• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Taurus sho trans upgrade

Started by BigPlaySlay, July 22, 2018, 04:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPlaySlay

Is there any company working on performance upgrades for the 6f55?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpd1151

Not really, no.

There was/is a shift kit type of upgrade which is essentially for the valve body.

Circle D also made a torque converter upgrade, but it netted slower times in the 1/4 (to approx .6 slower) which after re-tuning, only gained back .3

There is an individual who was/is attempting an improved aftermarket driveshaft as well, but has not been having much luck as of his last posting(s).

That's about it in a nutshell.

StealBlueSho

I have personally talked to two shops. NoVA Speed Shop in Manassas, VA and additionally I have spoken to LMS about it as well...

NoVA SS after looking over my car said that it would take time to reverse engineer the Ford setup, figure out which parts are weak, rebuild, attempt to break it, rinse, and repeat. Initial cost was $10K (iirc) on the low end just to start and an open ended time frame... they suggested about a year worth of R&D....

LMS said they would refer me to the transmission shop that built the drive train for their Ecoboost Mustang...but that they were not actively looking into anything on the transmission side.....

From what I understand is that basically the market is too small to get a return on the investment so who ever does it will foot the entire bill with no help from the shops... it would basically be for personal gratification and for a love of the platform.... it would be cheaper to get another platform and start with a setup that has all the parts readily available...

That said... I am hoping to have my car over at LME towards the end of the year (stock market willing!) and will investigate this further...

6500rpm

For those of you putting down big power numbers, what parts failures are you having in the transaxle? If memory serves me correctly, the most common failure we had in the fleet with the 6F50/55 series was related to an aluminum parts shear in the direct clutch hub and associated snap ring. I've read over and over that the transaxle is the weak link but I don't recall anyone stating exactly what part broke. Generally speaking there's not a lot to it. At the minimum I'd like to find out if it's the torque converter, internal transmission hard parts/clutches, or final drive components unless you're breaking the case. While none of it is probably easy or cost effective to remake, if there's known weak points they may be able to be improved on by heat treating/tempering, welding steel internal parts and splined parts. Also plenty of torque converter rebuilders. Can anybody elaborate on what's breaking root cause failure item?

I found an old post that I have pics in over at the SHO forum
https://shoforum.com/index.php?threads/arggggg-dredded-p0756.134215/
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

NITSOOB

The GM version of our transmission is the 6t70-80. Someone was looking into it to possibly swap out the internals as they are rated higher than ours.
2013 PP SHO - 3.5" DPs, 3.5" Exhaust, 3" Coldside
Pending: 5-Blade billet wheel, AJP Tune
1/8: 8.4@86

ToMang07

I wouldn't mind some transmission strengthening upgrades myself,  but it seems it'd be lost in the PTU anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

~Tom~
2013 SHO - Stage 3 Snow Performance Meth, (2) SCT X4 with Unleashed, 3 Bar Map, MSD Ignition Coils w/Colder Plugs 170*TS, EcoPowerParts Hot Pipes & Tial-Q BOV) Stage 3 Motorsports Catless Downpipes 3" Cat-Back Exhaust, JLT Oil Separator, H&R Sport Springs, K&N CAI, Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/EBC Pads

Brucelinc

Quote from: NITSOOB on August 07, 2018, 03:06:33 AM
The GM version of our transmission is the 6t70-80. Someone was looking into it to possibly swap out the internals as they are rated higher than ours.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-transmissions/mhm/

autobahn terror

With that Max torque rating, it is not a viable option. I am already putting down 430 to the road...or dyno rather...
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

autobahn terror

2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

18SHO

Quote from: BigPlaySlay on July 22, 2018, 04:26:31 PM
Is there any company working on performance upgrades for the 6f55?

Yes actually this company sells upgraded 6f55 trannys and except cores

https://spprecision.com/products/6f50-6f55-transmission-sale.html
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

SHOdded

Sonnax has the ZIP kit already, so I wonder what changes to the converter these guys have made.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Moisme33

Pretty cool to see something being offered upgraded trans wise, but I also wonder what parts were upgraded. 

MeanKS

Quote from: ToMang07 on August 07, 2018, 10:08:37 AM
I wouldn't mind some transmission strengthening upgrades myself,  but it seems it'd be lost in the PTU anyway.

why would this be the case?

is because the old Cadillac XTS had more hp than the SHO?

wasn't the XTS the only transversed platform that used GM's 3.6 TT?

thye SHO/MKS was usually faster than the XTS in testing (by like a tenth but still).

Ford also used their 3.5 TTDI in the Explorer, while GM did not use their 3.6TT in their large SUVs.

so i don't see why the GM trans would be the stronger trans necessarily.
MKS-EB...

SM105K

Quote from: MeanKS on February 10, 2019, 02:14:18 AM
Quote from: ToMang07 on August 07, 2018, 10:08:37 AM

why would this be the case?

is because the old Cadillac XTS had more hp than the SHO?

wasn't the XTS the only transversed platform that used GM's 3.6 TT?

thye SHO/MKS was usually faster than the XTS in testing (by like a tenth but still).

Ford also used their 3.5 TTDI in the Explorer, while GM did not use their 3.6TT in their large SUVs.

so i don't see why the GM trans would be the stronger trans necessarily.

It's simple....they aren't stronger.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |