• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ignition tune up items

Started by talldude42, August 02, 2018, 03:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talldude42

I remember seeing a thread somewhere but cant seem to find it anymore. Just like it says im doing an ignition tune up and was wondering what brand of coil packs and plugs you would recommend? I was planning on the iridium plugs but there are many different brands. if it makes any difference I will be planning on a tune and possibly water meth with a small nozzle sometime in the future.
2014 Flex. Stock for now.....

SHOdded

Tune up?  What is this you speak of LOL.

Most people stick with motorcraft sp534, if they want 1 range colder, sp542.  NGK is another option.

The only alternative COPs that I know of are the MSDs.  Not sure Accel makes any, would go with MSD anyway.  Typically OEM coils do not fail, be a good idea to replace the boots at the very least.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

talldude42

the dealership replaced 1 before i purchased the vehicle because of a misfire code. I can get boots and springs from the store for $5 and the motorcraft iridium plugs for around $8. 

Thanks for the info!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ToMang07

I have the MSD coils on mine w/ cold plugs, runs excellent.
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

ToMang07

~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

talldude42

Quote from: ToMang07 on August 03, 2018, 09:04:31 AM
I have the MSD coils on mine w/ cold plugs, runs excellent.

The colder motorcraft plugs?

Im coming from the diesel world, i havent really messed around with trying to improve on turbocharged gas engines. So what is meant by colder plugs? Also what spark gap is recommended for them?

I know the article called out a 0.028 and from what ive read elsewhere stock is like 0.032 or 0.035

ToMang07

Here's a good read on plug temps.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2011/05/understanding-spark-plug-heat-range/

I'm currently running the NGKs Unleashed recommends, IIRC gaped at .028 or .030. (I'd have to check the paperwork.)

Coming from a dinosaur diesel myself....been doing A LOT of reading and research.
~Tom~

SHOdded

No need to run colder plugs stock.  Even tuned, really only need them ehen you start getting into the upper power ranges.  Always consult with tuner to decide.

talldude42

Quote from: ToMang07 on August 03, 2018, 04:21:21 PM
Here's a good read on plug temps.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2011/05/understanding-spark-plug-heat-range/

I'm currently running the NGKs Unleashed recommends, IIRC gaped at .028 or .030. (I'd have to check the paperwork.)

Coming from a dinosaur diesel myself....been doing A LOT of reading and research.

Thanks for the articles I appreciate it! That's what I needed to know!

talldude42

The boots looked like they were almost new. Put so dielectric grease in them and reused. The plugs looked pretty used up. Gap on old ranges from .035 to .047.

Store didnt have any motorcraft iridium plugs so I went with the ngk and gapped them at .030

I'll probably switch out to the msd coil packs when I get the tune. Sound bout right?

SHOdded