• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Key fob does not work, however car recognizes it to start the engine.

Started by lattyd, July 29, 2018, 04:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lattyd

Wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me with this issue.

My car does not respond to any buttons being pressed on the Key Fob. I have not however had ANY issues with it recognizing the key for starting the car. Here are the items I've checked / changed:

1) Replaced Key fob battery.
2) Disassembled and cleaned fob contact points
3) Disconnected battery for 5+ min to allow the system to reset (it reset all the radio functions, let me know if this should be done longer.
4) Tested the RA at an AutoZone (Not sure how accurate this is but it appears to be sending a signal).
5) Checked all fuses that are listed as IA (Intelligent Access)

*note, new car battery installed about 3 months ago as well. No other electric / electronic issues.

Car does not prime the fuel pump when opening doors (which are always unlocked now). But I noticed that if I left the car unlocked for a period of time in the past, and opened one of the doors, I would hear the pump kick on.

Unfortunately, I do not have a second FOB. Car did not have a second key when I purchased it 3 years ago.

Thanks and appreciate any assistance.
Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

ZSHO

Try this!  I hope you do not need to get it reprogrammed @ the Ford Dealer!

Ignition OFF

Ignition ON

Ignition OFF

Press any Button on the IKT! 

BTW does it function while inside the slot by arm rest or glove box!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lattyd

I'll give it a shot Z. Now when you say Ignition Off & ON, you mean to start the car? Or just press the button without putting my foot on the brake?

I'll try it in the glovebox as well. It recognizes it enough for it to start the car with it in my pocket though... just wont lock / unlock / pop trunk / sound panic alarm.
Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

ZSHO

Quote from: lattyd on July 29, 2018, 05:36:35 PM
I'll give it a shot Z. Now when you say Ignition Off & ON, you mean to start the car? Or just press the button without putting my foot on the brake?

I'll try it in the glovebox as well. It recognizes it enough for it to start the car with it in my pocket though... just wont lock / unlock / pop trunk / sound panic alarm.
Don't start the car! Ignition OFF,ON,OFF & then Press any button on key fob.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lattyd

No luck following those instructions. Tried it with and without door open, as well as well as using the quick button press & longer button press for the ignition.

I did throw the fob in the console slot for "no-key found" starting.... no change either, still no response when pressing any button on the fob.

geophb

Since the car recognizes the key to start, the battery in fob must work. Im thinking either the fob is bad or some module is bad in the car (probly related to the fuel pump not priming). Maybe try leaving battery disconnected over night with a jumper between the wires to ground out the system before going all in. :dunno:
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune

ToMang07

Quote from: geophb on July 30, 2018, 09:12:57 AM
Since the car recognizes the key to start, the battery in fob must work. Im thinking either the fob is bad or some module is bad in the car (probly related to the fuel pump not priming). Maybe try leaving battery disconnected over night with a jumper between the wires to ground out the system before going all in. :dunno:

With your foot OFF the brake, you have to hit the start button 2x to turn the ignition on.
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

ZSHO

@- lattyd Did you remove BOTH POSITIVE and GROUND Terminals for @ least 30 minutes!
BTW I just wanted to confirm that (accessory mode) is ONE Tap on the push button start compared to TWO Taps which is required for (Ignition mode).
I was curious if the Courtesy lamp circuit is activated! Best of luck.  Z

lattyd

Ahh, clearly I wasn't doing that correctly haha. I'll try it again on my lunch break.

Also, I wasn't able to leave it disconnected that long before i had to make a trip out. I'll see if i have an 8mm wrench in the car and see if i can disconnect it on lunch as well.

Thanks guys, i'll report back with my findings.

ZSHO

Quote from: lattyd on July 30, 2018, 12:49:43 PM
Ahh, clearly I wasn't doing that correctly haha. I'll try it again on my lunch break.

Also, I wasn't able to leave it disconnected that long before i had to make a trip out. I'll see if i have an 8mm wrench in the car and see if i can disconnect it on lunch as well.

Thanks guys, i'll report back with my findings.
Fingers crossed for ya bud! BTW 10mm socket!  Z

lattyd

So I just popped out to the car before my 1pm conference call... . Pressing the button twice doesn't seem to do anything. I see the gauges light (like its in the regular "on" mode) and then the second press just turns them off. I did try to press buttons on the FoB after following the procedure anyway but no luck. Is it possible its different for the 2011?

I did have my ratcheting wrench which had 8mm & 10mm.... but my battery terminals are 8mm! Wonder why mine would be different there?

Either way, battery is disconnected and I'll leave it as such until 5pm.

ToMang07

Unless the older ones were different, mine you have to press the button once for accessory power, then again for ignition. Are you just punching 2x in a row, or giving it a couple seconds in between?
~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

lattyd

Tried it both ways. Pressing twice quickly and twice with a couple second delay between.

ZSHO

lattyd

Still no luck... and it looks like these dumb things are not cheap! Dealer quoting over $160 per key lol

Going to see if I can dig up genuine ford one on the interwebs for a better price.

Thanks for all your help guys!