• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil consumption

Started by shaundizzle15, August 10, 2018, 10:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaundizzle15

As the title says, I change oil at 5k and have been using amsoil for about 15k. I noticed my last change I only had 5.25 quarts. I'm at 98k on the motor. Haven't noticed any oil leaks when under the car, I had a srt4 before that also would consume some oil but almost a whole quart seems excessive. Anybody else run into this and if so was that normal or was some other failure found?
Thanks
Hockey/Golf/Car geek, Beagle loving, and totally comfortable with it.
Tuxedo Black nonPP 2013 SHO traded in
Shadow Black nonPP 2016 SHO
VTA, and tuned by GH

glock-coma

Could be leaking through the turbo seals and into the intercooler.
But you typically will see visible smoke out the exhaust.
Maybe check inside the intercooler with your oil dipstick and look for accumulation.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Macgyver

If you have around 5k on the oil. Just less than 1 quart low is not a terrible scenario. You will see pro and con against this.

shaundizzle15

Glock how would I do that? Use the dip stick that is?
VTA, and tuned by GH

shaundizzle15

Nm Glock just found the how to
VTA, and tuned by GH

ZSHO

Have you noticed any other issues! It could be excessive blow by which can be detected through the TB & CAC!
Check the PCV Oil Sep System & rear valve cover especially if original!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Need an updated valve cover and PCV valve/separator as mentioned by Z, in all likelihood.  same issues on other models also resolved with redesigned valve covers.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shaundizzle15

Probably original Z, is that a recall or am I on my own for those parts?
VTA, and tuned by GH

SHOdded

Unless u have powertrain warranty, your own dime ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: shaundizzle15 on August 11, 2018, 10:59:32 AM
Probably original Z, is that a recall or am I on my own for those parts?
No recall IIRC! But there is only a TSB on the issue!  ESP would be ideal as SHOdded mentioned ^^^. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Vortech347

I do mine every 6k and I'm always about a quart low.  Just how these cars roll.  My first oil change I went the full 10k.  I had a heart attack when I pulled the plug and half of what I expected came out.  I had to have been 2 qts low.  I was like, no thank you.  Now set the clock at 60%

Just the nature of boosted cars.  Typically they have looser rings which allow a bit more blow by and oil to get into the chambers. 
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

SHOdded

Installing the redesigned valve cover on an NA 3.5 has cut oil consumption from .5 qt in 5k miles to 0.  Def worthwhile.

ZSHO

I have always used Redline & Amsoil religiously,changed @ 3K intervals for a peace of mind! FWIW NOT an ounce of oil lost @ roughly 60K with hints of OCD! Lol.  Z

shaundizzle15

Thanks boys, bought used at 60k and a couple of free Ford oil changes and being on here made the switch to Ams. I will look at getting the redesign.
VTA, and tuned by GH

ZSHO

I was curious on who changed your oil!
Future reference the owner's manual says Six quarts with Oil filter,but technically it takes 5.8 quarts as per Ocd specs!
BTW make sure to remove the oil cap prior to drainage due to pressure relief......
Best of luck.  Z