• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Has anyone seen this article?

Started by jbrown9999, July 09, 2018, 10:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoNoff

Quote from: bpd1151 on July 10, 2018, 01:16:29 AM
That auto start/stop crap is annoying.

I thought my sisters escape ran out of fuel the first time I drove it. Talk about a friggin stupid and useless system.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

StealBlueSho

Quote from: shoNoff on July 30, 2018, 06:23:52 PM

I thought my sisters escape ran out of fuel the first time I drove it. Talk about a friggin stupid and useless system.

It saves fuel! Or so they say..... my company car has that "feature"...

On a nice hot humid day you come to a stop at a light... engine goes off... the AC goes from nice and cold to cool and humid...

If you leave the car in sport mode it disables the start/stop stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 31, 2018, 07:50:01 AM

On a nice hot humid day you come to a stop at a light... engine goes off... the AC goes from nice and cold to cool and humid...

For modern engines,  with SUPER LEAN burn direct injection tech it amounts to about 1/10 2/10's a gallon savings on the EPA driving cycle.  it is super useless unless you live in cali and sit in idle for hours on end .. and in that event you die from heatstroke.

s/s on port injected machines .. slight better.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on July 31, 2018, 11:03:09 AM

For modern engines,  with SUPER LEAN burn direct injection tech it amounts to about 1/10 2/10's a gallon savings on the EPA driving cycle.  it is super useless unless you live in cali and sit in idle for hours on end .. and in that event you die from heatstroke.

I wouldn't say it's useless, I think more is burned than what folks may think.

Port and DI both idle at Lambda 1.

When the Cmax idles at a light you can lose .1-.3 MPG depending on how long the light is. Consider that's with the Atkinson trickery going on with the valves.

It's not just fuel mileage, part of this is for emissions.

That being said, not giving folks the ability to turn it off is lame.

Ultimately we can't be upset with the manufacturers, ASS is a result of an overzealous EPA/CAFE giving manufacturers unrealistic goals forcing their hand and we get to pay for it.

Now at the dealership my fine lady works at the common complaint is that it doesn't function. Of course its functioning but they just can't understand that there are a whole bunch of hidden parameters that must be met before it engages.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 31, 2018, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on July 31, 2018, 11:03:09 AM

I wouldn't say it's useless, I think more is burned than what folks may think.

Port and DI both idle at Lambda 1.

When the Cmax idles at a light you can lose .1-.3 MPG depending on how long the light is. Consider that's with the Atkinson trickery going on with the valves.

It's not just fuel mileage, part of this is for emissions.

That being said, not giving folks the ability to turn it off is lame.

Ultimately we can't be upset with the manufacturers, ASS is a result of an overzealous EPA/CAFE giving manufacturers unrealistic goals forcing their hand and we get to pay for it.

Now at the dealership my fine lady works at the common complaint is that it doesn't function. Of course its functioning but they just can't understand that there are a whole bunch of hidden parameters that must be met before it engages.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I like burning Dino's...........