• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Do I NEED a Catch Can?

Started by rmkilc, July 11, 2018, 08:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmkilc

I recently picked up a 2015 Explorer Sport with 85k miles and below are some pictures of a few intake valves. The backsides of the valves themselves look pretty clean to me. The Carfax records show the vehicle was originally purchased from the same dealer I bought it from and all of the service work was done at this same dealer including the oil changes, battery, alignment, brakes, air filter, and even tires. I don't see anything on there about an intake cleaning being done before. I bring up the oil changes because in my mind, if someone doesn't change their own oil, would they even know what a catch can is? Everything was stock when I got it. Any chance these have never been cleaned before? If so, it would seem like a catch can isn't really necessary.

On a side note, when I changed the PTU fluid a few weeks ago, it didn't look bad at all. Nothing like the scary forum threads would lead me to believe. And again, there is nothing about a fluid change or even a PTU replacement amongst the service work on the Carfax.

TASK_FORCE187

Quote from: rmkilc on July 11, 2018, 08:57:53 PM
I recently picked up a 2015 Explorer Sport with 85k miles and below are some pictures of a few intake valves. The backsides of the valves themselves look pretty clean to me. The Carfax records show the vehicle was originally purchased from the same dealer I bought it from and all of the service work was done at this same dealer including the oil changes, battery, alignment, brakes, air filter, and even tires. I don't see anything on there about an intake cleaning being done before. I bring up the oil changes because in my mind, if someone doesn't change their own oil, would they even know what a catch can is? Everything was stock when I got it. Any chance these have never been cleaned before? If so, it would seem like a catch can isn't really necessary.

On a side note, when I changed the PTU fluid a few weeks ago, it didn't look bad at all. Nothing like the scary forum threads would lead me to believe. And again, there is nothing about a fluid change or even a PTU replacement amongst the service work on the Carfax.
Get it cleaned out first.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

I would avoid intake cleaning aka induction type cleaning at this point.  I believe those to be more preventive in nature than curative.  If you want to go clean, have the valves walnut shell blasted.  Alternatively, if you are really patient, work cylinder by cylinder, setting each to TDC, adding some B12 or similarly strong cleaner, letting it soak in overnight, then using a plastic bristle brush to scrub the valves clean, suck out the resulting mess/goo.  Or set up a meth kit to lightly spray into the intake for cleaning purposes - clean as you drive.

A catchcan could help in your case, mount the can in the fenderwell for maximum benefit.  Check and clean out the intercooler periodically as well, it can be a reservoir for all the water/oil/fuel crud that the engine is seeing.  If there is little to no buildup, odds are no catchcan needed.

May even want to change out the PCV valve/separator, those do "fail" over time, cleaning them is at best a bandaid.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

mjhpadi

Ford engineers are pretty blahhh about catch cans...they don't hurt but really don't think they are needed. I would not put it high on my "To Do" list.
However, a BG cleaning of the fuel system is the one thing I would recommend. I am sold on the BG system of cleaning. They have done my fuel system, transmission, PTU, and differential.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

ThePresidential

Quote from: SHOdded on July 12, 2018, 12:42:49 AM
I would avoid intake cleaning aka induction type cleaning at this point.  I believe those to be more preventive in nature than curative.  If you want to go clean, have the valves walnut shell blasted.  Alternatively, if you are really patient, work cylinder by cylinder, setting each to TDC,

How do you manually close the valve shut for each cylinder?
2013 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost | Oil breather | spectre CAI | Needing to install catch cans | 160 thermostat |

Macgyver

Rotate the engine via the crank shaft pulley bolt.