• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Bad/clogged nozzle?

Started by TopherSho, August 04, 2018, 01:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

How does one clean a potentially clogged nozzle?   my 440 Devils own nozzle @ 300psi *should* be putting out +/- 600 ml of meth yet my STFT is only hitting .91  .. where as my 375ml nozzle from SNOW was hitting .80 STFT and dropping temps like a rock.

The pumps good,  when i blew up a elbow there was meth EVERYWHERE,  so i think im good there.  And the lines are good.. the only thing different is the 16psi check valve and the 440 nozzle.

so im thinking nozzle.  but how does one clean one?   clearly i will pull it and swap in the 375ml nozzle and test,  but if the STFT drops back to old values then what?

can i use compressed air?  carb cleaner to blast into the nipple?  ... thoughts??

is there a solvent that would be 'safe' ?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

I think its a safer alternative to use an air dryer IIRC!  Z

https://www.chemicalprocessing.com/articles/2003/167/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Are you using 100% methanol?  Reliable source, not stored too long, and correctly stored?  Sure the insides of the lines are not breaking down?  If the lines are big enough, a borescopic inspection might be in order.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Sigh it is the check valve... I did a very unscientific flow test.   I pressed the check valve up to the tip of my bronze spray nozzel on my cranked up hose and the stream of water is about 1/3 the normal water stream from by bronze spray tip uncapped.  I seriously doubt the hose pushed for than 300 pis.

Well that sucks.  my line is split,  so now i need to get all new line to not have the check valve in place.. and get creative with the routing to prevent gravity siphoning my tank.

Le~sigh
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho

I also did a very unscientific test of blowing through the nozzles,  they seemed fine.  both seemed to blow the same amount (#5 snow,  #4 Devils).  btw ... meth residue even after rinsing takes awful.

I will put it back together with the #5 snow nozzle for now until i can get new lines. 

Sigh maybe it is time to go braided. 

EDIT 

hmmmm idea.  the devils own nozzle is two parts screwed together .. wonder if the valve comes out :)  ... ok hair brained idea .. brb ..

TopherSho

YUP!   there is a small sealing ball.. and a spring that's it.  ok i will put this back together and retest...

TopherSho

fyi more background,  my spark has been too high..initially I thought it was the new plugs.  but then my STFT has been 50% off (ie .90 instead of .80) and my meth usage has been really low... too low. so i just looked at my IAT2 temps last night and they are not dropping fast enough like it was before the swap to the checkvalve and the 440ml devils nozzle.

anyhoo,  methinks the constriction of flow by the checkvalve is the issue .. so I dont have enough hose to just remove the valve so I took the ball and spring out and am now waiting for the e6600 to become solid and retest it.

ZSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on August 04, 2018, 01:10:14 PM
YUP!   there is a small sealing ball.. and a spring that's it.  ok i will put this back together and retest...
There should be a removable filter inside AFAIK! If the Funds are available would upgrade to the braided lines for reassurance purposes!  FWIW I like to sleep @ night not having to worry that one of my lines could be possibly leaking! Safety aspect of things!  Best of luck.  Z

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/49-nozzles

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on August 04, 2018, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on August 04, 2018, 01:10:14 PM
That should be a filter inside AFAIK!   Z

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/49-nozzles

Thanks boss,  the screens on both nozzles are good.  Im about 30 minutes away from testing.  im about 99.5% sure this fixes the STFT,  but puts me BACK into the loosing meth to negative vacuum and gravity. 

SHOdded

Good luck, always a fun read on your troubleshooting, glad I don't have to do it!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on August 04, 2018, 02:06:37 PM
Good luck, always a fun read on your troubleshooting, glad I don't have to do it!

It is all a giant learning experience ;)

And i made a limited run,  no 3rd gear sweep but a 0-90 and i see the STFT down to .71 in livelink, average looks about .76-.78 under hard throttle.

learned : check valves save meth .. but cut flow by a S%%T-ton.  now to ponder how to solve the gravity-negative pressure siphoning. 

TopherSho

Well, looks like I stand corrected. When I broke down the log further I could see that the short term fuel trims were dropping under 80 after letting off the pedal ... with WoT it's only in the 90 still so now I'm thinking it's the pump..

The wife will not be happy with that...

SHOdded

Where there's Snow, there's rain :(

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on August 04, 2018, 06:07:45 PM
Where there's Snow, there's rain :(

**Groan** ... Well it has been 2 years under 100% meth I an disappointed but not at all surprised.  Should have ordered a Alky pump and kept it on standby.. BUT the current pump works just degraded.

SHOdded

2 years IS pretty good!  Really, 2 years passed already?