• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

J2 Dual Feed Intake

Started by StealBlueSho, August 08, 2018, 09:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suddueth13

Quote from: StealBlueSho on August 13, 2018, 07:40:20 AM
Yes, boost is measured at the intake manifold and before the throttle body.  That wasn't the question.

If the air going into the turbo inlet from the intake is hot air from the under the hood, the compressor is going to work harder to generate the same amount of boost as cold air.

Hot air is less dense... so you need more of it to create the same amount of boost as colder air. To achieve this the wastegate is gonna to close more to get the compressor to spin faster so tt can compress more air to achieve target boost....

I would think this would cause more wear and tear on the turbos.

But in any event.... after I was told the return on investment of developing a box to enclose the filter was not worth it, and that it didn't matter....surprise... they are now developing a box that seals to the hood just like BPD1151 setup....

Irritating that the guy putting this together would be such a dick about a suggestion, hammer me on how useless it would be, then turn around and do it anyway....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The computer is constantly adjusting boost pressure to meet torque targets. The turbos wouldn't be doing anything different than stock because again, while you're commanding boost, you're moving which means you're not sucking in anything different than stock. You're not going full throttle in the middle of traffic in 100* weather.
2013 MKS EcoBoost: Osram LED interior and license plate lights, stock otherwise.

StealBlueSho

Agreed, I poorly worded the point I was trying to make...

10 psi is 10 psi on a particular turbo...But 10psi of hot air is not near as oxygen dense as cooler air. Thus why you see people having fuel pressure issues during the winter months and not the warmer months. More oxygen requires more fuel.

What I should have said was that in order to achieve the same power production that you get with colder air you will need more volume of the hotter air.

You can debate 9 ways to Sunday on whether you should be more concerned with or not with the IC being the real issue here with the heatsoak issues vs the pre turbo intake system....

However, being as we don't have an aftermarket readily available intercooler to help yet, it would be beneficial to keep the air coming into the turbo from intake system as cool as possible to assist in anyway...

Hot air hitting the compressor when it can be avoided is never as effective as getting fresh cool air.

But again... this is a moot point because they are now developing a box to help insulate the filter from the rest of the engine bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NITSOOB

I think a heat shield only helps slightly.  There's a reason why many modded cars put the turbo out in front of the bumper, or manufacturers go to great lengths to draw ambient air.
2013 PP SHO - 3.5" DPs, 3.5" Exhaust, 3" Coldside
Pending: 5-Blade billet wheel, AJP Tune
1/8: 8.4@86