• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 Taurus SHO TT Replacement in Garage

Started by SierraTBD, July 30, 2018, 11:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraTBD

I'm very confident I can replace both turbos in my garage but just wanted some encouragement (hopefully). I know the rear sub-frame will need to be lowered slightly if I can't find patience. What else should I expect? Thank you and much appreciated!

geophb

I cant comment on the rear turbo but I did the front one. simple hand tools. I pulled bumper, fans, rad/intercooler(comes out as one) then there was all kinds of room -> way easier than it sounds lol. But you may only need to pull fans. Don't over bend the flex joint on the downpipes cuz they will break.

New turbo did not have mounting brackets, updated design?. seems like alot of stress on a sheet metal manifold?
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

StealBlueSho

Quote from: geophb on July 30, 2018, 11:58:16 AM
I cant comment on the rear turbo but I did the front one. simple hand tools. I pulled bumper, fans, rad/intercooler(comes out as one) then there was all kinds of room -> way easier than it sounds lol. But you may only need to pull fans. Don't over bend the flex joint on the downpipes cuz they will break.

New turbo did not have mounting brackets, updated design?. seems like alot of stress on a sheet metal manifold?

Yes, they updated the design and the newer turbos don't have mouting brackets... the cast iron manifolds will hold them fine.

geophb

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 30, 2018, 12:16:27 PM
Quote from: geophb on July 30, 2018, 11:58:16 AM

Yes, they updated the design and the newer turbos don't have mouting brackets... the cast iron manifolds will hold them fine.

I honestly don't think there cast, which is why i was wondering. It looked like sheetmetal to me
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

bpd1151

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

When I replaced my ptu it also called to lower the sub frame for removal. 

I just removed the lower front engine
Mount(dog bone ) and used a ratchet strap to pull the engine forward towards the radiator.

This is the bracket, you can see the bolt compared to where it's supposed to mount.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on July 30, 2018, 02:16:49 PM
Throwdown with Mike K.  Now playing.

Negative...they feel like cast iron to me so I just assumed they were along with the rough exterior and rusting... but I defer to Mikes post.. Stainless Steel/Steel it is... lol

bpd1151

You know what they say when one ASSumes there BJ.

LOL. ****Snickers.

Love you dumpling.

6500rpm

Sooo, are there two different exhaust manifold designs? I seem to recall some reports of the inner wall on the design that Mike has pictured may be prone to degrading/flaking and taking the turbo's out. If that's true it might be worth taking a good look any time you're in that area of the engine.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SierraTBD

First of all, thank you to everyone who replied :notworthy:  I am new to the Ecoboost world coming from the diesel community. Belonging to DieselPlace.com I certainly appreciate the wisdom that exists in members of forums like this one.

Sounds like the rear does not need much more clearance to be removed.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 30, 2018, 04:56:10 PM
You know what they say when one ASSumes there BJ.

LOL. ****Snickers.

Love you dumpling.

Ha! Just to throw some oil in the mix (can't make dumplings without it) this article... which is fantastic also had LME calling out the manifolds as cast-iron....

https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-stories/engine/ecoboost-build-600-plus-horsepower-from-a-livernois-built-3-5-v6/

Wonder if that is your motor in the article?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SierraTBD on July 30, 2018, 09:13:58 PM
First of all, thank you to everyone who replied :notworthy:  I am new to the Ecoboost world coming from the diesel community. Belonging to DieselPlace.com I certainly appreciate the wisdom that exists in members of forums like this one.

The front is reported as easy. The rear is a PIA from those that have done it from a creeper...

SHOdded

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 30, 2018, 10:57:07 PM
Ha! Just to throw some oil in the mix (can't make dumplings without it) this article... which is fantastic also had LME calling out the manifolds as cast-iron....

https://www.fordnxt.com/tech-stories/engine/ecoboost-build-600-plus-horsepower-from-a-livernois-built-3-5-v6/

Wonder if that is your motor in the article?
This would be correct in an F150 application.  Their manifolds are different from the transverse applications.
https://www.brewcityboost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/crp-manifolds-2011-2012.pdf
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SierraTBD

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 30, 2018, 10:58:17 PM
Quote from: SierraTBD on July 30, 2018, 09:13:58 PM

The front is reported as easy. The rear is a PIA from those that have done it from a creeper...

A PIA for sure but definitely still doable right?