• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New Member - Say Hello to EcoHell

Started by EcoHell, July 11, 2018, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoHell

I completed the YouTube DIY video on the roof rack/rail removal project.  Click below..

https://youtu.be/mJpuzg3lxaA

bpd1151

Quote from: EcoHell on August 19, 2021, 08:34:43 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger and purchased and had installed a Singer High Output Alternator to handle all of my electronic needs in EcoHell.  Anyone else install a High Output alternator in their Sport? 

You get both pulleys and a keychain to boot...HA!
I special ordered a custom one for the next iteration of my SHO.

Waiting to get it, and other new upgrades assembled/installed.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

EcoHell

Quote from: bpd1151 on October 30, 2021, 07:29:20 PM
I special ordered a custom one for the next iteration of my SHO.

Waiting to get it, and other new upgrades assembled/installed.

Isn't it a shame that these alternators cannot be seen when opening the hood?  LOL. 

bpd1151

Right!

Well, at least some (albeit small) portions are viewable.

Its relative positioning isn't conducive to viewing all of it unfortunately. Certainly a disservice in both of our cases.

EcoHell

You know given all the BS Ecohell has given me this year, I was driving to my other residence on Long Island on 11/3/21 and out of nowhere the damn Wrench light comes back on.  Then within seconds of that, the Check Engine light comes on, and both Stability Track lights (lower right of the cluster) come on.  I immediately pull over and was able to park off the 4 lane road I was on. 

Once I pulled over, the information center on the left of the cluster begins chiming and telling me Service AdvanceTrak, Hill Start Assist Not Available, See Owner's Manual, Pre-Collision System Fault, and All Terrain Management System Fault.  I am fuming at this point. 

I contact AAA for a tow.  I tell them I am going to call Ford and see which dealer to bring my vehicle too - this is going to get good.  I contact the nearest Ford Dealership, tell them my dilemma and they tell me they cannot see my vehicle until the middle of December.  They state i should contact the Ford Dealership where I purchased EcoHell.  I then contact that dealership.  They state I cannot bring EcoHell there until November 22nd. 

So here I am in limp mode, definitely not going to drive EcoHell, as 1) I never had this many lights come on before, 2) never before seen some of the messages being displayed and 3) during all of this I was shutting the engine off, opening and closing my door, then restarting EcoHell - within seconds of her starting there is a loud clunking noise coming underneath and the lights and messages began to come on.

What does Ford do?  Sorry, your SOL, until weeks later.  Luckily, my nephew owns a performance shop and happened to call me after I got off the phone with the 2nd Ford Dealership, just to say hi.  I said your ears must be burning because I was just about to contact you.  I tell him my predicament and though he is busy, he says tow EcoHell to his shop. 

I re-contacted AAA and tell them the address of his shop.  About 40 minutes later the tow truck arrives.  I advise the driver that I don't want him driving the vehicle on the flatbed and use the winch.  Then to top all of this BS off, the driver tells me (after he loads EcoHell on the flatbed) that company policy cannot have anyone in the tow vehicle due to Covid.

I then contact wifey who is not happy that she has to pick me up..messing up her schedule.  Tow truck leaves.  I walk across the 4 lane road to a 7-11 store and wait.  She comes, I take her back home and use her car to go to the shop.  Now at this point, I am not bitching as I am driving her 400 odometer mile, Prestige model 2021 Audi S5 Sportback..LOL.

Anyhoot, I get to the shop about 30 minutes later, and see that EcoHell is in a stall about to be lifted.  My nephew is inside reading his god knows how much Snap-On scanner tool and is a little stunned that NO power train codes are shown.  He thinks his scanner isn't working properly.  I grab my INNOVA scanner I keep in EcoHell and scan her.  I get no power train codes as well.  We both receive P0107 or P0109 (cannot remember at this moment - as scanner is in EcoHell as I type), but it is a map sensor code. 

I advise him that this all started with a voltage issue, so could we check the voltage readings for S&Gs.  He reads the battery both off and on.  On, EcoHell is reading 14.8 and 14.9 and never going any lower, so I am not losing any voltage. 

He then goes onto his computer and starts reading a TSB to me..

"Some 2018-2019 Explorer/Flex/Taurus/MKT vehicles equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), powertrain malfunction (wrench) lamp, Service AdvanceTrac message, Hill Start Assist Not Available message, and/or lack of power with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0107, P0108 and/or P0109 present. This may be due to a faulty manifold absolute pressure and temperature (MAPT) sensor. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to diagnose and replace the MAPT sensor."

