• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 Taurus SHO TT Replacement in Garage

Started by SierraTBD, July 30, 2018, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraTBD

Well hopefully it helps as much as it did with the PTU as it does with this rear turbo. Feels like over engineering........

shoNoff

I can tell you I just did this same job last week. We dropped the cradle but I was also at a shop on a lift. Pulling made getting the turbos out 100 times easier. No room to get that rear turbo out period.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

SierraTBD

Quote from: shoNoff on September 02, 2018, 10:25:57 PM
I can tell you I just did this same job last week. We dropped the cradle but I was also at a shop on a lift. Pulling made getting the turbos out 100 times easier. No room to get that rear turbo out period.

That just seems like such overkill considering. I can only imagine the laundry list that needs to be done to drop that subframe..

shoNoff

Yea on your back I agree. But honestly I got to look at everything. And we replaced every oil and coolant line. Made doing the job 100 times easier. But we also decided from the get go to drop the entire thing. To be honest I bet it didn't take much longer on a lift dropping the subframe

SierraTBD

Quote from: shoNoff on September 02, 2018, 10:47:40 PM
Yea on your back I agree. But honestly I got to look at everything. And we replaced every oil and coolant line. Made doing the job 100 times easier. But we also decided from the get go to drop the entire thing. To be honest I bet it didn't take much longer on a lift dropping the subframe

Brakes, steering, suspension, electrical, cooling, and everything in between. Definitely not worth all that..

shoNoff

Entire job took us 9/10 hours. Ford pays 10.5 flat rate. 

SierraTBD

Quote from: shoNoff on September 02, 2018, 10:58:38 PM
Entire job took us 9/10 hours. Ford pays 10.5 flat rate.

Feeling much better today, was able to gain clear access to all three turbo mounting bolts and oil feed from the top. After rotating the engine and removing the factory engine lift point everything opened up. Just need a longer impact extension (10") and longer impact T45 from HF and will be all set. Lots of heat and penetrating coming fluid this week. Now to enjoy the holiday..

SierraTBD

shoNoff

Awesome good work man. That has to be a bear to do on your back.

SierraTBD

Quote from: shoNoff on September 07, 2018, 01:16:35 PM
Awesome good work man. That has to be a bear to do on your back.

The oil feed and exhaust bolts were the worst from the top side. Altogether removed the majority of the intake, EGR (I think?), shock mount cross over bracket, and loosened wiper cowl (couldn't get the wiper arms to come off ironically). On the underside I removed the front dog bone completely, loosened up the rear and pulled forward with a ratchet strap. Worked like a dream and I give all credit to glock-coma for that. Obviously drained the oil and removed the oil filter.

My question is now what other maintenance should be done? Should I look at potential fluid buildup in the intercooler or changing PTU fluid? Any advice much appreciated as always. Not my vehicle but would rather address the other areas now rather than later.

Spyder3000gtvr4

I just swapped out my turbos as well over the last few days. I pulled the axle instead of dropping the frame. I changed all the fluids ptu, rear, rad, oil. I have my own issues upon completion. Did it all on my back (have a tube chassis on my car lift)
Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

Spyder3000gtvr4

Also not an expert here this is advice I received on my tread check your intercooler for buildup, that's tomorrows project I also cleaned all oil from tubings
Kik: Spyder3000gtvr4

Got my Sho deciding to make it a DD or use it for my tube chassis build :)

SHOdded

def PTU and intercooler.  But also regular checks for pooling oil in the turbo tract.  Might want to replace the PCV Valve assembly also as it is available as a separate part.  Use only a quality, low volatility full synthetic engine oil, especially if you see anything more than misting in the tract at any time.  While it is not a "fix", it at least is a major assist.  A catchcan from JLT or RXP might also be on the table in that case.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

4sfed

Quote from: SierraTBD on September 01, 2018, 07:34:59 PM
So when was someone going to tell me these are water-cooled turbo bearings?!!?

Seriously?  THAT could make a cooler thermostat more important.
2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SHOdded

Only if the fans are programmed to take advantage.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!