• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Thinking the rear turbo is bad

Started by MKTurbo, July 21, 2018, 11:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKTurbo

Ok so I've got a 2010 Lincoln MKT with 175000 miles on the clock. I'm pretty sure my right hand side turbo has crapped out on me BUT there's no check engine light, smoke coming out of the tails, or any classic sign of what I would assume to be for a turbo failure. What I do have happening is almost no boost building up and when I go past quarter throttle it sounds like the vanes of the back turbo are scraping, almost like it's jammed up. I can still hear what I believe is the front turbo spooling somewhat but that's about it. Has anyone else had similar conditions when a turbo has gone out?
2010 Lincoln MKT
Stock...for now

2010Limited

That's what mine sounded like right before the smoke show. It may be too late but you can try to change out the filter. It's likely clogged. That's what caused mine to fail and my shaft to snap off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

About 6 hrs book time to change the rear/left hand turbo, as lowering that corner of the subframe is required.  Hope there is no metal in the oil.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MKTurbo

I checked the filter and it wasn't completely clogged but was getting there(not a good owner at this point). I cleaned it out and let it dry and re oiled it and then had my wife sit in the driver seat and put it in drive and build up boost so I could sit and listen to it better with the hood up instead of trying to listen to it while driving. With a clearer way of listening it almost sounds like a vacuum under the hood and still not building boost. Almost seems as the recirculation valves aren't opening either
2010 Lincoln MKT
Stock...for now

2010Limited

Quote from: SHOdded on July 21, 2018, 01:24:51 PM
About 6 hrs book time to change the rear/left hand turbo, as lowering that corner of the subframe is required.  Hope there is no metal in the oil.
I did not drop the subframe on my flex. It took some wiggling but it came out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Possible the wastegate actuator has failed.  These are internal to the turbos, and a common failure on the 2.0's.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MKTurbo

So just pulled the tube going from the front turbo to the intercooler and there was about a teaspoon of oil that pulled out of it
2010 Lincoln MKT
Stock...for now

MKTurbo

Started the car and put my hand at the front turbo and there was barely a hot breath and no sound coming from it. Shut the car off put everything back and disconnected the tube coming from the rear turbo to the intercooler and there was a decent amount of air being pushed through
2010 Lincoln MKT
Stock...for now

ZSHO

It could be a plugged or damaged crankcase vent system!
Is your vehicle stock or tuned! If tuned might be beneficial to do some datalogs!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MKTurbo

It's completely stock other than a k&n filter,  I wish I had a way to datalog
2010 Lincoln MKT
Stock...for now

MKTurbo

I'm trying to upload a video of the sound it's making while driving but can't get it to load
2010 Lincoln MKT
Stock...for now

SHOdded

upload to youtube.  not sure imgur allows video.  then share the yt link back here.

MKTurbo

2010 Lincoln MKT
Stock...for now

geophb

Sound like front turbo is bad, from your tests you did. They both should have a little wind coming out at idle.
2010 Taurus SHO 3bar AJPturbo tune