This is Ford TSB #TSB 19-2183.

Bottomline, I have him order a new 3 bar MAP sensor.  The next morning he receives it, installs it and wouldn't you know it, if fixed the damn problem.

Now imagine if I did not have a nephew owning his own performance shop.  I am curious, besides the waiting period to get EcoHell into the service department at Ford, what Ford would have done...  thoughts?

BTW, I drove EcoHell yesterday about a 100 miles and she drives like nothing ever happened.  She has 47,xxx miles on her, mostly highway miles.

TopherSho

... MAP sensor ... was the map sensor ELECTRICLY bad and grounding out?  WTf ... there has to be more than ''opps bad map''
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

I doubt most Ford techs would have found that TSB and done their due diligence with just an hour of Labor.

EcoHell

Quote from: TopherSho on November 05, 2021, 06:04:15 PM
... MAP sensor ... was the map sensor ELECTRICLY bad and grounding out?  WTf ... there has to be more than ''opps bad map''

You can say WTF and has to be more to it, but if there is a TSB describing what exactly occurred on EcoHell, this has to be happening with others.  I never go online reading TSBs on my vehicles, but will definitely look for them when something goes wrong on my vehicles from this point forward. 

There is a little more to my story, but again to have a TSB on this very issue, I cannot say that "the little more to my story" was the real reason/cause.  It may have pushed my vehicle to have this happen quicker given the age and miles on EcoHell, when others have been going through this issue.. again to have an actual TSB on it...things that make you go hmmmm.. 

So my 'little more to the story" is this.. at 700 miles I began modding EcoHell and purchased the Power Stage 2+ Package (no longer being offered) from LMS.  This included the tune, go fast part and changing the 2 bar MAP sensor with their 3 bar MAP sensor. 

For some reason after the install of their package, I had to return to Ford (I cannot remember why), but it never happened.  We believe one of the mechanics may have swapped the 3 bar MAP sensor back to the 2 bar MAP sensor in preparation to bring her back to stock.  We say this because the part numbers on the other 2 bar MAP Sensor is the same on the one that was supposed to be a 3 bar MAP sensor. 

Being I do not beat on EcoHell, the 2 bar MAP sensor was ok...that is ok until this year.  So with the voltage issue causing my headache in Florida with the "wrench" light could have been co-contributed with this sensor, as well as the PC playing havoc. 

Look at it this way...better to have a $85 sensor than the transmission or a module going bad. 

EcoHell

Quote from: Macgyver on November 05, 2021, 09:24:06 PM
I doubt most Ford techs would have found that TSB and done their due diligence with just an hour of Labor.

I unfortunately agree with you..  I could see, "yeah, your transmission is bad and your modules are bad..blah blah blah.."

I know I get long winded in my write ups, but I would rather others know about something that could happen to your Explorer and have somewhat of a idea of what it could be.. 

ridered74

Quote from: EcoHell on November 06, 2021, 12:21:28 AM
Quote from: Macgyver on November 05, 2021, 09:24:06 PM

I unfortunately agree with you..  I could see, "yeah, your transmission is bad and your modules are bad..blah blah blah.."

I know I get long winded in my write ups, but I would rather others know about something that could happen to your Explorer and have somewhat of a idea of what it could be..

If you had the wrong map sensor it wouldn't even idle correctly, as soon as you start it with wrong map sensor you will know it. It probably just went bad, there were quite a few failures even with the aftermarket ones a year or two ago. Glad you got it fixed cheaply tho, that's the most important part!
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

TopherSho

Quote from: EcoHell on November 06, 2021, 12:15:21 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on November 05, 2021, 06:04:15 PM

You can say WTF and has to be more to it, but if there is a TSB describing what exactly occurred on EcoHell, this has to be happening with others.  I never go online reading TSBs on my vehicles, but will definitely look for them when something goes wrong on my vehicles from this point forward. 

There is a little more to my story, but again to have a TSB on this very issue, I cannot say that "the little more to my story" was the real reason/cause.  It may have pushed my vehicle to have this happen quicker given the age and miles on EcoHell, when others have been going through this issue.. again to have an actual TSB on it...things that make you go hmmmm.. 

So my 'little more to the story" is this.. at 700 miles I began modding EcoHell and purchased the Power Stage 2+ Package (no longer being offered) from LMS.  This included the tune, go fast part and changing the 2 bar MAP sensor with their 3 bar MAP sensor. 

For some reason after the install of their package, I had to return to Ford (I cannot remember why), but it never happened.  We believe one of the mechanics may have swapped the 3 bar MAP sensor back to the 2 bar MAP sensor in preparation to bring her back to stock.  We say this because the part numbers on the other 2 bar MAP Sensor is the same on the one that was supposed to be a 3 bar MAP sensor. 

Being I do not beat on EcoHell, the 2 bar MAP sensor was ok...that is ok until this year.  So with the voltage issue causing my headache in Florida with the "wrench" light could have been co-contributed with this sensor, as well as the PC playing havoc. 

Look at it this way...better to have a $85 sensor than the transmission or a module going bad.

Plot thickens.  You can convert a 2 bar into a 2.5 bar.  Hence the map serial would be the same.  If you replace a ''3bar'' sensor on a  tune ''expecting'' 2.5-bar range or 3-bar range voltages to a 2bar it wont even idle correctly.  and will throw a wrench when you rev it above 2000 rpm..  so i do not think the ford tech replaced it.  it would have thrown codes instantly on the next startup if the tune was looking for a 3-ba5 or 2.5-bar.

In the VERY EARLY days of tuning SHO's modded sensors were fairly common to get from UNLEASHED and LMS.  It should be super mega uncommon to get one now.  I could not find it but there is a topic on it here on the forum .. it dealt with pre-install inspection and the user saw the sensor sent to him by Torrie has the same serial as a 2-bar..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

EcoHell

Quote from: TopherSho on November 07, 2021, 02:41:44 PMPlot thickens.  You can convert a 2 bar into a 2.5 bar.  Hence the map serial would be the same.  If you replace a ''3bar'' sensor on a  tune ''expecting'' 2.5-bar range or 3-bar range voltages to a 2bar it wont even idle correctly.  and will throw a wrench when you rev it above 2000 rpm..  so i do not think the ford tech replaced it.  it would have thrown codes instantly on the next startup if the tune was looking for a 3-ba5 or 2.5-bar.

In the VERY EARLY days of tuning SHO's modded sensors were fairly common to get from UNLEASHED and LMS.  It should be super mega uncommon to get one now.  I could not find it but there is a topic on it here on the forum .. it dealt with pre-install inspection and the user saw the sensor sent to him by Torrie has the same serial as a 2-bar..

I know of a post similar or the same one you mention regarding the part numbers being the same.. I was confused reading that post.  Curious... so even from a start up, idle being idle regardless of tune, From what I understand about MAP sensors, the 2 bar MAP sensor can handle up to 14.7psi, on top of the sea level pressure of 14.7psi, so totaling 29.4psi.  Not sure what my tune is pushing but without beating on it, but perhaps I was not pushing over 29psi. 

So with what you are saying, I would have received codes with a 2 bar installed as opposed to the required 3.bar with my tune.  Interesting.

EcoHell

Quote from: ridered74 on November 06, 2021, 10:55:27 PMIf you had the wrong map sensor it wouldn't even idle correctly, as soon as you start it with wrong map sensor you will know it. It probably just went bad, there were quite a few failures even with the aftermarket ones a year or two ago. Glad you got it fixed cheaply tho, that's the most important part!

Yes, I am very happy and feel I lucked out with how expensive and time consuming this could have turned out.  I have an extra 3 bar MAP Sensor in EcoHell now.

TopherSho

Quote from: EcoHell on November 08, 2021, 12:11:38 AM

So with what you are saying, I would have received codes with a 2 bar installed as opposed to the required 3.bar with my tune.  Interesting.

Yup ..

EcoHell

Posted this on other forums..so why retype the same information.. hopefully every one had a great July 4th.  Enjoy..

Ok.. it has been a while since I posted here. But more mods have been installed on EcoHell.  I had my hands full with my 9+ month old puppy (Thor), at the shop, so pictures were a little scarce..I will take more and update.  Any hoot.. enjoy..

Even Thor was impressed with the Steeda Anti-Sway bar...HA!

Installed Bilstein B6s all around..
]

Replaced the Transmission Torque Strut with Tony DiCunzolo's version...
Stock:

Tony's:

Also an oil change, new plugs and the other day, I installed the sequential mirror turn signals.