• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbos!

Started by Grahampr, July 26, 2018, 12:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grahampr

I am in the process of getting a replacement engine as mine is toast after water pump went out.  More than Likely I'll end up with a used engine and while it is out on an engine stand I am going to do some PM like water pump, timing chains, other gaskets.  As for the turbos, I am trying to not spend too much money, but I also think it would make sense to at least replace the seals in the turbos while I have easy access to them. 

At this point I'm looking for recommendations, whether it makes sense to just replace seals in my stock turbos or rebuild them with better parts, or just outright replace with the ATPs.

Thank you!
2011 Lincoln MKT Ecoboost

SHOdded

If someone sells you better-than-OEM performing seals, go for it.  Otherwise a CHRA upgrade if you want some extra oomph, or best yet, ATP +2 turbos. 

More importantly make sure the oil and coolant feed/return lines are clear of obstructions.  Replace the screens in them at the very least.

Quality full synthetic oil and regular coolant flushes from here on out.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

If you are going to redo the turbos as stated above. Make em better.

Grahampr

That was my thought, since it will never be easier to work on the turbos than when they are sitting on an engine stand.  I've got a call with Mike from Eco Power Parts here this morning, I'll see what he would recommend too.  I really don't want to go to crazy, but I also am wanting to avoid any major future repairs in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback!

Twintrbskies

Curious, if its cool, how many miles did you have before they went out and did you have any signs of it going bad?
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

2010 SHO non-PP, pearl white, Alky Controls Methanol kit-100% meth, tuned with Ortiz Performance, XDI-35, DW300C LPFP, E85, 3-Bar, K&N Drop-In, 160 T-stat, JLT Catch can, Stainless works Catless downpipes, Rear muffler delete with Borla Tips. (not currently using the methanol)

Grahampr

Well turbo seemed fine before all of this, but the car had 105,000.