• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

California Duster

Started by StealBlueSho, August 01, 2018, 09:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Anyone use this? My SHO spends a lot of time in the garage and gets dusty.... wonder if it's worth it? Does it leave swirls?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Probably better to use a detail spray and wipe down with a quality microfiber cloth.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

I have one and use it on my Conti and Mustang occasionally.    I only use it when my cars have a pretty fresh coat of wax on them and are nice and slippery.   Also, I use a pretty light touch and shake the dust off it after doing a few swipes.   I have seen no adverse effects and it does remove the dust.

ZSHO

I have used the Good ole famous Cali Duster on my fleet of vehicles in the past with minimal results....It does a descent job to quickly remove any dust that has accumulated over time inside the garage only!
I found it beneficial to shake the duster side to side frequently to remove any excess dust buildup!

I would Not use it especially if the vehicle was driven which ultimately will spread the dirt and ruin the overall integrity of the paint and more!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Gjkrisa

California dusters are made for garage queens you are only to lightly touch the tips of the hairs on the paint.
You can use a microfiber cloth to but having a handle makes it much easier.

There was a time I could use one of these on my black Ford focus even when it was not a garage queen and California dusters worked great for daily dusting untill it rained then I used mequires quick detailer before turtle wax ice came out now that's what I use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

bpd1151

I used to see these dusters being used often at various car shows over the years.

Especially when they were all the rage/craze when they 1st came out.

But most of those very same owners I heard from later on, said that they were NOT using them any longer, due to the resulting damage done to their finishes.

Now I can't readily say if that was due to user error, or the product itself. Suffice to say that nowadays, I very rarely see them in use.

Make your own deduction based upon that.

ZSHO

I have not used it on the SHO but based on my personal experience,this Duster has been out for such a long time which made room for better & safer options such as the microfiber cloths which are less harsh on paint and a better safer alternative as other's have mentioned ^^^ Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

mval

Quote from: bpd1151 on August 01, 2018, 10:45:43 AM
I used to see these dusters being used often at various car shows over the years.

Especially when they were all the rage/craze when they 1st came out.

But most of those very same owners I heard from later on, said that they were NOT using them any longer, due to the resulting damage done to their finishes.

Now I can't readily say if that was due to user error, or the product itself. Suffice to say that nowadays, I very rarely see them in use.

Make your own deduction based upon that.

i agree with mike. i take my sho to lots of shows & very rarely see them used anymore. the one that really bothers me is one of our club members has new version boss 302 leguna seca, real rare gray with orange trim & he uses one & does his whole car never shaking it out. almost hurts me to watch but he's a know it all so i have to hold my tongue.
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

Vortech347

If you have a wrapped car they are fantastic.  Actual clear coat? HELL NO....
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

StinkinLinkin13

It works wonders down here during pollen season. Obviously the better your paint is maintained (wax etc).. the better it works. I would wash my car and have a thin yellow coat of pollen before the sun even went down. Only time I really use it but it beats the heck out if washing and drying DAILY during that time of year. Shake it out often use very light pressure and it'll be fine. My paint is black and never had swirls or marks because of it and I'm pretty particular/meticulous about my paint care.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

StealBlueSho

Thank you all for the input! I have been using this to do a quick "wash" of the car when its just pollen/dust from the garage.. works really well but its a bit time consuming... very happy with this product as it leaves the paint feeling freshly waxed and wet looking. I also use it after every wash just for the light layer of wax it provides to help protect it...

I was thinking the duster would be a faster easier way to just get the dust off but being as my car has NO swirls marks in it I am very unsure about dry rub products (I am sure BPD1151 would have lots of input on that... bwhahaha)

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g3626-ultimate-wash-and-wax-anywhere/

bpd1151

Lol @ BJ.

You miss me. Dry or Wet.

I can tell.

mjhpadi

Oh My Gosh!!! DO NOT get a Cali Duster, it leaves wax marks and will scratch the finish.  The best stuff I have found is Adam's Quick Detail Spray and one of Adam's double soft Microfibers.  I buy the detail spray by the gallon and Steal, you are welcome to try both the spray and the microfiber next time we get together. 
I am a giant fan of Adam's Polishes but Mikey doesn't like them because they smell too girly for him...but all their stuff works great and leaves a super finish!

PS...and we do know that Mike is partial to that manly man smell....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

Brucelinc

I am not 100% sure but I don't think Mark is a fan of the California duster. 

bpd1151

Lol @ mjhpadi...... remind me next time we room together to drop some manly smell into the room for 'ya. You know, what's sharing if you can't amongst friends?

And Bruce, yea Mark's opinions are rather ambiguous for sure!

:nut: