Scott13SHO

Quote from: SHOdded on October 16, 2018, 04:01:08 PM
Pads where changed out about 30k miles ago. I replaced them with Ford OEM pads I think.

SHOdded

If the suggested methods do not work, aftermarket pads might be the solution to go with.  Maybe some of the Police Interceptor choices out there, even.

ZSHO

Quote from: Scott13SHO on October 16, 2018, 04:03:21 PM
Pads where changed out about 30k miles ago. I replaced them with Ford OEM pads I think.

Rotors original!  Z

Scott13SHO

Quote from: ZSHO on October 16, 2018, 05:33:45 PM
Quote from: Scott13SHO on October 16, 2018, 04:03:21 PM

Rotors original!  Z

Nope replaced.

I tried engaging the e-brake at low speeds when it was happening-it stopped.

ZSHO

Scott13SHO

Well the brake quiet seems to have done the trick! Thanks!