• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

sell or trade?

Started by A 01 Badger, August 07, 2018, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A 01 Badger

I'm thinking about selling the SHO (2013 w/PP, 85,000 miles).  My new job has me spending alot of time in NYC and something smaller and that I care less about dings and scratches would be useful for getting around and parking.  Anyway, I test drove a Focus ST which I really liked, however the dealer would only give me $12,500 for the SHO.  Obviously, he didn't care about any of the upgrades.  What's everyone's opinion on trying to sell it outright to someone who would appreciate the upgrades (meaning willing to pay for them) vs returning it to stock for a trade and selling the upgrades on the side. 

Upgrades that I could easily remove and resell - MDesign CAI, LMS Tuner(not sure on reset cost for new vehicle), 18" wheels with Blizzack snow tires (roughly 15K miles), 3bar MAP sensor, weathertech floor liners (Front, rear, trunk)

Upgrades I could not easily remove (either because I would have to buy OEM parts, or because it would be a PIA and not worth it).- New 20" Yokohoma tires on the factory rims, New slotted/cross drilled brakes, NGK Iridium plugs, wiring for sub in trunk, tinted windows all around, new MSD coils.

I may list it on here to see if anyone would be interested but there are some pretty good deals floating around on the Focus right now so I don't want to wait long.

Thanks

Sold - 2013 SHO w/ PP LMS 93 Tune, 3 Bar, NGK Iridium Plugs, MDesign CAI,  30% tint

2018 XSport - AJP Turbo tune, Steeda Rear Sway Bar and Rear Trailing Arms

2011 Audi S4 mt6 - EPL Stage 2 tune, Injen intake, EPL supercharger pulley, RDX Billet trans mount, ECS sub frame inserts, JXB Performance Short Throw shift kit.

FoMoCoSHO

Maybe keep your tuner?

I suspect LME does ST tunes as well.

A 01 Badger

Thought about that.  My wife's daily driver is an XSport as well so we could use it there too.  But I would rather sell the SHO as a whole package if I could get around 15,500.
Sold - 2013 SHO w/ PP LMS 93 Tune, 3 Bar, NGK Iridium Plugs, MDesign CAI,  30% tint

2011 Audi S4 mt6 - EPL Stage 2 tune, Injen intake, EPL supercharger pulley, RDX Billet trans mount, ECS sub frame inserts, JXB Performance Short Throw shift kit.

Blackhawk

Even selling private party you aren't going to get a whole lot for your addons.  You might be able to get 1500 bucks if you parted out your, intake, tuner, map, wheels , mats and coils used.

Car has to have tires, plugs, and brakes so no money there. Audio and tint aren't going to get you much of anything.

SHOdded

Take your mods off to sell separately.  Carmax gives best value from what i hear.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

A 01 Badger

Was that a joke SHOdded?  I've tried to sell to CarMax on several occasions, I was never offered even close to blue book.  I would say on average 20% less than what I could get selling or trading it.  Maybe that was just my experience in the midwest but it's happened to me in both Chicago and Milwaukee. 

Lincoln LS offered 5,500 sold it privately for 8,000
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - offered 1250 traded it for 2,500
Lexus RX350 - offered 14,500 traded it for 19,000
Chevy Cobalt - offered 800 sold privately for 1,800

Obviously, with the trades, the dealership can play games with numbers, but I always got the new vehicle for a good price and still did better on the trade than selling to CarMax.  Only advantage I can see is a quick sale with no hassle if you need to dump a vehicle.

SHOdded

No joke.  Wouldnt know about your negotiations with Carmax, but was passing on people's past experiences.  Private sale may be the way to go, but could take a while.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Vortech347

Always remove any aftermarket items and re-sell when you sell your car.  Never leave them on the car you get maybe 5 cents on the dollar back.  When I sell mine I will be removing the TSW wheels and selling them separate.

Banks use NADA data to value your trade in and gauge what amount to limit your loan to.  Taurii have taken a huge hit in the used market.  I regret deeply not just getting an Explorer Sport.  They have held much better.  There's a reason Ford is killing them.  The demand is super low for sedans.

That being said, if you want to sell your MD let me know.... If I don't get a response back from the one I ordered I'm canceling it soon.

Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

Blackhawk

I've always gotten good money from Carmax compared to dealer trade in.

shoNoff

Dealer will usually take you for a ride on a trade. One ford dealer tried giving me 1500 for my Acura TL type s on a trade. I just sold the car a few weeks ago for $7500 and I gave it away at that.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

Leadfoot

$12,500 isn't too bad. In the process of trading mine in for a fully loaded 18 white SHO for $39K, got 11K for my 13 with 110K miles, a sloppy trans, "sand blasted" front end (rock chips), rust starting to form on the hood where the air intake to the air filter is, and one turbo going bad. Pick it up August 18th.
I'm pulling off the hot pipes, down pipes and tune to put back on the 18.  :biggrin:
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

Izzybird

These things are like a RV, the instant you drive it across the property line of the dealership it loses half its value. My salesman walked back in his office and told me to sell it outright and come back to see him, said he wasn't comfortable sharing the trade in figure he was delivered. I pried it out of him, $16k for a 2015 w/ 50k miles. Heck, outright I'd be lucky to get $19k. If I pick up a '18 it certainly won't be brand new, not when a demo with 8k on it is another 10 grand off.
Wife's '15 SHO non PP