• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Preventative Maintenance

Started by Grahampr, July 26, 2018, 12:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahampr

I have a couple posts on here already, but I will be having a used engine installed in my MKT in the next couple weeks.  I already plan on replacing the timing chain, guides, and the water pump.  Looking into rebuilding the turbos or replacing outright as well.

What else should I look at replacing before the new/used engine is installed?  Was thinking alternator as that looks like it'll be a pain to get to as well, along with the accessory belt and tensioner.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
2011 Lincoln MKT Ecoboost

SHOdded

Spark plugs and coil boots.  Check all hoses for cracks or clamps letting loose.  Replace the vct solenoids too while you have it out.  Pull and clean out the intercooler.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Grahampr

Sounds good.  I'm also planning on putting a catch can in very soon after I get it back.  Any recommendations on brand?  Was looking at the UPR. As to the intercooler, i will not be there when the engine is out, is that fairly easy to get to without taking the engine out, or pretty hard?

Thanks for the info!

SHOdded

You do have to remove the radiator when removing the intercooler.  So makes sense to do it with the engine out.  If you see no pooling crud in there tho (check per HOW TO thread), the catch can may or may not help with the new engine.  I believe most are running the UPR or JLT setup, if not the Rx.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mjhpadi

I would not put the catch can high on the to do list...Ford says they really aren't needed but that they don't hurt. There are other things I would put ahead of the catch can...like having the used oil out of the new engine analysed by Blackstone Labs, it can tell you a lot about what is going on in the new engine.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

StealBlueSho

Quote from: mjhpadi on July 28, 2018, 10:40:33 PM
I would not put the catch can high on the to do list...Ford says they really aren't needed but that they don't hurt. There are other things I would put ahead of the catch can...like having the used oil out of the new engine analysed by Blackstone Labs, it can tell you a lot about what is going on in the new engine.

I know Ford says its not needed... but people do pull a lot of junk out of them though...

ZSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 30, 2018, 10:32:34 AM

I know Ford says its not needed... but people do pull a lot of junk out of them though...
It sounds like Ford does not believe in Blow by! But yet the CAC (intercooler) gets pooled with Oil buildup & the elements plus the Oil Sep PCV System Failing prematurely is a bit concerning IMO! Dunno!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on July 30, 2018, 10:58:51 AM

It sounds like Ford does not believe in Blow by! But yet the CAC (intercooler) gets pooled with Oil & the elements! Dunno!  Z

So my thought is they know its an issue as they did redo the PCV setup on the newer ecoboost to help address it. My guess is they don't want people putting catch cans onto their cars because its another maintenance item...

The majority of people can't get their oil changed on time... can you image if you have customers with catch cans over flowing all over the place.. that would be dealership nightmare.

ZSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 30, 2018, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on July 30, 2018, 10:58:51 AM

It sounds like Ford does not believe in Blow by! But yet the CAC (intercooler) gets pooled with Oil & the elements! Dunno!  Z

So my thought is they know its an issue as they did redo the PCV setup on the newer ecoboost to help address it. My guess is they don't want people putting catch cans onto their cars because its another maintenance item...

The majority of people can't get their oil changed on time... can you image if you have customers with catch cans over flowing all over the place.. that would be dealership nightmare.
True indeed! They have made some considerable improvements addressing the issue starting with the 2015MY + PCV System!
I still don't understand why they removed the Heated version PCV system after the 2010MY which was the most effective by date IMO! Dunno! 
FYI- I am in NO terms promoting an OCC or its effectiveness quality,just stating the overall facts that's all!  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Grahampr

I did order the UPR set up, we'll see how that goes but agter looking in the intake of my old engine and seeing all,sorts of oil I didnt want to get the new/used engine in and have issues diwn the road.