• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Found a bad turbo

Started by shoNoff, August 02, 2018, 11:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoNoff

Well a few days ago I was putting on my down pipes. While doing this I decided to check the turbos for leaking and what not. Great news neither is leaking bad news the front turbo or left side as they call it doesn't spin to freely. So either I or the previous owner put a hurting on it. I looked in there the best I could and I didnt see any marks on the wheel or housing. I pulled the intake tube and didn't see any marks on the compressor wheel either. I basically know I'm on borrowed time. So it's time to replace the turbos. And after kicking around all options and what not I've decided to just replace them with stock turbos and most likely do it myself. So I've come up with a list of parts is there anything that anyone thinks I'm missing? I want to place my order tomorrow so I can get this done ASAP. Also any tips from anyone that's done this before would be great.

Aa5z-6k682-e turbo
AA5Z-6k682-f turbo
Aa5z-9448-a gasket
Aa5z-9u468-e water tube
Aa5z-8a505-f inlet tube
Gb5z-9t515-b oil tube/2
Gb5z-9t516-a oil pipe
Aa5z-9450-c gasket
Gb5z-9g440-a oil pipe.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

Well just put my order in at tasca. I seriously order just about everything on the turbo page from them. I didn't think it was horrrible actually $1350 for both turbos and all coolant and oil lines. Now on the the fun of replacing them next week.

ToMang07

Quote from: shoNoff on August 03, 2018, 01:39:26 PM
Well just put my order in at tasca. I seriously order just about everything on the turbo page from them. I didn't think it was horrrible actually $1350 for both turbos and all coolant and oil lines. Now on the the fun of replacing them next week.

That's not terrible, but at that point I think I would have upgraded. JMO.
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

SHOdded

Good luck with the project!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

Quote from: ToMang07 on August 03, 2018, 02:22:40 PM

I looked at every option. And I wanted to replace everything. So it's roughly $550 in oil and coolant lines and other gaskets and what not. The turbos were only $400 each. It would have cost me over 3k to do it with atp's being the turbos alone are $2500. With it being my daily driver I don't have the time to build the upgraded CHRA from ecopower. Plus without the proper fueling and other things I really don't see the need to upgrade the turbos. It's my daily driver and a 4500lb sedan id rather take the $1800 I saved and dump it into my next fox body project.

2010Limited

Quote from: shoNoff on August 03, 2018, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: ToMang07 on August 03, 2018, 02:22:40 PM

I looked at every option. And I wanted to replace everything. So it's roughly $550 in oil and coolant lines and other gaskets and what not. The turbos were only $400 each. It would have cost me over 3k to do it with atp's being the turbos alone are $2500. With it being my daily driver I don't have the time to build the upgraded CHRA from ecopower. Plus without the proper fueling and other things I really don't see the need to upgrade the turbos. It's my daily driver and a 4500lb sedan id rather take the $1800 I saved and dump it into my next fox body project.

$400 per turbo? You have to send them the cores right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoNoff

Yes correct they have a $250 core charge each on them. After the core return they will cost me $389 each roughly.

shoNoff

Well delivery from tasca showed up Friday. I think I got everything going to tackle the install hopefully this week sometime.

SHOdded

enjoy how clean & shiny they look :D

DstryEvrytng

15 SHO/pp, bone stock besides the "idiot driver" mod.

shoNoff

Quote from: DstryEvrytng on August 12, 2018, 11:58:12 PM
White bear lake, formerly Tousley ford has the turbos for $3 less.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-turbocharger-aa5z6k682e/?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz10dXJib2NoYXJnZXItYW5kLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmaT1LRDA5MjA0NSZyPTEmYT1mb3JkJm89dGF1cnVzJnk9MjAxNSZ0PXNobyZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

Not that $3 matters but ive bought most all my parts for my old diesels from them. They have great prices and shipping.

Edit = i just found this place. Best price currently.
https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/ford-turbocharger-aa5z6k682e?c=Zz1mdWVsLXN5c3RlbSZzPXR1cmJvLWNoYXJnZXImYT1mb3JkJm89dGF1cnVzJnk9MjAxNSZ0PXNobyZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

I can give you a few reasons why I ordered from Tasca. First yes the turbos were a few dollars cheaper at some places. But once you factored in all gaskets and lines Tasca was always within a few dollars of everyone else. Second I live roughly 2 hours from Tasca, so any problems with order or returning a core I can drive it down vs paying shipping back. Third the shipping, once shipping was factored in no one could beat Tasca as they were roughly half the shipping since Im semi local. Now the final and most important reason. Doing what I do for a living I get a discount at Tasca ford. So I actually only paid just under $400 a turbo.

SHOdded

Nice. Good reasons 1 and all.

Scott4957

Awesome, good luck. I wonder if one of those upgrade services would have been an option where they install a different compressor wheel? I think they send it to you and you give them the cores, not sure if they would take them in that condition but given what they do with them I don't see why not.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

shoNoff

Ive kicked around the billet wheel upgrade for a few weeks. I just can't find any real world results on them. I was going to have the exhaust side ported and use the billet wheels. But I'm not wasting the money until I can see some actual results.